• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Breaker chisel guards

Cartoondude135

This is something that's very uncommon - yet ingenious. And I have yet to find anything about this on manufacturer sites that make breakers for backhoes and excavators.concrete.jpg breaker cover.jpg NPK breaker chains.jpg NPK breaker chains 2.jpg So far, the manufacturers I contacted don't make covers for breaker chisels like the ones shown above. But let's try and spread word about this feature for all breakers..

AzIron

Some mud flaps and ratchet straps go a long ways but I dont like losing visibility of the point

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We've been using hunks of nasty carpet forever, people throw that out lol.

Only do it when there's something fragile that can't be moved.

DGODGR

For the applications pictured above these types of shrapnel guards could be effective in providing an added layer of safety (though I don't think that the breaking of asphalt would ever generate shrapnel). I don't see how they would work for my application though. I break bedrock and the angles required often would make the chains drift out of position and render them ineffective. There are a couple reasons that I don't like the carpet/mudflap option either. First is that my tool ("point" or "gad"...the part that sticks out and actually contacts the material to be broken) is about 5' long and about 3' sticks out below the housing. That would require a pretty big piece of carpet. Second is the fact that one must use precision to place the tool to the rock. Most of the time this requires that one be able to clearly see what he is doing and the carpet (and to a lesser degree) even the chains create visual obstructions. Fortunately we don't usually have ground personnel near the work, nor do we have to worry about cars, etc. (as in the pictures above). If we are close to buildings, etc. we would use something like plywood. This could even be employed in situations like those portrayed above. What we do have to worry about is the windows of the carrier and those can get expensive now that all the MFRs like to put curved glass on the cabs. For this I have employed plexi-glass window guards that can be easily removed when not hammering. In my experience, most materials that we commonly break do not tend to generate much shrapnel. Experience with the breaker, choosing the correct tool for the material, and the angles of attack that the operator employs also can reduce shrapnel. Some materials will, however be prone to producing shrapnel.