• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brand New unused 966K with this malfunction

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
We got a brand new unused 966K wheel loader 2012 year built, come to us 2014 year. It was ok, but later after a while we found this problem

Steering Malfunction, E192-3 Shundown safely
Steer Motor Torq Snsr Voltage High, 2866-3 Shundown safely.

Anyone knows what could be the problem, and how to fix it? Is it expensive to fix this?
The machine is still never used till now.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.JPG
    IMG_5902.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

auen1

On our stupid Volvo's, a lot of the time,
turning off the battery main disconnect, master switch,
for 10 minutes, fixes a lot of electrical issues like that. Lol.
It could be a sensor starting to go out/or loose connection, giving an infrequent error code to the computer.
If that doesn't work, the mechanic's will try to cancel the code either by using the keypad on the dash or hooking up a computer.
And ordering up a new sensor.

Maybe not much help, but maybe something to try.

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
There is a reason they only made the K's for a couple years.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As others have said a Serial Number would be a great start.

Meantime I am of the opinion that both your Codes/Events are related. The E192 Event is activated when ECM does not receive expectant steering position signals. There can be a number of reasons for this but one of them is "2866 (Steering Control Force Feedback Motor Torque Sensor)" so logically your 2866-03 Diagnostic Code is the most likely root cause of the E192 Shutdown request.

The 2866-03 indicates that the ECM has detected that the duty cycle (voltage) of the Steering Control Force Feedback Motor Torque Sensor circuit is above the high threshold. There is a detailed troubleshooting procedure for this Code, so if you want to drop me a PM with your email address I'll send it to you. It will require a digital multimeter and possibly the Electrical Schematic for the machine, but with the Serial Number I can send you that as well.

IronsideMech

I am having the same issue with a 966K TFS. will idle all day (forward, reverse, articulate, boom functions) no problem. Increase idle to 1400 rpm+ and it stalls. Almost like a low fuel pressure problem. A few aftertreatment lights flash up while dying out but only consistent DTC is the E192(3) sometimes accompanied by the steering control force feedback motor alarm. This machine has been plaguing me for a while. Will work good for a few months then act up again. Did you guys find a fix for this issue?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We had a load of steering system pressure sensor issues causing the secondary steering pump to be periodically cycling on/off trying to maintain system pressure when the sensor signal went AWOL. Might be worth a look.

I think you may be missing some Diagnostic Codes because according to the description below you need to have 585 & 693 present before an E192 will light up. Do you have access to ET to get hooked up to the machine.

1695847301902.png

IronsideMech

I have been utilizing ET to monitor parameters and DTC's. This machine is acting very strange.

Events
Implement ECM;
E192(3) Steering System Malfunction (6 occurrences)

Machine ECM;
E192(3) Steering System Malfunction (6 occurrences)

Implement ECM;
247-9 SAE J1939 Data Link: Abnormal Update Rate (7 occurrences)
248-9 Cat Data Link not communicating (7 occurrences)
590-9 Engine Control Module: Abnormal Update Rate (7 occurrences)

Trans ECM;

Machine control ECM;
248-9 Cat Data Link not communicating (7 occurrences)

Checked all relatively exposed connections, J1/J2's and ground/supply junctions. Also ran a datalog report and found only parameter that seems suspicious is that the system voltage drops off entirely a second or so before the RPM/fuel pressure/oil pressure parameters drop off and it stalls. Even though system voltage is a solid 28 volts.

We are leaning towards a datalink issue, working on confirming that. Just thought I would check with you guys as it appears this was a similar issue a few years back.

IronsideMech

Sometimes with the E192(3) there will be a 3082-12 but not very consistently, maybe 1 out of every 6 E192(3) faults.

ahart

I would be having a close look at the harness going to and coming from the engine ECM as it looks like the other controllers are losing connection to it. While ET is connected, wiggle the harness and see if you lose connection to the engine ECM.

IronsideMech

Thanks for the input fellas. Was strange with how intermittent its been but after several hours of diag it ended up being the engine ECM.