• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

automobile fuel line repair

terex herder

To hold the hose splice in place use a jumper from one end of the steel line to the other. I have used stainless wire and have hose clamped it to the parent line past each end of the hose splice. This way the hose isn't being pushed off the steel line.

mbavers

At the auto parts store you should be able to get "fuel injection" hose, as opposed to general purpose fuel line. Just run the whole line from the tank.

Rather than making a mess with epoxy, use a brake line flaring tool to put a bit of a bubble in the steel line before you slide the rubber line over, then use two hose clamps. Just make sure the rubber line is sized to be snug on the steel.
The epoxy is to fill in the many imperfections on the surface of the steel tube. I'm going to make a slight bubble with the first step of a double flare, and yes, high pressure hose.

mbavers

To hold the hose splice in place use a jumper from one end of the steel line to the other. I have used stainless wire and have hose clamped it to the parent line past each end of the hose splice. This way the hose isn't being pushed off the steel line.
Seems like a good idea.

mbavers

Closing the case: I removed worst part of steel fuel line from tank forward, about 4 feet. At that point original line appeared to be in good shape. I made up new steel line from tank to remaining line (using 2 pieces including 4 double flares) and double flared the existing line to hook up to the new one. Flare on old line leaked due to rough interior weld preventing leak-free connection to inverted union, so I cut off final flares, made a slight bubble with double flare die, and used high pressure hose and clamps for final hook up (as per Tinkerer).

Thanks all for interest.