• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to flush a hydraulic system?

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
The oil in my Ford 555 is looking a bit creamy..Its been sitting for a week so I dont think it would be full of air if it was cavitated.

Whats the best way to flush the system? I can suck about 5 gals out of the Hyd oil tank in the nose, not sure what to do about the rest of the system..any ideas guys? Thanks!:beatsme

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
Cream with that Coffee?

I have seen the hydraulic oil turn to this colour when water enters the hydraulic system at some point. There are several areas where moisture and rain can get into the system if gaskets, caps, breathers, etc. are not sealing or protected like they are supposed to be. Also if you leave a pail of hydraulic oil out in the rain or snow you will have moisture enter the container, and it is very hard to detect when you are pouring it into the tank, until the deed is done! I'm not exactly sure on how you would go about draining the whole system, but I'm sure some wise mechanically inclined person would know the proper, and most effective method of achieving this. Good luck! :)

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
I am thinking it was from my excessive pressure washing, trying to get the years of grime off my machine. I described the symptoms to my boss..(A loud hydraulic whine between 1000-1200 rpm). He said it sounded like air getting into the system, but its been sitting for the last week, and the oil still has a creamy look.

davidd

Occupation
www.paulowniatrees.com
Mike,
there was a thread on here a few months back that described how to drain a Hyd system.
It was something like raise the front bucket and hoe boom, then disconnect return hoses and let the buckets down.
Search back and perhaps you will find it . Or some good wrencher may resend it or know where it is at.
But just changing oil in the tank will get only about half the gunk.
Also know what to do before starting as hyd. will hurt you.
David d.

Nick & Pat

The oil in my Ford 555 is looking a bit creamy..Its been sitting for a week so I dont think it would be full of air if it was cavitated.

Whats the best way to flush the system? I can suck about 5 gals out of the Hyd oil tank in the nose, not sure what to do about the rest of the system..any ideas guys? Thanks!:beatsme
thank you for the help

Nick & Pat

Cream with that Coffee?

I have seen the hydraulic oil turn to this colour when water enters the hydraulic system at some point. There are several areas where moisture and rain can get into the system if gaskets, caps, breathers, etc. are not sealing or protected like they are supposed to be. Also if you leave a pail of hydraulic oil out in the rain or snow you will have moisture enter the container, and it is very hard to detect when you are pouring it into the tank, until the deed is done! I'm not exactly sure on how you would go about draining the whole system, but I'm sure some wise mechanically inclined person would know the proper, and most effective method of achieving this. Good luck! :)
thank you for your help

Nick & Pat

I am thinking it was from my excessive pressure washing, trying to get the years of grime off my machine. I described the symptoms to my boss..(A loud hydraulic whine between 1000-1200 rpm). He said it sounded like air getting into the system, but its been sitting for the last week, and the oil still has a creamy look.
thank you for the advice

Nick & Pat

Mike,
there was a thread on here a few months back that described how to drain a Hyd system.
It was something like raise the front bucket and hoe boom, then disconnect return hoses and let the buckets down.
Search back and perhaps you will find it . Or some good wrencher may resend it or know where it is at.
But just changing oil in the tank will get only about half the gunk.
Also know what to do before starting as hyd. will hurt you.
David d.
thank you