• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best excavator to buy

biodole

Occupation
Excavator
most likely it is a dash 6...what is the serial # please....and it is spelled.Komatsu...lol

is it a US or A UU?

hey there.

Its a Komatsu pc128us-2 I believe.

I'll get you the serial number shortly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

B&R Equipment

Occupation
Operations
Now days it just depends on how much you want to pay? All excavator manufacturers are completing for the same...for instance when one comes up with a great idea then the others will follow.

dayexco

let's say, comparable sized/horsepowered machines, brand "c"....sells for 150k, brand "x" sells for 120k.....up front, you save 30k, right? let's say both loans are for figuring sake....are at 5%....at the end of 5 yrs, you'll have given brand "c".s finance company, or your bank, an additional $34k in interest....that's $64k over the 5 yrs...the cost of money has to be included in the overall cost per hr. of operation, not just repairs and resale value.

hawk281

Id look into a PC200 or PC220 as well. Ive worked on many excavators but I like the Komatsu products the most. We have a couple -8s which operate extremely smooth...however I advise you to check on dealers in your area, even a good machine can turn to a bad machine without a good dealer.
Hello there. I have a 220-5. I am having trouble with a loud vibrating humming noise. Everyone I use the left track or bucket function or when ever there is a use for both pu,psychological to operate one function. And the left track and bucket are weak when the noise is herd. L I keep a check valve or something not closing and it is hammering in the seat of the valve letting go oil bypass some place. Thank you for your help Jeremy

MrElectric03

Hi Jeremy,

Did it all of a sudden start this or is this a new to you machine?

Sounds like your pump is going out. First thing i would do is let the machine sit overnight and before starting it pull the bolt on lid off of the hydraulic tank (not retrun filter lid, the other one)and pull the strainer up(long metal rod in the center). If you have brass material stuck in the strainer then most likely the pump is chewed up. The pump is two sections, one track is on each section, like two pumps in one. The proper test would be to lift one track off the ground at a time, spray paint the top end of one track pad on each side. Now let the track get a running start and use a stop watch to time five rotations of the track. Do this on each side. I’d bet the side with the noise will be considerably slower. If so you’ll need a replacement pump and to flush your hydraulic tank.

Also look on top of your pump where the hoses hook to that go to the control valve. Some times there are high pressure strainers installed here and will have a big cap on the end. You can remove the cap and pull the metal strainer, also see if this is packed with brass and metal. If you have a pump failure and don’t have high pressure strainers you’ll want to flush the entire hydraulic system, and even if you do have them it’s never a bad idea.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Any brass in the suction strainer usually means the pump has a catastrophic problem. I've seen where someone dumped dirt in the tank and it caused a bunch of noise. There are no discharge strainers in a Dash 5. If the strainer is clean I think I'd plug gauges into the pump outputs and see what you get when you run the track. Those pumps are noisy anyway but more noise on one with slow function is usually a very bad thing. That Dash 5 is over twenty years old so it has probably done its best work years ago.