• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin western model 55 grader

Ole Gal

Occupation
Construction: House framing and steel erection. R
I think your grader is a Galion 402 - I have one like it

herc983, Does your grader have a cab? My cab was a total rust out so I wrapped the cab with 3/8 plexiglas and made doors with the same so I could have good visibility all around. My ears ring a lot from loud noise so the cab helps to shut out some of the noise. It is nice to find someone who has the same model. Do you have manuals for the grader? I have manuals for the IU-4 unit but not for the Galion grader aspect. I am wondering if you know where I can purchase them - operators, service and parts manuals for Galion 402. I seems like I can find manuals for so many other models but not the 402.

markat

Did the Galion 402 use any other power plants other than international? Looks very similar to the Austin western 55. I've never seen a Galion from that era around here. Usually just Austin western, Trojan, caterpillar, allis Chalmers, and one lonely Minneapolis moline. I don't know if it's a power plant for something else or its own. The Galion looks like a neat machine.

Ole Gal

Occupation
Construction: House framing and steel erection. R
Did the Galion 402 use any other power plants other than international? Looks very similar to the Austin western 55. I've never seen a Galion from that era around here. Usually just Austin western, Trojan, caterpillar, allis Chalmers, and one lonely Minneapolis moline. I don't know if it's a power plant for something else or its own. The Galion looks like a neat machine.

markat, I am hoping someone on the forum knows the answer about other power plants used. I have not been able to find information about Galion 402. I only have about 50 hours working with mine but I really like playing. When I bought mine, the seller told me it was an Adams. It does look almost the same except the frame goes under the cab on the Adams and thru the cab on the Galion. The cab does not have much space inside because of the frame. See photo. They must have used interchangeable parts on many of these graders. The cab looks the same on the Austin Western, Adams, and Galion. The Adams also uses the international IU-4, the same as in my Galion 402. The cab really limited the view, especially out the back. One must really twist around to look out the back window. Since the cab was rusted away, I tore it off and wrapped plexiglass all the way around, and made a solid sheet for the front window and doors. Now I have 360 view! I started working on a slope meter Monday and finished it today. Very simple with 1 1/4" clear tubing and red ATF fluid. I mounted it on a board and secured it to the circle. My sidewalk is level, so I marked the position of the bubble with the blade down. I have a 10' blade and it was easy to figure the inches the blade would rise for each slope 1% to 8%. I raised the blade to each slope and marked the position of the bubble. I have not gotten to use it yet and it will probably need some more modifications. I used red antifreeze in the tube first, but it foamed and the bubbles would not dissipate and made theIMG_0710.jpgIMG_0716.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0708.jpg position of the bubble hard to see. Then I filled the tube with red ATF fluid which made a nice bubble and flowed from side to side nicely. I may need to find a lighter color fluid so the bubble can be seen more clearly. I will post pictures so you can see the meter and the view from the cab.

rsherril

Occupation
Geologist, Retired from teaching sciences
Interesting the way we do things. Here are pics of my home made slope meter on the 570A.
slope meter 001.jpgslope meter 003.jpg
The bearing in the hydraulic oil is indicating a 3-4% grade. Close enough for my work. Because it is mounted in the cab, it tells me the grade of the cross slope the tandems are traveling on rather than the blade position which I prefer as that is the driving surface that results.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Is anybody out there???? Need steering box, or parts. View attachment 174590 View attachment 174591

You will probably have better luck if you start your own thread and be a bit descriptive in your title. Such as Steering Issues with Make/Model grader. Tagging it to someone else's older thread may not get it many views as most members that looked at it have nothing to add.