• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best grease?

Canadian_digger

Just wondering what brand/type of grease everyone finds to work the best for pins and bushing to prevent wear on there heavy equipment.

Woodstock

We use mystic JT6. I do a lot of custom farming and run six john deere tractors and six hay cutters, two round balers, a and three square balers. I also have a john deere 328 skid steer, and a D4G dozer. I don't have any problems with universal joints on cutters or balers or anything. I baled over 10,000 round bales this year. I am very pleased with this grease.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Swepco makes a nice grease, but it is expensive. I use Castrol because that's who we use for our oils to. The castrol is nice it has some tackiness to it, but it's not to sticky.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I use the same stuff that Steve does. I works great and lasts a lot longer than the other stuff we were using(Castrol if I remember)

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
We use Shell srs4000.:)

A special grease, lithium based i mean, EP and NLGI 2 standard.
A very sticky grease, thats extremly water resistant.
Was primerly made for boat axles....:eek:
Stay's in place for ever, compared to other types.

Is also available as SRS 2000, a bether solution for cold areas.
I have heard the 2000 variant is used by the Canadian railroad companys.;)

Cat

We use mystic JT6. I do a lot of custom farming and run six john deere tractors and six hay cutters, two round balers, a and three square balers. I also have a john deere 328 skid steer, and a D4G dozer. I don't have any problems with universal joints on cutters or balers or anything. I baled over 10,000 round bales this year. I am very pleased with this grease.

What brand of round balers do you have? John Deere would be my guess. How do you like it? Does it do a good job? How do you like your skid steer

surfer-joe

Nearly any grease containing 3-5% moly is far better than most other greases including the synthetics for pins and bushings in most construction and mining applications. I used a Texaco product for years and had exceptional good service at a very reasonable cost. Texaco types include: Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM 3202-5 and Texaco Molytex® EP NLGI Grade 2, 1 & 0. The MolyTex was my grease of choice. But Mobil (now EXXON) and Shell also have excellent moly greases and there are others on the market. Caterpillar has a fine moly grease, but it's expensive, especially the Artic grade. It offers nothing the cheaper molys don't.

Synthetic greases are largely a waste of money. They offer no better protection, generally are not as tacky -- which you need so as to keep the grease in place -- and as I said, they are costly. In several tests I ran, the standard Moly grease outperformed the synthetics every time.

At the mine in West Virginia, I bought Mobil Moly in 600 gallon bulk packs. We had a pump and hose setup so we could easily transfer the grease into the tanks on the four lube trucks we had there. Other places mostly brought it in by the 55 gallon or 400 pound barrel.

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Texas Refinery Corporation's TRC red grease is one I've used quite a bit. It seems to do well in applications like bucket pins where there is a little bit of lateral sliding. I've also used black moly grease (can't remember the brand) that cost twice as much and wasn't nearly as tacky.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Some of the brands mentioned might be a little hard to find in Canada. Across our entire fleet Petro-Canada Precision Gold Synthetic is used exclusively, seldom is pin and bushing problems from the grease, operators not using the grease is our main problem.:bash

surfer-joe

Amen on the lack of grease. Almost any grease is better than none at all, a common problem no matter where one goes I found.

TRC products are excellent in almost every respect. They make a red gear oil that I used a bunch of some years ago that left me with a healty respect for the companies products. But it is expensive to use, so one learned to sample those compartments and lengthen the PM intervals before changing it out. Bought that in bulk packs also.

Woodstock

What brand of round balers do you have? John Deere would be my guess. How do you like it? Does it do a good job? How do you like your skid steer

I have a 467 and a 468 John Deere round baler. The 467 is three yrs old and has 14,000 bales through it. I traded in my 466 and got a 468 Memorial Day this year and ran almost 7000 bales through it already. I Have replaced two bearing and the slip clutch on the 467 and that is all I have done to them. I would have no other baler but John Deere, but my disc mowers are New Holland because they are easier and cheaper to work on. My 328 skid steer I love it, I have an 84" tooth bucket on it and it is not tipsy at all. I lifted a pallet of baling wire with it that weighs 3960 lbs. No problem. The only thing I don't like about it is when you first start it it blows a lot of white smoke and spits and sputters for about ten seconds or so.

Cat

I have a 467 and a 468 John Deere round baler. The 467 is three yrs old and has 14,000 bales through it. I traded in my 466 and got a 468 Memorial Day this year and ran almost 7000 bales through it already. I Have replaced two bearing and the slip clutch on the 467 and that is all I have done to them. I would have no other baler but John Deere, but my disc mowers are New Holland because they are easier and cheaper to work on. My 328 skid steer I love it, I have an 84" tooth bucket on it and it is not tipsy at all. I lifted a pallet of baling wire with it that weighs 3960 lbs. No problem. The only thing I don't like about it is when you first start it it blows a lot of white smoke and spits and sputters for about ten seconds or so.

Don't worry about the white smoke and how is runs, they all do that it is good for it belive it or not.