• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Better machine for plowing skid steer or compact wheel loader?

JGibson

Hey guys. I work in maintenence for a company. We are looking to start doing our own plowing. We currently have two parking lots and a long driveway. We are considering a Cat 262C or a Terex TL65. Which one would you guys suggest for plowing and some light landscaping? Thanks, John

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Because of how a skid loader turns, they loose traction anything they make an arc. Some of this can be solved by straight line plowing, and turning when your backing up. Now, aside from that little problem, they are very nimble, and provide the operator good visibility when going forward, and almost none backing up.

Now I don't see too many mini wheel loader here in the states, but I do think they are underappreciated. No they can't counter rotate and spin around but they turn well. There tire wear is much less do to the fact that they can turn rather than slide. They do better off an improved surface mobility wise, because there front axle usually pivots. You Can see better backing up.

Checking the specs of the machine, the terex has more weight, operating cap, and a smaller motor. The wheel loader will travel faster and provide a smoother ride. The cat is way ahead if you planning an running hydraulically demanding attachments like a rotary mower or similar. The terex hay not handle a concrete breaker, but I cannot say for sure.

I know which one I'd rather spend all night riding around in... the mini wheel loaders have 3x the ride comfort as a skid loader has. As lond as the wheel loader fit where I needed to go, That's what I'd have. Personally I have a ctl, but I put that ctl on ground that isn't fit to have anything else on.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would consider Wacker Nueson compact wheel loaders. They have some smaller machines that have high flow, so you can run high flow snow blowers and mowers. I demoed a 10K pound WN WL50 last Fall. It was a really nice machine, it sipped fuel, great power and much more comfortable than a skid steer. Check out WN website, you can see all the different wheel loaders and the different configurations that they have. It is impressive.

JDOFMEMI

I had a demo on a Tak compact wheel loader, and it was impressive. I have not plowed with it, but based on what I did do, it would kill a skid or a ctl plowing.

JGibson

Thanks guys for the response. I am leaning towards the loader for your reasons. Immedietley after posting this i looked more into the terex and didn't like what i found. I really like the wacker neusons. Its either a JCB 406b or a Wacker WL50.

Mark13

A buddy has run trucks and skid steers for years plowing snow. Part way through last winter he had the chance to demo a Deere 304K mini loader that he put his 10' arctic box on. Needless to say the Deere never went back to the dealership after the demo period was up. He plans to get a larger pusher for it but said even with the 10' it replaced 2-3 trucks running wideout plows. He drives it all over town. What he gives up in road speed compared to a truck he makes up for in productivity in the lot. He's in and out of the lot before you realize compared to a truck where he's there for a while trying to maneuver around or get a better angle at something. Plus the visibility from sitting right up on top compared to a truck and especially a skid steer can't be beat. I have a CTL now for my 10' kage blade. I'd love to push it with a mini loader instead but that might have to wait a few years since they sure don't give those things away.

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
What you are asking is hard to answer without knowing what all you will be doing with these machines when not plowing and what conditions are ware you will be plowing.
I have both a 975 (1200lb machine) Bobcat and a IT28 Cat tool carrier (loader).
Bobcat, + works best in tight areas, between cars, around buildings. cheapest to maintain, better fuel usage.
- Slow travel speed, rougher ride, no tunes, louder, greater tire ware, less comfortable,

IT28 + Push more snow, Faster in a large lot, Faster road speed, Better heater, Sirius radio, air ride seat, better viability,
- more expensive, higher maintenance cost, uses 2x the fuel in a day,

I started with the bobcats (2 of them) back in 1982 and they still run great but I am getting older and like the creacher comforts offered by the loaders. now a new Bobcat if they still made one that big would be much friendlier to operate would be worth a try. I still use the bobcats when working a parking lot full of cars or in tight areas. I have both a 9' and 10' wide bucket for snow removal. Also I run studded 10.00 x 20 snow tires on bud rims which makes a big difference for traction. The bobcat will load a 10yd truck with snow faster then the IT28 due to a faster loading cycle. As for the IT I use a 12' angle blade for plowing and light stacking up to 12 feet high. But have to change to a bucket when loading trucks.
If I were younger and doing small lots and not traveling far then I would stick with the bobcat. but as I am older now and like to relax a bit when working and my route is spread out over 10 miles the loader is the only way to go.

Good luck on your decision.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thanks guys for the response. I am leaning towards the loader for your reasons. Immedietley after posting this i looked more into the terex and didn't like what i found. I really like the wacker neusons. Its either a JCB 406b or a Wacker WL50.

Get a demo on the WL50. You likely wont want to give it back. The Europeans have been big into compact wheel loaders for a long time. They have these things dialed in.

WeedKiller

A point from a professional Snow Remover is this selling point. you can drive a wheel loader to all your jobs but you have to trailer your skid.