1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bell scraper tractor

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by 9420pullpan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 9420pullpan

9420pullpan Senior Member

has anyone seen on of these Bell's working in there area???

233354-1.jpg

72566262.jpg

Bell-4206-Loaded-Up.jpg

mirror.aspxxc.jpg

slope1.jpg

2. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    I think there made by Deere just by looking at them.

3. 9420pullpan

9420pullpan Senior Member

Bell owns 32% of Deere. so Bell makes the deere trucks

4. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    All of there stuff looks the same as Deere on there site IMO. I don't even see Deere’s out here and never even heard of Bell until now.

5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W Senior Member

Engineer
    I think Deere owns 32% of Bell...

Dozerboy, the reason you see them as being so similar is because they are identical as 9420 has pointed out. The Bell 40D is the Deere 400D and so on down the line. When Deere decided to get into the ADT business, it chose a partner rather than develop a line all its own. For that matter, Bell wasn't ever a huge player in the US market (it's an Australian company), but they have a very good product.

If you go to Europe, the same is true for Hitachi ADTs.

6. CascadeScaper

CascadeScaper Senior Member

2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
    I think Volvo builds a better articulated truck than any of them. What has happened to Moxy?

7. CEwriter

CEwriter Senior Member

journalist
    Moxy's still building trucks. Still got something of a marketing organization here in North America, but I can't vouch for how effective it is.

Bell's from South Africa.

Here's our most recent roundup on articulated trucks, from June of last year. It details some of the similarities and differences between the various brands:

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA605534.html

and the gallery of brief reviews of each manufacturer's product line:

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA605793.html

And here's a Field Report on that Bell construction tractor with the crazy ATI tracks:

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA457224.html

ADios

8. jamesbrokman

jamesbrokman Member

i have ran the bell scraper tractor and they are not my cup of tee, they are fast but load like crap, they have the power but no traction, the one i ran had tires not tracks, not sure if the tracked version is any better, it did have the mercedes diesel with i beleive around 450 horsepower

9. 02Dmax

02Dmax Senior Member

tracks make a night and day difference on these tractors. i think you'd like it better......... all the traction you'd ever need plus a better ride

10. joedirt

joedirt Well-Known Member

John Deere Trucks

We have a John Deere 350C truck. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on them? Our truck has approx 8000 hours. She is tough to start when temps are below 50 deg. fer. and I most definetly do not like the full time engine brake (throttle pedal only with no disconnect). Is the Mercedes engine good, or should we be looking for another truck? Thanks for your help.

11. Countryboy

Countryboy Senior Member

Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums joedirt! :drinkup

12. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator

Full time engine brakes are the best that’s a lot of weight to stop and Mercedes makes good diesels. That said I have no experience with JD ADT's so that just my general observation.

13. beandrew

beandrew Well-Known Member

Farmer
    bell tractor coment

everyone i talked to said they would rather have a 4 wheel drive tractor beause that the bell tractors and simuliar ones always break down

14. RKO

RKO Well-Known Member

Bell tractor

Was the one you ran the one that was south Nebraska Machinery in Omaha for a few weeks?? I saw one out there and wondered who's it was. I ran one in Kansas City on a job and didn't think it had any traction along with being ruff riding.

15. joedirt

joedirt Well-Known Member

John Deere Trucks

Thanks for the reply Dozerboy. We must be the only guys on the forum that run John Deere dump trucks.:beatsme

16. Ray Welsh

Ray Welsh Banned

To Cascade scraper

I would have to agree that Volvo was always a leader in All Terrain Dumpers (ATD). Moxy came from Scania, also Swedish manufacture/design but were a cheaper design. For example, they had a single rear diff with chain drives to rear wheels, like a grader. More moving components means higher rebuild costs. Komatsu also had copys of Moxy running in Australia many years ago.
    There's lots of CAT ATDs working here now thanks to good marketing and excellent parts backup, but on pulling a load through mud, Volvo is still king.:D

17. RamDodge

RamDodge Active Member

Wheel loader operator
    I'd like to chime in about Moxy's. They are NOT Swedish or made by Scania. They are actually buildt in the west coast of Norway (a small place called Elnesvaagen) But they are powered by Scania diesel (wicth co-operate with Cummins in injection technology) They where owned by Komatsu a few years back so I would think the Komatsus down under where rebadged moxy's. They are now owned by a british manufacturer (Brown, I think) They have been struggeling with their finaces a few years back, but are now going full steam.
    I have never cared much for ADT's, but from what I have heard they where quit comfortable in earlier years, and by some concidered as the Peterbilt in the ADT world.

18. Ray Welsh

Ray Welsh Banned

Moxy--Scania connection

Sorry My old mind got confused with Moxy-Scania connection. The Komatsus down here were probably re-badged moxys. They were both Top-heavy and sometimes fell over at any speed in soft ground. Earlier Moxys had a two piece tailgate that used to bind with gumbo clay lumps from large excavators.
    The result was engine and drivers compartment off the ground which then flipped to the side and bashed on the deck. (Remember these were articulated trucks and the cab could rotate independently from the load) Highly dangerous although the ones I saw happen didn't injure anyone.
    Most dumpers nowadays have high lift tailgates which adequately clear the load and any large lumps. Remember all you blokes, SAFETY FIRST.

19. gillettekids

gillettekids New Member

any input on a bell B30 D -artic- any thing to beware of?

thinking of buying a couple and would love some input as to anything to be aware of or look for as a possible weak link? - new guy here on forum and looking for any help possible - having a hard time posting this new question?

20. Bellboy

Bellboy COPPA

Student
    I would like to make this very clear. Bell is SOUTH AFRICAN
    I'm just a bit irritated. Not angry with anyone, but no one knows where Bell is from. Thank you.