• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best air grease gun and tips.

auen1

I'm the fuel and lube guy where I work.
Our lube truck has a piece of junk grease gun.

I need suggestions for finding a real nice (air) gun.
I'd really like to find a good one.

Our grease gun tips fail all the time too.
What are the best tips to buy?

Thanks in advance!

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I haven't owned/used one but I've heard lots of good about the quality cordless ones. You could install an inverter in the cab to keep batteries charged. As for the couplers buy a good quality one. Like anything these days you generally get what you pay for.
Mike

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Lock n lube for the coupler. Best I've come across. There are a few situations it won't fit but those are far and few between. I've got a lincoln air grease gun as well as a keg setup. My lincoln is about 2 years old and hasn't missed a lick yet. I'd say I average 2 cases of grease a week through it. Make sure you get one that pumps as long as you hold the trigger down instead of one pump per pull of the trigger. We've got several Milwaukee cordless that seem to stand up to abuse well. I don't know how much iron you have to grease but if it's a lot you'll spend a lot of time changing tubes. The keg setup is great for most things.

Junkyard

Junkyard

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
4038971_2000x2000.jpg i think model is # 1162 it's awesome never an issue abuse it all the time left it on a muffler whole thing was 200+ degrees that was 2 years ago. Got it on ebay like $60 bucks even when I had a barrel set up this came in handy one of best quality tools ever had granted it is pretty simple.

auen1

Like Junkyard I only use LockNLube couplers, best grease couple out there bar none. http://www.locknlube.com/

Thanks guys,
I was kinda looking for the type of gun that works on a hose reel and 55 gal. drum of grease.
I think its a high pressure system, 120 psi, running heated grease.
Our current gun will squirt out about 3 feet, (in the air).

I work at a mine that has pretty large equipment.
I only have an hour and a half to fuel and grease before the next crew shows up.
So I have to work fast.

I'm not sure, but I think a cordless gun won't pump fast enough, for my pace needed to get the job done.
I also bet that I'd have to refill the cartridge at least 6-7 times.
It would be real nice to go cordless though.
Make my life easier.

I'll look into that "Lock and lube" coupler, for sure.

Thanks!

auen1

That locknlube looks cool.

Just wondering how long they last.
Sure looks like a cleaner way to grease and will save grease from being wasted.

I have one on it's way.
Anyone have a preference between the regular or the XL?

I was kinda looking for the type of gun that works on a hose reel and 55 gal. drum of grease.
I put on a new Alemite gun on today. Works a lot better than the old one.
I still would like find a better one, if one exists.
A locking trigger would be nice.
Any suggestions?

We've got a Fireball 425, but I think needing a rebuild.
Our hose and reel are leaking, so by the time I get done fixing everything,
it should be like new, lol.

BTW, do zirks wear out?
Ours have been in use for 4 years now, except the ones that have been replaced.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've been using Locknlube couplers since they first came out. I can't say for certain, but I think they last longer than typical couplers, probably mainly because you don't have to wrestle the coupler back and forth to get the coupler loose from the zerk. On the original units, if the rubber seal wears out you had to replace the coupler. On the new ones they've designed them to be able to take them apart and replace the seal, the new ones come with a spare seal as well. Of course one should check the zerk before you connect to it. Like with any coupler, if the zerk is damaged and has a burr on it, it can damage the rubber seal.

The biggest drawback with the locknlube, if you run across a zerk that won't take grease and it builds pressure, the more pressure, the tighter the locknlube coupler will grip. It will literally grip so tight you can't get the lever to pop it loose, you have to relieve grease pressure. The solution I came up with was to install a high pressure needle valve in the grease delivery pipe. Open the valve to relieve pressure and then you can pop the locknlube loose. The brass plug on the bottom of the needle valve has a small hole drilled in it, makes it easy to wipe the exhausted grease clean and keep grease from getting on everything.

grease hose pressure release.jpg

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I can get about 30-45 days worth of greasing before I have to replace the seal. If I was better about cleaning and checking zerks I could extend that interval I'm sure. And yes they'll lock on tighter than my old man on a his wallet around Xmas! Other than occasional clearance issues they're the shiznit. No that's not a typo! Haha

auen1

Thanks guys for all the tricks, tips and tools to make my job easier.

I've been the fuel and lube guy before, but just used the tools provided.
I play mechanic's helper/maintenance guy for 10 hours and get about 2 hours for fuel and grease.
I barely get the job done with the time allowed.
So anything I can do to be faster and cleaner is a bonus.

Right now, we are going through a drum of grease in about 10 days.
2,000 gallons of fuel in 24 hours.

Thanks again!

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
A little late in now, but I'd give praise to lock n lube ends too... work very nicely.
My Lincoln cartridge air greaser seems to be real nice, puts out good pressure. I'm on my second one in maybe 4 years.
I also have an Alemite keg greaser... works nicely but seems to lack pressure. I would not recommend it for that reason.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Willie59, I am so going to steal your relief valve idea. where did you get the nice little thumb valve? Thanks:drinkup

DIYDAVE

Willie59, I am so going to steal your relief valve idea. where did you get the nice little thumb valve? Thanks:drinkup

That looks like a water bleed valve, from a compressor. Shouldn't be to hard to find, maybe HF or big box store, or even amazon...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Be my guest. :drinkup

I got all the parts from a local hydraulic hose shop. All the fittings are steel high pressure hydraulic fittings (no brass), and the valve is a simple Parker high pressure needle valve. The only brass I used was the pipe plug on the outlet end of the valve. Drilled a 1/8" hole in the valve for the grease to escape, then it's easy to wipe clean with a rag.

auen1

I just received my Locknlube tip.
Tried it out last night, (night shift).
Wow, SO VERY NICE!

I got real greasy, but from cleaning all the grease that sloppy coulpers made.

I'm very impressed, it worked on all but two zirks that need to be changed from a straight to a 45.
I had two that were plugged, an locked on tight.
Not bad out of hundreds, at least it seems, of zirks.

Now I like to find a good zirk cleaner?
I see them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-P...rd_wg=obI68&psc=1&refRID=BPQ4KD087TEW0V5HRV2J

Do they make one that works from a grease gun?
Like if I had a dedicated, hand grease gun to unclog zirks?
Is there such a thing?

Also looking for a good tool for installing zirks?
I have the "T" handle one, but almost all our zirks are deeply depressed in a protective hole.
I stuff some paper towel into a 1/4 drive socket, with an extension, but that doesn't work very well.

Thanks!

auen1

I just hope the Locknlube lasts long enough to convince my company to buy them, next time.
The company looks at it like this, $5-10 coulper vs. $30?

At least the Locknlube can be rebuilt.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Also looking for a good tool for installing zirks?
I have the "T" handle one, but almost all our zirks are deeply depressed in a protective hole.
I stuff some paper towel into a 1/4 drive socket, with an extension, but that doesn't work very well.

Thanks!

I assume the wad of paper towel stuffed down in the socket is to make the threads of the new zerk protrude out of the end of the socket. If so, take a 1/4" nut, put a small dob of grease on it, push it down in the socket. Insert the zerk in the socket. The grease will retain it and the thickness of the nut will make the threads stick out. Shove it in the recessed hole and screw it in.

And used with care, the Locknlube will last a long time. And since it makes greasing faster, it's money well spent in my mind.