1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best mini Excavator for the money

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by deer3245, Feb 24, 2010.

1. deer3245

deer3245 Member

construction
    ANy opinions on the best brand for a new, or fairly new mini Excavator 10 -12000 lbs range. In some cases are you paying more for just the name?

2. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member

I would post this question in the mini excavator forum

3. adv.wastewater

adv.wastewater Well-Known Member

CAT 304CCR in my opinion, my CAT dealer has been good and the guy I deal with has been great. They're all pretty close cost wise, don't buy based only on price. Service and resale are the main things I always keep in mind. You may pay 5k more for a cat than you will a kubota, but the cat will also be worth 5k more in 1,200 hours.

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B Administrator

Digger Driver
    So be it:cool2

5. excav8r

excav8r Well-Known Member

Equipment Operator
    My vote would be a kubota as they are smooth, fast, reliable and fuel efficient. take a look at the 121-3. second would be a cat.

6. maddog

maddog Senior Member

yanmar, kubota, cat, gehl

7. WabcoMan

WabcoMan Senior Member

Heavy equipment parts manager
    Hitachi

8. excav8r

excav8r Well-Known Member

Equipment Operator
    i've never run a hitachi but have always been curious as to how they are to operate and have heard a lot of good things.

9. bpogue

bpogue Well-Known Member

I would vote for a Takeuchi. I have a TB15 and absolutely love it. I tried a bunch of different brands (Deere, Bobcat, Kubota, and Cat). The Takeuchi was the strongest and most user friendly one that I tried. The Cat was nice, but in my opinion not worth the premium. The bobcat was very weak and slow. I liked the Kubota. It was my 2nd choice. Not quite as smooth, but a nice machine and a good value.

10. adv.wastewater

The Takeuchi machines I have heard so much hype on, I demo'd a tb175 this past week and it was the weakest and slowest excavator I have ever run. With a cat 304ccr I can honestly work circles around that tb175 which is pretty bad when you compare size.

11. stuvecorp

stuvecorp Senior Member

Takkie or Kobelco/Case/NH are my picks but have run Hitachi and Yanmar and was happy with them. I can't see any benefit to paying extra for a Cat, rented a 304 and while nice it was no better than the others.

12. topdigger

topdigger Member

excavation buisness owner
    takeuchi is my pick , I have a tb 175 an tbo 35 the 35 has 4500 hrs on it and have had to do very little minor work on it. They have both been very reliable machines.
    One suggestion is don't buy one no matter what brand without a thumb. A TB 53FR or a TB 145 would be in the size range you're looking for.

13. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I have a TB153FR. Other than the AC not working right. Has been a very dependable machine (no down time in the first 1000 hours and counting) and its a very productive excavator. I have a vid clip and a lot of pictures of the machine on my website if your interested in this particular make and model.

14. Ozz

Ozz Active Member

Takehuchi... Or Kubota

15. lectro88

lectro88 Well-Known Member

master electrician/owner
    I have a Takeuchi tb135. IMHO Tak #1 Kubota or IHI #2 Dere and Cat #3. I have seat time in all and others not mentioned and thats how I see them and why I purchased Tak.

16. Brandon C.

Brandon C. New Member

Im hooked on the kubota's Ive ran a kx161-3 an kx080-3 an are very smooth an fast. My friend tested deere an cat an he cant see paying for the yellow paint!

17. STAFFORD

STAFFORD Active Member

I have had 2 deeres a 35d and a 50d, however the kubotas are cheaper and a good machine, but how is the service and resell value 5 years from now? that is big to me.

18. Anto Modded

Anto Modded Well-Known Member

Excavator Driver
    Ive been using a Hitachi Zaxis, 2.5 ton and its ok, but would prefer a kubota or takeuchi. It lacks a few things, the exhaust is out the botom and when the blade is up the fumes are annoying where as the takeuchi the exhaust it out the top. Also the takeuchi has a engine idle which isnt major but nice feature. Just my views, im sure others are alot different

19. DiamondConcrete

DiamondConcrete Member

Im going to look at a 121-3 kubota tomorrow. I hope it works out that i get it,seems there is no 10k # machines around me for sale and this one is 2 hours away.

20. adv.wastewater

Picking up my new CAT 304CCR today, cab+air, hydraulic thumb.