• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backing up with a single axle jeep

mazadi88

Hey fellas, had a quick question about backing up a 4 axle lowboy with a single axle jeep. My question is, is there a secret to it or is it one of those things you just have to figure out or try to avoid if possible? Thanks in advanced fellas.

Shimmy1

Just do it. Same as backing a gravity box, an anhydrous tank, or a dolly-type pup behind a tandem. Just have to be patient and not oversteer.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
A jeep backups up like any other trailer. :D Sorry just poking fun. If you never backed up a hay wagon or a gravity wagon, you are in for a treat. Lots of practice is all I can offer on this one. I have been playing with tongue wagons for years and I get a little better at it every year, but I don't do it for a living either!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A two hundred inch wheel base on the tractor is not your friend either. The shorter the tractor the easier it is, but still dang diffucult if you need to back very far. Practice, practice, practice and look ahead to avoid as many of them situations as you can. My closest neighbor transfers truck from CA to MN for an outfit. When pulling three with the fronts riding on the one ahead he looks for his prking spots and motels carefully. Not fun at all when you can't pull out forward.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
More than once I've cross chained the rear of a jeep to the deck of the main to get out of a tight spot... EMPTY only.