• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin western model 55 grader

markat

I have a Austin western model 55 grader with a u4 international engine. I was wondering how many were built with this power unit? The transmission has ih castings, is this a w4 tractor transmission? How many model aw 55 graders were there built? I have this pegged as a late 1940 or 1941 model from the ih casting codes. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

chisel_maker

I have a 1948 Austin Western model 55. I haven't found any records of how many were built. The motor is a International IU-4 power unit, The transmission is a IU-4 engine-over-axle unit. I found this web site for serial numbers on the engine and transmission.
http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/ihc/id/5478/rec/10
It takes a little work but you should fine the year your engine and transmission were built here. Its a good guess that your 55 grader was built the same year.

Last edited:

markat

We found a part manual for our grader dated 7-41. The serial# for the book started at 55100. Our grader is 55210.
Still looking for as much history as possible. I would love to upload a picture soon.

Ole Gal

Occupation
Construction: House framing and steel erection. R
chisel_maker, could you post a larger pic of your grader in the avatar? I tried to enlarge your avatar to see more detail, but that did not work. I bought a grader which I think is a Galion and has the same power unit as your Austin Western model 55. The seller told me it was an Adams, which I am fairly certain now that it is not. The frame on my grader goes through the cab and not under the cab as the Adams does.

Graderfan1981

I have never seen a picture from a model 55 on the web. I don't know much about that older types. Have someone a list from the earlier types then the 88-H for example?

mitch504

chisel_maker, could you post a larger pic of your grader in the avatar? I tried to enlarge your avatar to see more detail, but that did not work. I bought a grader which I think is a Galion and has the same power unit as your Austin Western model 55. The seller told me it was an Adams, which I am fairly certain now that it is not. The frame on my grader goes through the cab and not under the cab as the Adams does.

I'd like to see a larger pic of yours. I have an A-W and a Galion.

chisel_maker

Austin Western Model 55

That power unit was used by several manufactures.
Here are some pictures of my grader. Serial number 55620

2009-07-18 13-35-55 - 0211.jpg
2009-07-18 13-36-04 - 0212.jpg
2009-08-02 14-26-46 - 0224.jpg

Last edited:

chisel_maker

Here's some other pictures I've found over the years.

!940 model 55
1940 Austin Western grader.jpg

1948 Model 55 loaded on a train for shipment.
Austin Western 55 Loaded on Train 1948.JPG

Austin Western sales brochure (I have the original)
Austin Western Brochure.JPG

Don't know about these except there model 55's
Austin Western Grader 1.jpg
Austin Western Grader 2.jpg

Ole Gal

Occupation
Beautiful grader, chisel_maker. Did you restore it yourself? Is the serial number of the grader or on the I-U unit?

Ole Gal

Occupation
Here are some pics of my grader which I think is a Galion. I found serial nos. on the transmission and engine support, but no I.D. on the grader anywhere. It ran good when I bought it, but the cab was really rusted out. I Pretty much pulled the skin off with my hands and I wanted visibility so I used some Plexiglas I had to make windows and fabbed some doors. Anything I had to work on and had to be removed, I also cleaned and painted. galion.jpgIMG_0654.jpgIMG_0661.jpg

chisel_maker

Beautiful grader, chisel_maker. Did you restore it yourself? Is the serial number of the grader or on the I-U unit?

She was mostly restored when I bought her. I had to go thru the motor, hydraulics and electrical.
There are 3 id tags on this unit. One International tag on the motor with the motor serial number.
One International tag on the drive unit with the drive unit serial number.
One Austin Western Tag on the Right front with the grader serial number. See Photo below.

Grader serial no.jpg

markat

Chisel maker, that's a nice grader! Are you going to make and add decals some day? Ours has visible original decals on it. I can't post a picture on here yet. I would be glad to some day, if you are interested. Ours is a plumbers nightmare right now. A lot of copper tubing used to replace hydraulic lines in the past. Still working on it and looking for more information on it.

chisel_maker

Chisel maker, that's a nice grader! Are you going to make and add decals some day? Ours has visible original decals on it. I can't post a picture on here yet. I would be glad to some day, if you are interested. Ours is a plumbers nightmare right now. A lot of copper tubing used to replace hydraulic lines in the past. Still working on it and looking for more information on it.

I would love to see photos of your grader with original makings on it. I only have one photo of a model 55 with any makings.

markat

Looking at the old photos you posted, were all cabs made without doors? Ours has doors but I believe that they have been added at some point.

chisel_maker

Looking at the old photos you posted, were all cabs made without doors? Ours has doors but I believe that they have been added at some point.

The base grader had no cab or doors. You could buy the grader with a cab and no doors or with a cab and doors. Message me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the sales brochure pictured above. There's some great info on the back side.

herc983

Galion 402

Here are some pics of my grader which I think is a Galion. I found serial nos. on the transmission and engine support, but no I.D. on the grader anywhere. It ran good when I bought it, but the cab was really rusted out. I Pretty much pulled the skin off with my hands and I wanted visibility so I used some Plexiglas I had to make windows and fabbed some doors. Anything I had to work on and had to be removed, I also cleaned and painted. View attachment 128023View attachment 128024View attachment 128025
I think your grader is a Galion 402 - I have one like it

DDGraderman

That's my 1940 road grader with the yellow beacon light on it I also have a 1950 Austin western with out a cab both model 55! My red 1940 is still used to grade priviate roads drive ways etc.... And my 1950 serves as my back up!