• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brakes on a case w14 payloader 1975

lenray

Wanting to check out the brakes on the loader. Removed the rear wheel , but the brake drum does not just come off. There is more tear down.
Any of you fellas been into this type of job. Thanks for any help. len in michigan

Cat_man320

very poor engineering at its finest . You have to pull the whole planetary to remove the drum . pull the cover, take out side axle take out planetary then remove the nuts and then you can slide the drum off . how stupid when they could have had the drum come off over the planetary just like trucks today with the bud wheels . replace the inner seal before you install the drum again . easiest way is to rig up a hoist and sling the drum so it is positioned so that you don't damage the new seal . hope this helps .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
very poor engineering at its finest . You have to pull the whole planetary to remove the drum .

Well this is not a design "flaw" for Case as just about all loaders with drum brakes are made that way. How about some of the loaders with inboard wet disk brakes where you have to drop the complete axle assembly and take off the outer housings on each side to get at the brakes? Of course "most of the time" they will last for 10's of thousands of hours with no repairs needed, but when one little oring starts leaking and fills the axle with brake oil. Almost got to do that job on a 977 a year ago but they shipped it to another shop in the company despite our shop having the best overhead crane system in the company for that kind of work and being over an hours travel time closer to the machines location! Despite being all male management people I still liked to refer to them as single women as in Miss Management!:tong

Cat_man320

Well this is not a design "flaw" for Case as just about all loaders with drum brakes are made that way. How about some of the loaders with inboard wet disk brakes where you have to drop the complete axle assembly and take off the outer housings on each side to get at the brakes? Of course "most of the time" they will last for 10's of thousands of hours with no repairs needed, but when one little oring starts leaking and fills the axle with brake oil. Almost got to do that job on a 977 a year ago but they shipped it to another shop in the company despite our shop having the best overhead crane system in the company for that kind of work and being over an hours travel time closer to the machines location! Despite being all male management people I still liked to refer to them as single women as in Miss Management!:tong

Never said it was a flaw , I said it's poor engineering . Any person with a grain of common sense would never design something that stupid. The internal bake system is just a way to keep from repairing these things yourself . I have been a heavy equipment owner /operator for over 50 years and some of the thing I have seen , I have to walk away scratching my head . A lot of equipment these days are over engineered and under common sensed. IMO Some of these so-called smart engineers should be forced to do repairs on some of the equipment when it becomes 10 or 20 yrs old , I bet they would have a different attitude after .

kshansen

Occupation
Cat_man320, Want to know what I think it one of the worst designs for construction equipment? Curved glass windshields! Flat glass I can call the glass man over the other side of town and he will remove broken glass and cut new one and have it installed same day for very little $. Curved glass probably need to order from dealer and hope it doesn't get broke in shipping or while being installed luckily I got out of the business before we had to do any of them.

Do agree it would have been nice if the drum brake systems had been designed with the drums held on with the wheel studs, over the road trucks finally seem to be going that route, but we were still running Macks with cast spoke wheels that were a pain to do a simple swap out of worn shoes.

On the other hand we had a 769D Cat truck that you could swap out the front pads without jacking up the truck or taking the wheels off. Back out a couple 3/8 bolt set screws, slide anchor pins back and use pry bar to push the pistons back into calipers, slide out old pads and slip in new pads, push pins back in and tighten set screws and you're good for the next race! Easier to do than the front pads on an F-150!

Last edited:

Cat_man320

Curved glass , another scam where you have to go to the dealer . my 315 , my 320 , 330 and 365 have all curved windshields . I popped a small rock through the windshield of my 315 , go to the dealer and they want $1200 for a piece of glass that is about 28 x 36 . I don't waste money like that. I go to the hardware store , pick up two pieces of 1/2 in aluminum angle and pop rivet to the sliding frame , get a piece of glass cut to my demensions and stick it in place with the windshield poly ?????. Grand total of $110.00 and thats' tinted too . One of the worst engineered things I owned was an old John Deere 1010 back hoe . The steering rod went through a hole in the rad . To remove the rad , you had to remove the steering box and the steering rod . Absolute idiots whoever built it !!!!!!

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Cat_man320, Want to know what I think it one of the worst designs for construction equipment? Curved glass windshields! Flat glass I can call the glass man over the other side of town and he will remove broken glass and cut new one and have it installed same day for very little $. Curved glass probably need to order from dealer and hope it doesn't get broke in shipping or while being installed luckily I got out of the business before we had to do any of them.

kshansen, +100. Isn't that the darned truth. And the wipers don't work worth sh1t on the curved glass.

(For me, the worst idea in equipment is Deere's stupid square button switch pad. Put all of the switches, except the heat and fan, on one square thing to your right side. You have to look away from the road to look to find the switch that you need to use. Flash the head lights? Um, no. That requires cycling thru the three or two available modes. Wipe the windshield once, to wipe away a splash? Um, no. That requires you to stop to look to find the button, press once for intermittent press a second time for slow press a third time for high, before you can press a fourth time to turn the wipers off. Computer game stupidity.)

PS Re Case W14 brakes, I seem to remember that the front and rear hub bearing nuts are different sizes, just to be irritating.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Kinda feel bad for taking this thread off on a tangent, but agree on the controls that you need actually look at to be sure you are hitting the right one. And it's not just heavy equipment but cars also, even more dangerous when going down the road in traffic at 70mph! Touch screens are probably about the worst no real tactile feel to know if you actually did something or not.