• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bringing a Northwest 28D Crawler Dragline back to life

texascadillac42

About a year ago I purchased a Cat 120G grader for resale, and part of the deal was that I take "an old dragline" the yard manager told me. The old dragline turned out to be a 1980 Northwest 28D, which had not run in about 15 or 20 years. Animals had moved in on it and chewed up most of the air lines, and packed tons of sticks and debris into the motor and radiator. I had already bought the grader, so I figured I should check out what else I had just "purchased"

As I walked up to the machine, it was a bit of a sight for sore eyes. But I figured the price was right so I looked a little closer. As I crawled around the machine a little more I noticed that under all the debris and dust and dirt, it was really in very good shape. Crawled around a little more and got to hour meter on the Cat 3304-T........1200 hours. I checked three times to make sure I wasn't misreading it, and thats what it was, 1200 hrs. Turns out it was only used to clean a couple thousand feet of waterways a few times a year. I decided that the machine was too good to scrap, or part out so I decided to come back and see if we could get it back into its former glory.

A few weeks later I loaded up the truck with everything I could think of and headed back to the site (about 5 hrs away). Spent most of the 1st day cleaning the crane out, sticks, leaves, debris, dead mice, you name it, it was in there. I checked the oil and saw it was right up to the full mark. The radiator had multiple holes in it from sticks being poked into it, so running it long, IF it would ever start was not an option. Threw 2 new 8D batteries in it, hooked a 5 gallon can of diesel to the pump, replaced the fuel filter and primed the system up.

An hour later I determined that the injection pump was probably contaminated with water,leading to rust. Took the side of the pump off and confirmed that the pump was indeed rusted up, not allowing the plungers to move. A quick drive into Memphis to Thompson Machinery (local Cat dealer) and I returned with the socket needed to pull the plungers out. (This dealer was great, and the pump shop loaned me the socket, and said to just mail it back when I was done!) Got back, took the pump apart and found that it was gonna need to new plunger assemblies. Back to Cat, who had them in stock, and they went in no problem. Primed the system again and hoped for the best. Bumped the motor, and wouldnt you know it, it fired up like it had run yesterday! :D

Oil pressure came right up, it built air quickly and sounded great. A few hours later I had the 4 air lines specific to the propulsion system replaced and figured it was time to see if it would move. The motor fired right back up, built up the air pressure and pushed the propel air control lever forward. I looked out the window and watched the clutches engage, and it lurched forward.....pulled it the other way and it rolled back. Amazing, after 15 years of sitting, this old dragline came back to life. The dragline is now for sale and waiting to be put back into service.....

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 9,313
  • Crane 010.jpg
    Crane 010.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5,376
  • Crane 004.jpg
    Crane 004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,663

DigDug

Like to hear these kinds of stories. Good luck with it. :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums texascadillac42! :drinkup

ror76a

Great find. Not like I need another dragline, but I have to ask... How much? I would give you double what you paid for it :D. I have never herd of a 28D Northwest before (must be a late model) what size is it - bucket, lift capacity, etc?

texascadillac42

I dont have any specs on it other than its physical size. It weighs about 65,000 with the boom on it (55ft), and is 11'6" wide track to track. It had a 3/4 Hendrix bucket with it. I have spoken with both Dicks Crane Service in IL and Gerhart Machinery in PA, and they told me that it was a very late model machine, with few in production. Im asking $14,000 for it and I *think* I have it sold.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Never heard of a 28D either...great to hear it'll be saved and brought back to life :drinkup

Buddy

Occupation
Equipment mechanic (Retired)
Northwest 28-D

The Northwest 28D was basicly the same machine as the 25D except , the 28D was a air controlled machine.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I always like to hear about rescue stories! Only thing that would have made it better, is if it had a tree growing through it! Any more pics?
Thanks
Alan627b

texascadillac42

Sure. Here you go. I wish I had more pics for you.

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4,593
  • Crane 009.jpg
    Crane 009.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 4,615

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
If you like Northwests go to Gerhart Equipment in Lititz PA. About 40 acres of old equipment mostly Northwest cranes. There is a truck show there every October.

woodchuck2

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From the looks of it you certainly came out ahead on that deal. That machine still looks good for being neglected so long. A little paint "Dupont rebuild" and it would look new again. Good luck with the sale.

jong0726

crane service

when you are in need of a crane service for assistance, always make a background check so that you will be properly assisted at all times.

jong0726

your car broke down and you don't know what to do, make a quick call and ask for assistance.

Marine Mark

Hello texascadillac42, I just purchased a 28d myself that needs some help. Looking for a good vender for parts and a manual as well. Can you point me in the right direction ? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Marine Mark