• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best older D8??

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Jason, when you get it home and washed, make sure to take some pics and post them here for the rest of us...if your 8 has a full U blade, I would imagine there is quite a bit more metal in the it compared to either the S or A blades.
Just don't let the DOT catch you...!
alan627b
Sample pics found here...
http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/fro...le&ind=heavyequipment&man=caterpillar&mod=d8h
Lotsa meat in a full U...
http://www.hwequipment.com/attachments/Dozer-Blades/Caterpillar-D8H-U-Dozer-Blade-AT447-126
Anybody besides me think the louvered upper grill looks badder than the regular one with holes?

Attachments

• D8H.jpg
    D8H.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 8,020
Last edited:

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
I think so too..... there's alot of steel in the blade section..... extremely thick, comparatively; the selling party agreed to take it off for shipment; good move, I think. Blade really conjures up images of WARHORSES.

So, we'll end up w/ (2) loads to La.

RolyD8k

Occupation
farmer & earthmoving contractor
D8k

BTW: Further research indicates that a few of the D8H's, maybe the last 2000 manufactured utilized the pinned equalizer bar arrangement, tying the track frames together. Anybody know if that is a valid improvement? or just a change, like the elevated sprocket, high drive machines?

Hi Jason, with the improved pinned equalizer bar its easier to remove
the track frame for final drive repairs,after splitting the track and
removing the top roller and lock down bolt,jack up tractor out of the
roller frame and just move it forward,but on the earlier H model the
frame has to be pulled out of the equalizer bar away from the tractor
before sliding forward,we still run six K,s and two H,s,good luck with
your new machine:)
RB