• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat S175 wiring issue

rjprice

Background: Had the machine parked for about a month. The battery died and the machine was dead when I went to start it. The battery was over 5 years old so I figured it was time and I replaced it. After replacing the battery, when I went to start it, it turns over but will not start. Plenty of fuel, etc. I suspected the Fuel Shutoff solenoid and tested it using the procedure in the bobcat manual. It was out of spec by both ohm tests. I removed the solenoid, grounded it to the engine, and it started right away and ran normal. I went out and got a new one and when I installed it, it still turns over but does not start. No voltage to fuel cutoff solenoid.

I suspected a wiring issue and started looking for chewed wires or corroded connections. So I found out what the deal is: 4 of the wires on the J1 P01 controller plug are chewed in half, including the #40 pin position which is Fuel Pull Relay. Of course the wire is chewed off right at the plug. May be too short to solder. The other wires are longer and can be repaired, I think. Does anyone know if pins on this plug can be replaced? What is the usual repair for this? Do I have to replace the "mainframe harness" and if so how much is it?

crewchief888

Your local bobcat dealer may provide you with a factory replacement connector and pigtails.
Dealers have a connector kit for harness/connector repairs.
harness parts are not available through parts department.
Another option would be a harness replacement, not cheap, but sometimes it's the "best" option.

:eek:

rjprice

Thanks. Wow the harness is $1650 and the dealer wants 8-9 hours to install at $110/hr. The guy I talked to said they don't repair harnesses and no pigtail is available. I'm going to try another dealer I think.

crewchief888

Any chance a dealer might cut me some slack on this repair?

depends on how much business you've done with them in the past....

maybe ask the service department if they have any old harnesses laying around... you might get lucky, and find the connector you need, and be able to remove the damaged terminals, and replace them.
out in the field, i do a lot of harness repairs.
typically we'll only repair a harness a couple times (emergencies) after that ya gotta pony up for a replacement...

rjprice

Thanks. I talked to the bobcat dealer (San Antonio) and they told me they would not repair it due to liability (fire).

The damaged wires were at one of the huge plugs that plug into the controller. Plug J1 P01. I was able to solder a wire onto the remnant of the fuel pull relay wire and the machine starts as soon as you hit the starter. I repaired the other three wires also. There were two identical broken green wires so I had to guess where they attached to. I got no beeps so I assume I guessed correctly. No codes no beeps.

I still don't have headlights. The tail lights work and the dash lights up as it should but no headlights. I will continue to trace those wires to see if I can get them working.

I did a charging system check just for giggles. I'm not sure the (new) battery is fully charged but the alternator output reads 15.2v. Is this too high?????

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I did a charging system check just for giggles. I'm not sure the (new) battery is fully charged but the alternator output reads 15.2v. Is this too high?????

Yes, if your meter is accurate 15.2 volts is a bit high, the main controller isn't going to like that.

As for the liability reasoning, you have to consider everything is legal nowdays and companies have to respond accordingly because, after all, if a person can successfully sue McDonalds because coffee is actually served hot (who knew?) then anything is possible when it comes to litigation. It sucks, but that's our new world

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Voltage regulator is inside the alternator. I would at the very least remove the alternator and take it to an alternator/starter shop and have them bench test it. If it's out of spec have them go through it and make it right because the main controller ain't gonna like 15.2 volts on the system.

crewchief888

typically a bobcat will charge 14.1-14.4 volts at idle.
15volts is really pushing what the controller likes to see...

your lights are on 2 seperate curcuits, headlights and rear red lights should come on with the 1st push of the button. rear works lights (white) should come on when the 2nd indicator lights up.

if the front lights/rear red lights are not working, but rear work lights are, check the fuse and front light relay.

rjprice

typically a bobcat will charge 14.1-14.4 volts at idle.
15volts is really pushing what the controller likes to see...

your lights are on 2 seperate curcuits, headlights and rear red lights should come on with the 1st push of the button. rear works lights (white) should come on when the 2nd indicator lights up.

if the front lights/rear red lights are not working, but rear work lights are, check the fuse and front light relay.

In my case both sets of rear lights work as they should but the headlights don't work. Do the headlight wires run in the headliner of the cab?

Also, what could cause the over charging alternator? I don't think the diodes are bad and from what I can tell the regulator is good. All the wiring looks ok also.

Last edited:

crewchief888

i'd be willing to bet both front headlight bulbs are burned out...

if you are overcharging the only thing thats wrong is the alternator is bad...

rjprice

Well, I traced the headlight wire from the cab to the top/behind of the hydraulic oil tank. The wire was chewed right at a big connector. Soldered it and the lights work now. Took the alternator to an alternator shop and it was charging 15.2v. Regulator was rusted. Guy totally rebuilt it for $150. Bobcat wanted $250 for a new one. Puts out 14.2v now.

If I took it to the dealer for the wiring harness/headlights/charging system, it probably would have cost about $3000. I fixed it for $300. Not bad for guy who analyzes bonds for a living. Thanks to all who chimed in to help!

Now I got to figure out how to keep the mice out.

65specialk

Background: Had the machine parked for about a month. The battery died and the machine was dead when I went to start it. The battery was over 5 years old so I figured it was time and I replaced it. After replacing the battery, when I went to start it, it turns over but will not start. Plenty of fuel, etc. I suspected the Fuel Shutoff solenoid and tested it using the procedure in the bobcat manual. It was out of spec by both ohm tests. I removed the solenoid, grounded it to the engine, and it started right away and ran normal. I went out and got a new one and when I installed it, it still turns over but does not start. No voltage to fuel cutoff solenoid.

I suspected a wiring issue and started looking for chewed wires or corroded connections. So I found out what the deal is: 4 of the wires on the J1 P01 controller plug are chewed in half, including the #40 pin position which is Fuel Pull Relay. Of course the wire is chewed off right at the plug. May be too short to solder. The other wires are longer and can be repaired, I think. Does anyone know if pins on this plug can be replaced? What is the usual repair for this? Do I have to replace the "mainframe harness" and if so how much is it?
I had a similar problem. I went to a salvage yard near me and found a burned machine. I cut the end I need and spliced it . Luclily the end I needed was not burnt .