• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BD2G steering problem

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Oh.... You dont' have to remove the tracks but just get it off the grounds IF you tear into it. I have the manuals for this machine so just shoot me an email if interested.

Farmerjohn

Occupation
Jeweller
BS3e problem with steering

Hi haven't been able to find any info on this bulldozer its simillar to the BD2f which I have service manual for but the linkage to the steering brakes is different, I have had a play with it, it steers with one lever but very limited with the other I have tightened a spline type nut at the rear which seems to take the slack out of the control levers but doesn't correct the problem I was wondering if anyone has a diagram with the adjustment dimensions. cheers john

JimInOz

G'day John,
I think you rang me once about this BS3E.
I sell spares/manuals for them & have one dismantled in my shed.
Your machine has a Mitsy 4DQ engine,I believe.
Almost all the Mitsy crawlers I find need steering work,but it's not a bad job really,compared to some other crawlers.I can supply plates,if required.

PM me with your email address,& I'll email 3 pages to you.

Regards
Jim

Calvin Johnson

Manuals on the way, but time running out as I am due to head back to Indonesia in a few days. Thanks to all for the information concerning my problem with the BD2F.
I will start the tear down and repairs on my return to the states next month.
Thanks again
CJ

T-Bird

bd2f steering clutch removal

first post here, and may i thank all of you for the help i have read so far.:) I have read and reread this thread at least a dozen times and can still not figure out how to get the clutch assy aout of the machine.:Banghead I just bought the bd2f and the right steering clutches are shot as well as the brake. looks like a bad operator took care of the brake and moisture took care of the rest. tonight i did the unthinkable:eek: the brake band needed replaced anyway and the drum didnt look like i wanted to reuse it so both of those are out. (in pieces) guys i have to missing something simple here:eek: the bolts are out of the drive flange coming out of the differential and it will seperate just a few thousands. every thing just seems bound up. after looking at one of the diagrams there is another set of bolts, these are on the outer side of the disengagement assy. do those need to come out? TIA

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Sorry I was just use to a different machine. :)

Last edited:

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Did you push the clutch shaft toward the final drive or pry it. The whole assembly comes out with the slip yoke. I was thinking of a different machine when I first replied to you. :(

T-Bird

yes, if you are refering to the lever that disengeages the clutch pack. like a clutch fork in a automobile. it will move a little both directions. i have had a 6 ft bar on it with all the preassure i dare put on it in both directions. still no luck. the clutch on the right was stuck when i bought the machine and i did manage to free it. but the brake was gone on that side. after i opened up that side, well it needs a total rebuild as far as i am concearned. but i got to get it apart first LOL. FWIW i did notice what looked like a sleeve in one of the bolt holes on the inner flange and i imagine there is at least one more but have no idea how to get those out. I also purchased a bs3 loader with backhoe. thinking i should have just stayed home that day.....

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
call me tomorrow sometime on my cell. Too tired to type anymore. :) I'm turning in now. :)

T-Bird

for those who are following along this has been a bear to get out! the drive drum (drum inside the clutches) had broken. how it was even able to power that track is beyond me. at first i thought maybe i broke it taking it out, but after better inspection it was a old break. also there are 3 hollow alingment dowels in the flange that i had to remove, this may have been due to the drum being broken and not allowing enough room to slide the clutch assy toward the final drive. some broken springs too. It looks like i am getting broke in well with my first dozer.........

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
Hang in there T-Bird.

I'm pretty happy with my BS3F, it has issues, but am able to fix what I need. I may need to re-open up the clutch/brake on my left side to replace some parts soon, but am willing to do that if I need. I've already done new bottom rollers, and fixed the pins on the bucket so they would take grease. It has seen some rough use from my using it to pull stumps, but is still going strong.

Bubba goat

T-Bird

its really not that bad of a job. but being the first and as much as was broken it was tough. I think that the inner drum being broke just made it that much more difficult, looks like if it had not been broke it would have been a snap.

T-Bird

update, waiting on new clutch springs. they should be here monday and I cant wait. I am really looking foward to get this machine back together. I have it tore down in a one car shop and needless to say its getting pretty crowded in there LOL. I test fitted everything in the machine and going back together is going to be a breeze. with mine having the inner drum broke there was no room to seperate anything, with the new parts i have close to half of a inch which is more than enough room to get everything back in. thanks for all the help guys!

Cftyson

I have a BD2G that has a steering problem. The left side will stop pulling after running a while. I figured it was the steering clutches, so I replaced the Clutch disc (both plates and fiber), new clutch springs, drum and brake band. Put it all back together and it ran great for a while today, then started again. No oil or moisture in housing. I check the adjustments and evrything looks okay. It is funny because it will come and go as you run the machine. Sometimes the left side pulls and then stops. You can pull and release the left lever several times and it will start to pull. Any ideas? I am wondering if it could be in the steering valve somehow.

T-Bird

where did you get your new springs? I had to have mine made. I sent them a old one to go by. if your new springs are not the correct tension they will allow the clutches to slip. the left hand track on my bd2f slipped yesterday, and it had good reason to! the rock i was moving was bigger than the dozer!!