• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western Model 55 steering issues

gr8rwrx

Sorta' new to the forum. I've got a Model 55 Austin Western that I'd like to get back up and running. The thing that I see that may be an issue is the steering box. It looks like it is a "non oem" part, but fairly close. Steering shaft turns but feels like either splines or gear teeth are knocked off. I haven't taken it apart yet and probably won't till after Thanksgiving. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there. Thanks

Rick
unnamed.jpg

Geno795

Rick
I have one on a machine I am parting out/scrapping. Call me if you have interest. 309-8zero8-878zero.
Eugene

gr8rwrx

Thanks, I'm interested. We've just started the process of getting it cranked up. Pulled the exhaust/intake off so we can repair a crack in the exhaust and freshen up the carb. It should be running before Christmas. I told Mr. Dan we weren't gonna take the steering box apart till it was running because I know how distracted I can get. It will make him happy if we can find one that works. The one that's on it now is a "non-original" replacement. I may create more work trying to install an original one than fixing the box that's on it now. But that's nothing new.

Thanks again
Rick