• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 753 Traction Lock Problem

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
I too am having a traction lock problem. I've removed the solenoid but cannot get the plunger out. I put the new solenoid over the plunger and still have the traction lock. I would like to bypass the system to get it into my shed. The wires on the solenoid are Red, Black and White. which do I need to energize to get the plunger up

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
I too am having a traction lock problem. I've removed the solenoid but cannot get the plunger out. I put the new solenoid over the plunger and still have the traction lock. I would like to bypass the system to get it into my shed. The wires on the solenoid are Red, Black and White. which do I need to energize to get the plunger up

I was able to use vise grips to keep the plunger up and move it to the shed. Now at least I can work in comfort.

crewchief888

I'm going to try the parking brake cicuit and see if it is powered.

traction lock is a 2 coil system.

pull coil is powered by the fuse and relay,
hold coil is powered by the controller.

the controller has to see an RPM signal from the engine before the brake will unlock.

if you have an electrical problem with the park brake system, it should be throwing a fault code.

no signal from the RPM sensor typically will not throw a code

:drinkup

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
traction lock is a 2 coil system.

pull coil is powered by the fuse and relay,
hold coil is powered by the controller.

the controller has to see an RPM signal from the engine before the brake will unlock.

if you have an electrical problem with the park brake system, it should be throwing a fault code.

no signal from the RPM sensor typically will not throw a code

Thanks for the great info CrewChief. It is flashing 6 times which I assume is a code.

crewchief888

Thanks for the great info CrewChief. It is flashing 6 times which I assume is a code.

g series machine will show a 4 digit code in the LH display while the code is active.

start machine,
seat bar down,
hit the PTO button.
when the idiot light starts to flash, DO NOT shut the key off, press and hold the light button down until the hour meter display changes and gives you a 4 digit numeric code.

once you key off, the code is cleared in the display, but is saved in the controller.

check the brake fuse and relay before you go too far.

the relays are all the same, you can swap a good known relay in it's place.

if the fuse is blown, you likely have a bad park brake solenoid.

you can check the resistance of the coils (red to black and white to black)

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
I'll give that a shot.

Like magic came came back with 15-03

15-03 retracting solenoid lock rods, erroneous shutdown

Last edited:

crewchief888

traction lock pull coil error off...

check the fuse and relay.

ohm test solenoid

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
traction lock pull coil error off...

check the fuse and relay.

ohm test solenoid

Thanks for that. I've replaced the solenoid with a new one so I can only assume that the solenoid is good. Where is the fuse on this thing? Also when I replaced the solenoid I could not get the plunger out. I've just placed the new solenoid over the old plunger.

crewchief888

Thanks for that. I've replaced the solenoid with a new one so I can only assume that the solenoid is good. Where is the fuse on this thing? Also when I replaced the solenoid I could not get the plunger out. I've just placed the new solenoid over the old plunger.

fuses and relays are below the seat between your feet.

the brake assembly should pull out as long as one (or both) of the disks aren't against the wedge, and have the brake locked.

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
I found the fuse box. I took off the relay for the Traction and put it back in. Works now!!! Thanks Crewchief888!!

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
Actually intermittent now so I'll replace the relay and see if that takes care of it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Look for evidence of a bad connection at the relay socket. You'll typically see evidence of the black plastic of the relay socket melting from heat generated by a bad terminal connection. Could even have a bad wire/terminal connection on the back side of the relay socket. Happens most often with open cab machines where things are exposed to the elements.

Eprn1n2

Occupation
Pilot
Look for evidence of a bad connection at the relay socket. You'll typically see evidence of the black plastic of the relay socket melting from heat generated by a bad terminal connection. Could even have a bad wire/terminal connection on the back side of the relay socket. Happens most often with open cab machines where things are exposed to the elements.

Thanks Willie. The socket looks good with no burning or melting. I'm going to replace the relay and see if that takes care of it. I'd like to hook up the relay to 12V and check continuity.

marie06

Hi can u help me with my F 863..samething happens. Power it on, runs for 5 minutes or maybe more then traction locks and doesnt want to move anymore. Then i just power it off wait a few minutes power it back on and same thing happens. any suggestions what it might be??

crewchief888

on C and F series machines also had some issues with the ground wire that runs from the brake and bics coil back to the battery. the wires shake and vibrate breaking strands of the wire. eventually the ground doesnt make a good connection all the time.

the grounds are tied together in the main harness not far the brake solenoid connector. find that crimped connecting and add another 14g ground to the connection and run that all the way back to the battery.
corroded battery connections will also cause the same symtoms, just because the cables look good, doesnt mean you have a good connection.