• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat T300 Keyless issue

02Vetteracer

Hope someone has an idea with this one. We have had this Bobcat T300 since new. There has been a random issue with the keyless entry/security on the machine starting during the second year we had it. During the normal starting procedures i.e. sit in machine, lower lap bar, press yellow enter button, enter code, press start, press unlock.. off we go. Well intermittent until recently the keyless screen wouldn't "Power-up". Meaning, there is nothing on the screen after pressing the yellow enter button. Sometimes you can enter two digits but will not allow a third. I don't know if the two things are related but that is the randomness of the problem. When there is nothing on the screen you can press the light button on the left panel and the screen will power up but most of the time nothing further happens. We have had the Bobcat tech's out at least a dozen times and still no positive results. There are several jumper wires the tech's said will fix the problem but still no noticeable improvement. The most recent tech showed me one of the gang plugs under the seat to unplug/replug blow out etc..
Any ideas??

02Vetteracer

I'm having a "keyed" panel shipped and will arrive on Monday, I don't know if this will fix the problem because we have already changed the Deluxe panel once. The machine is at this point sold to a friend of ours and obviously we don't want to ship this with any mechanical issues. Again if anyone has had a similar problem with their machine please advise.

Colorado Digger

i have seen that problem on my s 300's as well. mostly when it is super cold. a friend has an A300 and his keypad is trashed b'c his guys use things like screwdrivers to push on it. i prefer a key

02Vetteracer

I've wanted to convert this to a keyed ignition for some time now, but the random nature of the issue had everyone convinced that the issue might be in the harness somewhere, and for the life of me I hate tracking a 12v bug. Have you converted a machine to keyed from keyless? I will go through the downgrade prompts on the keypad -- just wondering if I'm about to open a serious can of 12v worms.

Arabhacks

Banned
Occupation
Underemplyed Operator
Conversion.

Hello.

You can downgrade at this time and go back again later, if for no other reason than to try and isolate the trouble.
But before you do this I would change the operator code, perhaps one button is going bad.
This is a membrane type switch, little bits of metal that deform to make electrical contact.
So, clearly there is something to go wrong.
AND, it might not be the 3rd digit button.
If the second digit button gets stuck the panel will not accept the 3rd digit.
I have rebuilt the units by replacing the keypads with the type of thing you will find on payphones.
You can not order just the keypad, it is the whole thing or nothing.

02Vetteracer

Thanks arabhacks, I haven't considered the sticking button thing. I'll bet I have a STOP button sticking and the second digit button sticking. This would create my random "no power up" and "third digit" issue. Since, I've replaced the panel once before, 05' I think it was, and I've already ordered the keyed ignition, I'll downgrade the electronics and see where that leads me. I'll send the keypad with the machine to the new owner and advise him of the possibility and he can have the option of upgrading back.

dukecharmary

S330 keyless display

Hello Arabhacks, reading your post here I see you have done some tinkering with the keyless systems. I have a '07 S330 and the hour meter display has quit working. All else OK but nothing from that display. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the LCD display or maybe change it out without changing the entire panel? Note that the speed and codes that normally display on this same display do not show either, the LCD has quit working.
Thanks, Charlie
Hello.

You can downgrade at this time and go back again later, if for no other reason than to try and isolate the trouble.
But before you do this I would change the operator code, perhaps one button is going bad.
This is a membrane type switch, little bits of metal that deform to make electrical contact.
I have rebuilt the units by replacing the keypads with the type of thing you will find on payphones.

02Vetteracer

When I changed out my Keyless ignition I found the harness leading from the Hour meter panel was kinked "nastily" behind the headlight on the keypad side. Check you harnesses for continuity and abrasions there is a bunch of sharp edges along the wires route back and forth.
Just my two cents.
Ron

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
yeah it could be all sorts of things have you had a radio installed in it. if so how where the speakers hung i personally have blasted a self taper or two through the harness on accident and had to get a new harness for one. learned that mistake quick and always made sure the harness was at the back of the cab to keep this from happening again. it could be the controller going bad a bad connection pushed back pins rotted pins from corrosion. bad wires broke in the insulation making contact at times. The plug under the cab where the cab harness and mainharness plug in seen it there also. check the main harness where it goes by the hyd tank where the cab hinges. near the heater valve by the lights and panels in front espessialy by the left panel where it makes that bend seen them rub and ground there also

Wagz_zgaW

A300

I have a A300 and the Keyless pad is acting up, I want to replace it with a key panel. Where you able to replace the unit yourself? Or did it require a Bobcat tech. I found a feature for downgrade in the menu. I think I can press it so It will allow me to install a keypad, but I dont want to try it unless it works for sure.

Jeremy

02Vetteracer

The changeover to the Key version from the Key Less took less than 5 min and solved the problem. The downgrade function on the keypad has simple prompts to follow and went without any issues. While I was removing the Keypad from the machine I took time to wire-tie the bundle and neatly repack the harness. The pocket for the panel has several sharp corners behind the headlight on both sides of the gauge panel and key panel to chafe and mine were close to have worn through on several wires. I purchased a used key panel from our local dealer and saved big $ vs. New. I only wish I did this several years and several $$$$ ago.

dukecharmary

new panel installed

I thoroughly looked everything over to make sure it wasn't something other than the panel inself and could find nothing. I even tried to see if there was a way to just change out the LCD without any luck. Talked to a Bobcat tech and he said very good chance the panel was bad. So I installed a new one myself and all was well again but it took $300 bucks to do it. Installation was simple and straightforward. I could have done without LCD because the panel itself was working just did not have readout, so no hourmeter for charges and maintenance etc.

KDAWGZ

02Vetteracer -

I was looking at my neighbors machine (S250) with the keyless system and he is having the same issue you were having. I don't know much about the keyless entry...but based on what you said up top...once you get in the machine you press the yellow button to power up the display...then you can enter a code. On his machine...seems no matter what you press on the keypad side...the screen is off. Again I assume the yellow button turns it on. Also as you said...when we turn the lights on from the buttons on the other control panel (Left side of the machine) the keypad screen will then turn on. But this will only show a bobcat logo and doesnt seem to let you enter a code. Sounds like you were able to downgrade only because you were able to work on the keypad side sometimes...which you have to do to be able to downgrade. Since we cant get in at all it sounds like this is not an option for us. I'm wondering if it is a wire issue...or if the keypad unit is bad.

Any info would help as I see this is an old post and maybe new info has come up.

Thanks

02Vetteracer

We did sell our t300 shortly after back in 2010, the downgrade procedure was easy for me at the time but my screen did work, some of the keys randomly did not. The down grade was worked through the master code and prompts guided me through the rest of the way. She fired right up and to this day is still working strong in south Fl. You may have to have a dealer help you by installing a different deluxe panel then downgrading to a keyed panel. My experience with this issue it will be worth the effort if you follow through.
Good luck

KDAWGZ

Thanks for your help. Did the key replacement panel plug into the same harness that the deluxe box did? If so and it all worked...I'm guessing this home issue had nothing to do with wiring and that the deluxe panel was bad? I find it funny how it didn't turn on with the yellow button...but got some power when lights were on as yours did.

02Vetteracer

Yes it plugged into the same harness. We had techs from bobcat out to service the issue numerous times, each time they insisted there was a bad wire or lead feeding the panel, keep in mind that this machine was one of the first built and had gremlins falling out of it from day one and many of our customers that use the same machine had never experienced anywhere near the horrors we had endured. At least for the company that we sold the machine to the troubles were pretty much solved by then. I will tell you that every equipment purchase since and in the future--until the last machine is made, we will twist a key before typing in any code. I hope you can find a donor deluxe panel to do the downgrade with otherwise you've got an expensive piece of yard art.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
Hello.

Thats exactly what was wrong with my T190. One of the digits was operating occasionally, then all together went out, switched screens with another T190 changed the pin and reinstalled old panel, no problems since.

AmCrane

Occupation
Chief of Operations American Crane Truck and Equip
I see you guys know a bit about T300's I have one we put a new motor in, but when we reassembled everything the tech says we got our sensors on the bottom of the hyd pump 180 degrees off, and have to pull the motor... has anyone ever heard of this? the machine beeps a code when it starts, but otherwise runs fine....

todd218

Just a quick note. I have a a300 with the keyless pad and some of the numbers(#4) quit working one time when it was really cold and was locked. I was able to get it to accept it once more that changed my code and has been working ever since.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
I see you guys know a bit about T300's I have one we put a new motor in, but when we reassembled everything the tech says we got our sensors on the bottom of the hyd pump 180 degrees off, and have to pull the motor... has anyone ever heard of this? the machine beeps a code when it starts, but otherwise runs fine....[/GUOTE]

That would suck. I still think if that what was throwing the code, I would pull it back out and make it right, at least this time around you should be able to pull it all that much faster...