• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Blade angle slow to the left on a d4h2

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yours a mechanical valve or electronic control, have not been around the 4H II. If mechanical start looking at linkages and valve mount, something may be bent or shifted or just loose. If electronic others here will need help. Trans heat indicates service may be due, has a lot of bypass internally or cooler is fouling. I do not suspect the latter as the coolant is noted as also heating up. Any slippage in ranges during use? Any sluggishness in shifting from F-R or range to range up/down? What oil wt. and manufacturer was used in the trans last? Lighter oil will bypass easier and heat all that much faster, too heavy will heat from friction trying to move it effectively.

dennis sanders

Thanks for the response...it's mechinical...I had a look at the linkinge....everthing looked ok.....before this the blade lift was slow..now it's normal....just the angle...

dennis sanders

The transmission shifts fine....no hesatation...I've been told the oil cooler may be plugged....I have washed it and blow it out regular......once air temp hits 80f it's starts the overheating......

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Worked on 4H's quite a bit years ago, sounds like the pivot for the angle control on your lever is worn or mis adjusted. it doesn't take much slop in the linkage to lose spool travel.
The trans overheating may be caused by dragging brakes, check to see if there is dirt or other junk keeping the park brake spool from traveling all the way to the downward position when it's disengaged. We used to have to blow that area out once a week.

dennis sanders

That makes a lot of sense since at start up us ally have to push brake pedal a few times to get it to release .....as far as the blade angle it just started out of no where....takes both hands to twist the T handle.....

grandpa

Pull the pins on both your angle cylinders and then try the angle function. It may be one of your angle cylinder has had the nut come loose.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Pull the pins on both your angle cylinders and then try the angle function. It may be one of your angle cylinder has had the nut come loose.
NO, check the control linkage before wasting time with stuff like this. A full 30 percent of my service calls are related to worn control linkage.

dennis sanders

It will angle....just slow...I'm thinking something has gotten in the lever pivot....takes both hands to twist to the left...have to pull back and twist to get it to angle...like its jammed.....yrs back had a steering lever in a450c Deere act the same way...pulled the floor cover .....found a black snake wrapped up around it...

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I can't locate the transmission filter....surely don't have to drop the pan...any help is appreciated.
Trans filter is under the floorboard. the top has 6 half inch bolts holding it on. It's a cartridge type, not a spin on.
And this is one of the reasons they hardly ever get changed. Worked on a D5H a couple months back that had one of the most abysmally plugged filters I have ever seen. Suck everything you can out of the bottom of that housing when you change the filter.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It will angle....just slow...I'm thinking something has gotten in the lever pivot....takes both hands to twist to the left...have to pull back and twist to get it to angle...like its jammed.....yrs back had a steering lever in a450c Deere act the same way...pulled the floor cover .....found a black snake wrapped up around it...
Ah yes... Critters. I once had a D6M that would not move. Frikken rabbits ate the transmission control harness. It had only been sitting over the weekend.

dennis sanders

Would a plugged filter cause transmission oil overheating....it shifts fine....after about a hour the converter oil starts to get in the 200dg causing the coolant to hit 200dg..this is about to drive me insane....I've washed and blow the radiator every couple of days.