• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat E35i hydraulic oil cooler air bleed port id?

Clguest

Service manual instructions for changing hydraulic oil on the Bobcat E35i include bleeding air from a port on top of the hydraulic cooler. Good idea, neat little male port, very accessible; but the service manual does not identify the port. Does anyone know what "diagnostic coupler", as it is called in the manual, is required for use with this port?

Clguest

Instrument port photos taken today, 9/9/16

Above are photos of the instrument port at top of the hydraulic oil cooler (They appear to have been rotated 90 degrees ccc, my apologies) What mating fitting is required to open the 1/2 inch diameter port to atmosphere to bleed air from the system?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 139

melli

Ha, what a coincidence...I was just looking online as to what coupler I needed to test my machine's hydraulic pressures, and you have the same deal...
So far, I have figured out I need a flat faced hydraulic quick connect coupler...problem is, I don't know what size (1/2" or 1/4").
20160909_193225 (Large).jpg

Not only that, I see prices from a $100 to $12 (UK).....
Just need a friggin coupler so I can check pressures....

So, you need a female coupler...size, I don't know. Problem is, once you put a coupler on that, the pressure will be released rather quickly...what kind of pressure could there be in an oil cooler?
For starters, I'd have a hose on the coupler, so oil isn't sprayed inside the engine compartment....if you can find out the model number of kit, you can sometimes find a pic of what it looks like, which would help a lot. Maybe there is a release valve on other end of hose to slowly release pressure...idk
For instance, my pressure diagnostic kit for 331 Bobcat is MEL1355
I recreated the kit for way less than the 1.3k they wanted...just need the right female coupler...best

I saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARKER-SM-2...NNECT-COUPLER-1-4-BODY-6000-PSI-/322255719084

Just not sure if I need a flat face female coupler...for instance, my aux line to thumb, it is flat faced...supposedly to limit contamination and a solid locking mechanism so there is no disconnect under pressure.
ISO 16028 Flushface Interchange - seems to be the right ISO number...again, I don't know the size required.

Last edited:

Clguest

The male instrument port on the E35i here is 1/2 inch outer diameter. The diameter of the orfice that fluid (or air when bleeding) flows out of is 5/16 inch per my measure; but maybe I should re measure as that seems a bit large compared to the OD of 1/2 inch. I found two other ports of the same size and style in the system.

Yes, I will need to connect a hose of some type to the female coupler to manage the oil. In the case of bleeding air from the top of the hydraulic oil cooler, the pressure will be very low. The other ports, when used to check hydraulic pressures, would require a gauge of sufficient rating and possibly a short connecting hose too of sufficient rating for the pressure monitored.

I think we have enough detail now, with the photos, to call a Parker dealer; but I believe this post may be seen by someone who can guide us to select the correct female coupler.

Below is a shot of one of the other identical ports found.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 136

Clguest

I found the Service Manuel lists both the hydraulic test kit, MEL 1355, and also separately a coupler, MEL 1355-12.

Then from a Google search I found:
MEL1355-12: Female Quick Coupler 1/4" NPTF 213165
From: http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=61435

So, this is likely the coupler needed. I will check pricing from the dealer Monday for the coupler. As an alternative, Parker may have a cross reference to this number.

melli

The male instrument port on the E35i here is 1/2 inch outer diameter. The diameter of the orfice that fluid (or air when bleeding) flows out of is 5/16 inch per my measure; but maybe I should re measure as that seems a bit large compared to the OD of 1/2 inch. I found two other ports of the same size and style in the system.

Yes, I will need to connect a hose of some type to the female coupler to manage the oil. In the case of bleeding air from the top of the hydraulic oil cooler, the pressure will be very low. The other ports, when used to check hydraulic pressures, would require a gauge of sufficient rating and possibly a short connecting hose too of sufficient rating for the pressure monitored.

I think we have enough detail now, with the photos, to call a Parker dealer; but I believe this post may be seen by someone who can guide us to select the correct female coupler.

Yeah, not sure what we are supposed to measure...the outside dia of the little O, or the outside dia of the larger O.
BTW - it appears I made a listing of the parts needed for doing a complete hydraulic test of my machine back about 4yrs ago...
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=61435
I bought the parts in 2013, then forgot about them...nothing was wrong with Bobby back then...

What I do know, by looking up my order history, is that I bought 1/4 in. NPT Hydraulic Quick Coupler Body from Princess Auto in Canada...http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-4-in-npt-hydraulic-quick-coupler-body/A-p8350795e
It didn't fit....it went over nipple, but wouldn't lock on. So, I'm guessing we need a Parker FFF 1/4" coupler.

Almost positive we need 1/4" female coupler...don't need anything larger as we are just testing pressures for the most part.
I got the glycerin gauges (0-5000psi and 0-2000psi) at same store for fairly cheap, along with a T and plug so I can put on lower pressure gauge for lower pressure port.

Clguest

Thanks for the input...Yes, and also Parker FF series look similar to what is on the E35.

Attachments

• Parker FF series coupling image_09.10.2016.jpg
    Parker FF series coupling image_09.10.2016.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 127

Clguest

My above reply with FF image was in response to lantraxco...I see melli also is focusing on Parker FF. Yes, I agree that 1/4" is likely the size required, based on your comment about purchasing a female coupler that fit onto the male port. Note that my Service Manual lists the MEL 1355-12 separately from kit part number MEL 1355 so I plan to see what the pricing is on -12 and to confirm with service manager that is what they use.

melli

My above reply with FF image was in response to lantraxco...I see melli also is focusing on Parker FF. Yes, I agree that 1/4" is likely the size required, based on your comment about purchasing a female coupler that fit onto the male port. Note that my Service Manual lists the MEL 1355-12 separately from kit part number MEL 1355 so I plan to see what the pricing is on -12 and to confirm with service manager that is what they use.

I just got back from local hydraulic shop and got a 1/4" Dixon Quick Coupler 2KF2...was the right size (diameter fit was perfect) but didn't work (just a tad too deep). Need the flat face job, which for me, is special order....:mad:

Bobcat went with rather hard to find and expensive couplers...albeit, being flat faced, they are easy clean.

Won't be playing today I guess...:(

melli

Parker isn't the only game in town.
FF2HS-SS Hofmann Fluid Special
F-2HTF2-SS Dixon or one can just get no SS

Getting confused as to which one are 1/4" npt and 1/2" npt....the first two above are the right ones...
AEROQUIP PART # FD89-1001-08-08
HANSEN PART # 12FFS50
PARKER PART # FEM501-8FP
TOMCO PART # EC4-26

These other codes, might be for larger nipples....
AEROQUIP PART # FD89-1001-04-04
HANSEN PART # 6FFS25
TOMCO PART # EC2-16

https://www.amazon.com/Dixon-2HTF2-...00835V878/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

If you find it cheaper, please let me know....

They key is to get one that is this type - HT ISO16028 Flushface Interchange
According to Dixon interchange ref manual.

Last edited:

melli

Parker isn't the only game in town.
FF2HS-SS Hofmann Fluid Special
F-2HTF2-SS Dixon or one can just get no SS

Getting confused as to which one are 1/4" npt and 1/2" npt....the first two above are the right ones...
AEROQUIP PART # FD89-1001-08-08
HANSEN PART # 12FFS50
PARKER PART # FEM501-8FP
TOMCO PART # EC4-26

These other codes, might be for larger nipples....
AEROQUIP PART # FD89-1001-04-04
HANSEN PART # 6FFS25
TOMCO PART # EC2-16

https://www.amazon.com/Dixon-2HTF2-...00835V878/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

If you find it cheaper, please let me know....

They key is to get one that is this type - HT ISO16028 Flushface Interchange
According to Dixon interchange ref manual.

IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID ABOUT WHAT COUPLER TO GET....oops
I got the Dixon 2HTF2 ordered from local hydro shop and it was too big...It would fit a 5/8" diameter male nipple.
So, we got to chatting, and it appears I may need a Dixon 1PDF1, a diagnostic coupler.
What a gong show....tried two, and two fails.
Maybe this will do it?
Anybody who works for Bobcat, I'd sure appreciate a part number...
I could get a partial number off male diagnostic...
20160915_165842-0 (Large).jpg

melli

Yeah, I feel pretty good about the coupler I ordered now....
Dixon 1PDF2 (has 1/4" threads) or 1PDF1 (1/8" threads). It cross references with Parker PD242.
I finally found a schematic showing the male nipple size, and 12.6mm = 1/2"

http://www.fittings-adapters.com/Diagnostic_Couplings_Parker_PD_Series.html

Clguest

I ordered a coupler through the local dealer this week with delivery expected next week. It took several calls and much time to get the service and parts department to recognize that a coupler is not only included as required in the service procedure; but that it was logical that someone at Bobcat, somewhere sometime might actually know what to order. If the ordered item comes in and is what is required, I will post the part number. If not, I will continue the search here with renewed vigor. Do share Melli if your 1PDF2 works when it arrives and you use it. I hope to report a successful part number too in the near future.

melli

Yeah, I feel pretty good about the coupler I ordered now....
Dixon 1PDF2 (has 1/4" threads) or 1PDF1 (1/8" threads). It cross references with Parker PD242.
I finally found a schematic showing the male nipple size, and 12.6mm = 1/2"

http://www.fittings-adapters.com/Diagnostic_Couplings_Parker_PD_Series.html

BINGO! Finally got the right diagnostic fitting
Dixon 1PDF2

Got some preliminary numbers...going to do a full diagnostic test to see what is what...:woohoo:woohoo

Awesome that I can check everything related to pressures on Bobby. Home made kit cost me under $150....
The diagnostic fitting search was the headache...3rd time a charm.

Clguest

Picked up the coupler

Ordered MEL1355-12 from the BC dealer. It was not initially recognized as a Bobcat part by the parts man; but working with the service manager an order went in. When I picked up the part, it was in a plastic bag with the part number and "Quick Coupler, 1/4" Female" on the BOSCH label. Additionally there was a copy of the order to Bosch Automotive Service Solutions from the BC dealer. The item ordered was listed as "COUPLER, QUICK (PD242 F X 1/4F)" which corresponds with melli's statement above:

"Dixon 1PDF2 (has 1/4" threads) or 1PDF1 (1/8" threads). It cross references with Parker PD242."

I will confirm it is what is needed on the next rainy day that I am in the shop. Meantime I am optimistic that this is the coupler that I need.

Price to me was $22.90 US. Additionally the BC dealer added a shipping charge of $13.88, which I had not been forewarned about. :(

melli

Glad to hear you got the right one on the first go...lol
Being in Canada, we get soaked a tad more than you did...still, beats paying $1300 for the kit or $$/hr for mech visit.
I understand you just need it for relieving pressure in oil line...shouldn't be much pressure in system, if any. On my older machine, one can do a pressure relief by turning key to start and moving joysticks etc...
On my diagnostic test, I got near zero on that test.
That coupler will come in handy for diagnostics....
Can do a full panel test on everything, pretty much. Can even mod your pressures...