• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BD2G steering problem

aocustom

I have a Mitsubishi BD2G that when you pull the lft steering lever it will stop the machine. May move a little but you can hold the brake just a little and will not move. The right steering lever works fine. Where should i start looking. Also where can i find a service manual?

reddog848

Occupation
retired
:(When you pull the left lever back does the right track still pull? Sounds like your clutch pack on the left is gone. I had a simular problem with mine and the brake band was shot, replaced the right side for 700.00. Have you tried any adjustments to the brakes or clutch rods? It may just be an simple adjustment.
The right track should continue to pull when you pull the left lever back it releases the hydraulic pressure on the left and applies full pressure to the right side. You can get books from Rhine equip @800-536-3335 ask for Jay. They will probably have to order them from Mitsubishi but it's worth the wait and cost.
I have a set if you need specs on how to do the adjustments, just let me know.:)
reddog848

aocustom

No the right track will not pull. Seems like it just kills hyd flow to both drives. Only the one side does it. I will call and get a manual ordered but if you could spare the procedures for now that would be great.

reddog848

Occupation
retired
Look under the seat and you will see two 15/16 nuts, one on each side of the hydraulic valve. These are kinda hard to get to, I used a socket and ratchet to reach them.You will have to use a shallow socket or a box in wrench, DON'T use an open end if you can avoid it. Tighten these all the way down and then back off 2&3/4 turns. They may be hard to tighten but keep trying, I had to use a cheater bar to loosen mine.:mad: Make sure the rods and linkage to the valves are hooked up and travel is equal on both sides. When trying to move forward without pulling the levers back do both tracks pull even? You can put the blade down to cause pressure, put it in 1st and then watch both tracks to see if they pull. That will tell you if the clutches are good. If the clutches are good on both sides the tracks will pull equal, if not the right side will slip and not engage. I forgot to ask if you have a manual or a power shift trans, if it is a power shift then you may have another problem:(. Let me know what happens. By they way, where are you?
reddog848

aocustom

The nuts your talking about are they under the inspection plate? If your traveling and you pull the left lever it will start to tun then stop but if you release the lever just a litttle it will try to go again. Both tracks pull fine. Pull right lever and it turns right no problem. Just when you pull left lever.

JimInOz

Bd2g

The Mitsubishi BD2 are good little machines,which often came from Japanese rental fleets.Often,they sat in cold weather,doing little work...& sometimes the steering clutches bonded up.They often came equipped with apex plate swamp tracks.
You'll likely need to renew the steering discs,which can be got from steeringclutch.com.
Working on the steering is a bit hard,but better than on other machines.
Steering is dry type.
I can sell you copied books,& have some parts contacts.

PM me.
Jim

JimInOz

Bd2g

BD2G Steering adjustments....

Attachments

• BD2G Steering Adjustments (1).jpg
    BD2G Steering Adjustments (1).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,976
  • BD2G Steering Adjustments.jpg
    BD2G Steering Adjustments.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,959

aocustom

Okay
Got my mmanual and did all the adjustments. THey were out some but still same thing. If your traveling in forward or reverse and pull the left lever sometimes it tries to turn and sometimes it wont. The right lever works fine. I suppose i just need to pull it apart and replace clutches? Its wierd tho the way the machienw ill somtimes still try to turn?

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Yeah I think you will find that either you have oil in the right steering clutch case or your clutches and steel disc are bad. Hopefully that is all. I have the drums, clutches, and the steel disc on the shelf for times like this. If it has oil in the case then you will also need to rebuild the release cylinder. I'm doing one in teh shop now and they are pretty nice to work on really. If you need anything send me a pm.

Darin

graverobber54

Occupation
real estate
I am having brake trouble on my BD2F , the right brake compartment is oily.

How do I remove the inspection plate ? Something is holding it down. The brake adjustment bolt refuses to turn , too. Is it supposed to be hard to turn?

As stated in the post above , is the oil coming from a leaking hydraulic cylinder ? Or would it be rear end grease from a bad shaft seal?

HELP!

tonezz

i have a bd2gII, does anyone have the diagram for pulling out the steering clutch,? ive ordered the manual from rhine , but may take some 2 weeks to get it. any info greatly appreiciated???
thanks

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I don't know anything about your machine, but i learned a long time ago that those dry steering brakes are scrap if you get lube on them. Years ago, we struggled with a 500e that simply would not steer. Finally got rid of it, and then years later realized its was because the brake bands, once they have lube on the lining, they are junk. Looking back i feel so stupid...

I our case, you pulled the lever, the clutch would disengage(release) but the brake wouldn't grab, so the machine kept traveling with a slight drift in the desired direction. Doesn't sound like your problem though...

RIPPY

I also have BD2G I think my clutch is gone on the left side, I have the primary off and bolts out of both sides of the drum, I just cant get it to lift out any help would be GREAT!!!!! Oh what my problem is that my machine wont turn right unless you are going down hill? And the left track isnt pulling at all when you put pressure on it? I was told it was a clutch issue and they needed replaced what yall think? I look forward to a responce or call me @ 662-321-5268 Charlie Rippy And it is a power shift trans.....

RIPPY

Well I got if off today. Man it just needed a little taptap to get it off. New clutch kit and brake on the way. The teeth on the clutch were gone.... Going to replace brake while I have it apart.... $645.00

kneelo

Got the same problem with a seized left clutch... spent all day trying to get it out but the outer drum is locked solid to the cluch discs so no joy. One more try with a tool I made to try and press them together and if that doesn't work I might have to admit defeat and cut the drum :(

Right clutch and brake came out easily and seems fine. Can anyone tell me what thickness the clutch plates and steel plates should be or what to look for to check if they should be replaced. Also whats the lining thickness on the brake band supposed to be?

kneelo

i have a bd2gII, does anyone have the diagram for pulling out the steering clutch,? ive ordered the manual from rhine , but may take some 2 weeks to get it. any info greatly appreiciated???
thanks

Diagram of the steering clutches can be found here

http://www.tpaktopc.net/PDFs/BD2G%20STEERING%20CLUTCH%20PARTS.pdf

I assume you have removed the seat, panels and top covers and disconnected the brake bands. Then you need to remove the bolts from each side of the drum. They are part 34 on the drawing and there are 10 each side from memory. You will need to rotate the track a little to get to them all. I do this by using a jack under one of the track grousers at the back of the tracks. Once all the bolts are out the drum and clutch pack need to be loosened and moved away from their attaching flanges before you will be able to lift them out as there are steps in both mating faces.

jeremiyah

I cannot post new thread, so can i ask where to get a hydraulic filter for our BD2G?
It is about an '86. I will check books and serial number, but where do you get parts, etc?

Thanks,
Jerry

kneelo

I have found aftermarket replacements for the engine oil, fuel and air filters but not the hydraulics. I have the details at home and will post them in the next few days.

For the hydraulics I ended up having to buy a genuine replacement filter as no one I tried was able to match it. Genuine parts generally seem to be available though dealers of mitsubishi graders/excavators etc. In australia that is BT equipment and in the states I believe Rhine equipment supply parts, but there is probably others.

kneelo

Baldwin filter numbers for a BD2G:

engine lube - BT292
fuel - BF1110
air - PA1667-FN

The genuine mitsubishi hydraulics filter part number is 58873-12200.