• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV Skid Steer oil Question

Nicker

I split an oil line on an attachment and lost about 6 gallons of hydraulic oil on my 2005 RC 100. It holds 20 gallons but since I didn't have the manufatures spec oil, In a pinch I added back off brand Multi use Hydraulic Oil.

Any suggestions if I should drain the whole sytem?

Thanks.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Nicker, most of the skidsteers that I've worked with call for a 10W-30 engine oil spec. I'm working on researching your answer. I'm trying to locate the RC100 owners manual on line and have found a copy. What was the specific hydraulic oil brand, type and ISO rating that you added.
Alway glad to assist a forum member with compatibility issues.

Last edited:

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Nicker,

Here's the spec's out of the OEM manual I downloaded off the manufactures web site:

Fluids and Lubricants: When replacing or replenishing the fluids and lubricants in your PT-100 Rubber Track Loader, you can specify ASV fluids and lubricants. This assures the new fluids and lubricants match those originally installed when your machine left the ASV
factory. ASV fluids and lubricants were developed for, tested and approved by ASV to assure optimum life and performance in all ASV Rubber Track Equipment, when used as recommended. The ASV fluid and lubricant product line includes:
• Heavy Duty Engine Oil, 10W30;
• Premium All Season MV Hydraulic Oil;
• Multi-Purpose EP Lithium Grease;
• Long-Life 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant;
• Undercarriage Wheel Bearing Lubricant.

ASV fluids and lubricants are available through your ASV Dealer. If ASV products are not available for some reason, use an approved equivalent, as specified elsewhere in this manual.

Hydraulic System Page Spec Fluids: ASV Premium All Season MV Hydraulic Oil, or approved hydraulic fluid such as Chevron Rykon MV.
He is the link to the OEM operating manual if you don't have one:
http://www.asvi.com/documents/Service/pt_100_o&m_2007-12.pdf

Last edited:

Nicker

Thank you!

The oil I added was JD-20 equivilant. My thought process was that it ran the Hydraulic movments on the machine and also the transmission.

I'm probably out in left field here.

I appreciate your help.

Nick

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Findings

Nicker, I have been researching your fluid compatibility question and have determined that you should have no problems with compatibility.

The ASV spec oil is Chevron Rykon MV, which is a premium all-season multi-viscosity hydraulic fluid. The JD20 fluids are basically the same specification and are also multi-viscosity and available is various viscosities.

It's your machine, but I see no reason to drain the system. I would recommend oil analysis on the hydraulic fluid and engine oil to determine when a system drain is necessary vs. changing on hours. Oil analysis is a valuable tool that you can use to see what is going on inside the machine. The fluids are the life-blood of the machine, and oil analysis is a tool that technician use on equipment, just like a doctor would a blood-sample to determine the health of a patient.

Most oil samples run from $10.00 for the very basic, to $30.00 for a complete analysis of the fluid. If you need help finding a lab, I can send you the addresses and contact information for a couple that I use. Again, I can stress enough how valuable oil analysis is from a reliability and economical standpoint. Saving you money and reducing equipment down time.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Oil testing labs

MidContinent Testing Laboratories Inc.
PO Box 3388
Rapid City, SD. 57709
Att: Marty

Email: Marty@TheChemistryLab.com
web site: www.TheChemistryLab.com
---------------------------------------------
Oil Analyzers Inc. use the lab closest to you for the fastest service:

OAI Laboratories
7898 Zionsville Road
Indianapolis, IN. 46268

OAI Laboratories
10910 W. Sam Houston Pkwy. N.
Houston, TX. 77064-6314

OAI Laboratories
3060 W. California Ave.
Suite B
Salt Lake City, UT. 84104

General Phone: (877) 458-3315
Order Kits: (800) 777-7094

If you need a kit mailed to you, let me know I keep them on the shelf; or can assist you with getting an account set up with these labs as I use both companies.

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
None that I have used. I'm sure you could find an equipment dealer in your area that has programs available. Do you have any Caterpillar or John Deere equipment dealers in your immediate area? If not I could get you a sample kit in the mail, and it will be analysised the day it is received in the lab. From you place to South Dakota should be no more than 3-days via the USPS. That would put you at approximately a 4-day turn-around time on your sample with Marty.

Oil Analysers typically will take a couple days longer. Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

I found this lab in your state on yahoo. I don't know anything about them, but you could call them and see what they have to offer.
http://www.analaboratories.com/commonrootie/locations.asp

Last edited:

OhioCATBrent

Nick,

I work for the Caterpillar Equipment OEM in Ohio. We have an Oil/Patroleum and lubrication test lab in Cleveland, Ohio. ASV was at one point in the not so distant past owned by CAT...we have sinced passed them off to Terex. ASV can run CAT OEM Hydro fluid. Also, if you are using work tools remember that as you cycle fluid to them, stop, uncouple the work tool you lose about 2 gallons of fluid that are left in the lines. I agree with the previous posts and as long

Any Equipment dealer can test any competitors fluid samples. CAT test any for a standard rate of $42 or less depending on the amount of samples.

I agree with the above posts so you should be fine. Sampling/testing is a huge cost saver. With technology advancing, sampling labs can catch problems prior to any breakdown or lost work. I would advise sampling every 250-500 hrs of work and if you shut down during the harsh winter get a sample prior and a sample just before you start work again in the spring. Sometimes Contractors and Owner Operators don't watch their fleet as close as necessary and sometimes contaminents find their way into the closed system. Fluid sampling can save you huge money.

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I need to get my Bobcat's & other equipment on a oil program. I'm in KY guess Indy would be my closest one. I'm sure the website's will have all the info.
One has 1200 hrs, one is 2700 & a dozer is at 6000 hrs.:usa

Johnsoils

Site Sponsor
Oil Analysis

I need to get my Bobcat's & other equipment on a oil program. I'm in KY guess Indy would be my closest one. I'm sure the website's will have all the info.
One has 1200 hrs, one is 2700 & a dozer is at 6000 hrs.:usa

Farmboy555,

If you need assistance with getting started with an analysis program, please feel free to contact me. I can assist you with a sample pump kit and sample kits. I can also assist you with reading and interrupting the results of your analysis reports. An analysis program is money well spend on your equipment.

Thanks,

John

maka

Cat did not own ASV. ASV supplied cat under carriages and at one point Cat owned stock. Just to set the record straight. Maka