• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV RT120 vs Takeuchi TL12R2

Crazytimbermonkey

Sorry I posted this earlier under logging equipment. Newbie didn't see the CTL category. I have a logging operation but I'm looking to purchase a CTL with a mulching head. Any input would be appreciated. Currently I'm looking at an ASV RT120 for $98,750 or a Takeuchi TL12R2 for $77,500-ish. I don't have the final number on the Takeuchi yet. the cummins powered ASV has more power than the Takeuchi and hydraulics seem to be geared more towards mulching. Despite the 20k difference in price I'm leaning towards the ASV. Am I making a mistake? I know the older models had reliability issues, just looking for a bit of insight from the pros......

furu

I would say no but I don't have all the information as to exactly what you want to do. What kind of mulching with what head etc, I have the PT-110 and have been very happy with it with a Fecon BH-74HDT rotor. I know that some of the ASV 100 models had some problems but I have been very fortunate and have had only one minor problem so far with a throttle engine code. I previously used a CAT 299 XHP and there is no comparison.
Having said all that I know nothing of the RT120 but would guess it is even better with the slight increase in power.
What kind of dealer support do you have for each? Mulching is not easy on the machine.

Crazytimbermonkey

There is a lot of work around here clearing small lots for new construction. Mostly vines and palmettos. I've been told heads with a knife set up are much better in palmettos that the carbide teeth. The soil is very sandy here. Almost no rocks whatsoever. My ASV Dealer is recommending the loftness G4.

f311fr1

You might also look at a Gyrotrac. They have knife type teeth on the rotor and the will eat vines and brush very well. I had a Gyrotrac low flow head and an FAE high flow head and in brush and vines the Gyrotrac would out perform the FAE with carbide teeth. That being said the Gyrotrac did not like rocks at all. Most of the mulching contractors in middle TN have gone to Kubota and Tak as prime movers. We have a CAT 299D2 XHP and it does well. We also have an ASV RC85 and a ASV RC100. The ASV will ride much better than any CTL, however undercarrige mantaince is expensive.