• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bonding scenarios?

DigDug

We are having a hard time getting bonded , especially on demo jobs. I have got some small bonds for street openings ($30K) but am looking for help/ideas on getting bonded for larger amounts. In the range of $200k - $500k. Do some contractors join together to get bonded? Will bonding companies take real estate for collateral? Who is a good bonding company to work with? Thanks for your input. doug

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Liquid assets are the main thing bonding companies look for I think.
The second is job performance history.
So if you haven't bonded any demo jobs they are going to be leery of the idea.
If you have done these without bonding provide as much info about the previous jobs as possible and be sure and share about all the money you made. :) Bonding companies like you to make money, have money, and get the job done.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a limited experience with bonding and let me tell you they get the rubber gloves out!:eek: Digdug I here what you are saying with the smaller bonds - like subdivision bonds ($20k-30K), erosion control bonds ($3k-6K) and sidewalk/street improvement performance bonds ($2k-$5k) - yeah I know:beatsme. These bonds were fairly easy to get.

The kicker is I had to have a $750K performance bond for a development I am finishing - which I did not know the City required before I started moving dirt:Banghead and I had already purchased the property (that is another story). It took me 3 months of constant paperwork, faxes, emails and phone calls to get it. The bonding companies ultimately want to see liquid assets in the amount of the current bonds you have or are trying to get - which in a perfect world happens but in reality if you had that kind of money would you be out working your xxx off or need their services?:beatsme

The bonding companies do take into consideration real estate, equipment owned, savings accounts, etc (cash being the key) when they underwrite you. My wife, which does not own any of the company, had to sign the personal guarantee before we got the bond. The bonding company will want to know everything that you and the corporate officers of the company own, are currently involved in, bank account amounts and the like. Like I said it is frustrating at best. Hope this helps.

Anchor Insurance brokered our bond locally but I can't remember the company that provided it.

Last edited:

DigDug

Thanks 1995 , I do have quite alot of real estate and assets . I do have alot of experience and equipment. But it seems to me that they are judging me more by credit . I will look for another bonding company and tell them that i have assets and experience . Hopefully i can get somewhere. Right now I am hooking up with a huge company to do some jobs with us , just to get the bonding taken care of. doug