• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ariel Logging- Balloons, Helicopters, or Otherwise.

MOUNTAIN MAN

(Life)Tete Jaune B.C/(Live)Grande Prairie AB
Occupation
School, grd 10 now!
Clear Creek Logging, Owned by Pat Soderberg, used this balloon for logging in Alaska in the 1970's. This isnt a great pic as it was taken out of a helicopter on a miserable day. Yarder is a Washington Aero-Yarder, loading shovel is a Washington TL-6 Trackloader on rubber. Also in the pic you can see a Cat dozer (used to anchor the balloon) and a grapple skidder to bring the logs from the yarder to the shovel.

How does the balloon move all that wheight or what does it do?:beatsme

Tethered

contacting the operators of balloon logging

I have alot of old pics featuring aeronautical devices used for logging. For a few years in the early 90's I was a loading/trucking contractor working with Columbia Helicopters and Evergreen Helicopters around Washington State. I have been in the hot seat of the shovel scrambling and cursing as the pilots buried me in logs and laughed about it! Bastards.

Here in Alaska a fellow name Pat Soderberg pioneered loggong with hot-air balloons, and for a few years it really took off, pun intended.

I spoke with a few researchers recently who are interested in contacting the operators of balloon logging systems. You mentioned Pat Soderberg's hot-air balloons at "Clear Creek Logging", someone else mentioned "Whispering Winds", and Big Iron said his little brother worked for Wes LaMatta at Columbia in reference to balloon logging - I had only heard of Faye Stewart's "Flying Dutchman".

Can you let me know if you know anybody who operated balloon logging systems? They seemed to have disappeared by the 80's.

trakloader

I spoke with a few researchers recently who are interested in contacting the operators of balloon logging systems. You mentioned Pat Soderberg's hot-air balloons at "Clear Creek Logging", someone else mentioned "Whispering Winds", and Big Iron said his little brother worked for Wes LaMatta at Columbia in reference to balloon logging - I had only heard of Faye Stewart's "Flying Dutchman".

Can you let me know if you know anybody who operated balloon logging systems? They seemed to have disappeared by the 80's.

The earliest reference I have to balloon logging is a Vancouver, BC company, "Air-Reel Transport Ltd.", they operated on Seymour Mountain, North Vancouver, 1962-3. Hope this helps. :)

Tethered

The earliest reference I have to balloon logging is a Vancouver, BC company, "Air-Reel Transport Ltd.", they operated on Seymour Mountain, North Vancouver, 1962-3. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for that info.. I haven't heard of that. From what I've heard, balloon logging was actually invented by the Dutch in the mid '50s, and brought to N. America not long after.. and I don't know who pioneered it here, so that's a great lead.

I was specifically after any specific names of the operators, like Pat Soderberg, who actually did the work of balloon logging, and could talk about its benefits and shortcomings. If you know anyone, I would very much appreciate learning how to connect with them.

Also, some of the only video footage of balloon logging still around is a couple of clips from a Lassie episode in the late 60's.. any other video footage would be very interesting to the discussion as well.

Thanks for the help!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Thank you for that info.. I haven't heard of that. From what I've heard, balloon logging was actually invented by the Dutch in the mid '50s, and brought to N. America not long after.. and I don't know who pioneered it here, so that's a great lead.

I was specifically after any specific names of the operators, like Pat Soderberg, who actually did the work of balloon logging, and could talk about its benefits and shortcomings. If you know anyone, I would very much appreciate learning how to connect with them.

Also, some of the only video footage of balloon logging still around is a couple of clips from a Lassie episode in the late 60's.. any other video footage would be very interesting to the discussion as well.

Thanks for the help!

Everyone I knew who was ever involved has passed on to that pig flat old-growth patch in the sky. I will get with the 'archive' person at the Alaska Forest Association, and see what we can come up with on Pat's operation.

I do know that Bohemia Inc, also used balloon's to log in Oregon for awhile. I wish I could help you more. The Washington Iron Works salesman who sold those balloon yarders is actually a friend on mine, and less busy right now than he would like. I'll see if I can get him involved some. He's been sending me alot of email lately which leads me to believe he is bored.:)

Tethered

Everyone I knew who was ever involved has passed on to that pig flat old-growth patch in the sky. I will get with the 'archive' person at the Alaska Forest Association, and see what we can come up with on Pat's operation.

I do know that Bohemia Inc, also used balloon's to log in Oregon for awhile. I wish I could help you more. The Washington Iron Works salesman who sold those balloon yarders is actually a friend on mine, and less busy right now than he would like. I'll see if I can get him involved some. He's been sending me alot of email lately which leads me to believe he is bored.:)

Haha! I'd love to talk to him! I've heard of Bohemia.. for some reason, I think it's associated with Faye Stewart's team, but I'm not positive. A couple other names: Sherman Hoke, John Bell, and several from the Oregon State Univ. Forestry Dept.

Thank you very, very much.. there are no other resources on this, so I really appreciate anything you can provide!

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
It's bugging me enough that I'm throwing it out here for further research, but I'm sure I recall Vern Wellburn being involved in a balloon logging type venture back in the early 80's I think. I can't recall if BCFP was involved or not or even if he was working for BCFP at that time but I'm positive he was involved somehow.
He may still be involved with the museum at Duncan here on Van Isle but I'm not sure of that either.
Research Vern Wellburn a bit and see what you come up with.

Take care.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Pat Soderburgs balloon was named "Queen of Shebb" and shipped to the North Yeman port of El hodida in mid 1977 along with (I beleive) was also his D8 ground support cat Also shipped over was a Madill 071 on tracks(brand new) and other support equipment, 2 boats ,2 pickups ,1 suburban , forklifts, 2 mobile homes, light plant , power poles, rigging, helium trailer etc. etc. etc. Also along for the adventure and to do the grub work was a Madill mechanic (ME) a cable guy from Port Angles and 3 baloon loggers from Forks Wa. as well as managment types. Plan was to unload ships at port. balloon was destroyed by wind mid Dec 1977 having never pulled a turn of cargo (flew some test flights) Rest of equipment was abandoned on the beach and crew all brought home Tax write-off We never went back.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Sorry. hunt & peck typist and can't spell either. Balloon named Queen of Sheba. I have a couple of pictures of balloon & 071 but apparently can't post yet. Too junior I guess.

TorkelH

Balloon yarding

Some pic's from my professor's (Ivar Samset) main work on winch and cable systems. I have a pdf of the balloon theme (10 pp) if somebody is interested.
Pic's are from a Bohemia Lumber operation in Goose Bay, California 1983

Attachments

• yoyo bros.jpg
    yoyo bros.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,204
  • Bohemia lumber.jpg
    Bohemia lumber.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,004

TorkelH

Balloon logging

Thanks for the help!
The yarders I photographed had belonged to "Skyhook Enterprices", I think that was owned by a man with a polish name.

It was an article about Pat Soderbergs outfit in Pacific logging congress papers from late 70's, but I can't find it.

And, we recently visited a former Bohemia shop, you could probably get in touch with someone that knows something through Weyerhaeuser there.

I also (now this is the best part...) know about a balloon logging film in the archive of the Norwegian forestry research institute, I'll see if I can get hold of it and make a copy.

Last edited:

TorkelH

Erickson Aircrane

Hydraulic longlines... Photos from Cameron

Attachments

• SAM_0350.jpg
    SAM_0350.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,786
  • SAM_0347.jpg
    SAM_0347.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,348
  • SAM_0343.jpg
    SAM_0343.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,331
  • SAM_0348.jpg
    SAM_0348.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,280
  • SAM_0349.jpg
    SAM_0349.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,270

HCF

Occupation
Fabricator
The yarders I photographed had belonged to "Skyhook Enterprices", I think that was owned by a man with a polish name.

It was an article about Pat Soderbergs outfit in Pacific logging congress papers from late 70's, but I can't find it.

And, we recently visited a former Bohemia shop, you could probably get in touch with someone that knows something through Weyerhaeuser there.

I also (now this is the best part...) know about a balloon logging film in the archive of the Norwegian forestry research institute, I'll see if I can get hold of it and make a copy.

I actually may be able to help. I work with a guy who grew up in Canada in the logging camps while his dad was, what I was told, the manager of sky hook enterprises. My buddy was only about 10 (23 now) when his family moved down here to western Oregon and got into the steel business.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
I see now this is not the same chopper, the one in the air is up in the end of Sproat Lake and is the "weaker" F, if I not remember wrong (I think the E have twin wheels on the main gear, but I may be wrong)

I was told the "F" model had the dual wheels, we had it in camp a few times at Powell Daniels, cann't remember the name on it, but I hauled fuel to it.
Would take 600 gallons a cycle which was 45 min. of fly time and lay 150 meters of wood in the landing in that time. The "E" model that came in was called "Bubba", it was one of the older machines. told that at end of a cycle it could lift 20000 lbs where the F could do 25000 lbs. (I'll try to load pics).

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Canandian Air-Crane S-64E

flying wood.

Attachments

• img030.jpg
    img030.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,014
  • img031.jpg
    img031.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,993
  • img033.jpg
    img033.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,023
  • img034.jpg
    img034.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,012
  • img035.jpg
    img035.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,156

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Beaver Rescue!

The Beaver hit a chunk when landing, opened a hole in one float and slowly rolled over, every one got out with only wet feet! This S-61 of Vancouver Island Helicopters came in to get it back to town. whole camp came to watch. Secuity Bay, Weldwood of Canada.

Attachments

• img065.jpg
    img065.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,863
  • img064.jpg
    img064.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,871
  • img063.jpg
    img063.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,869
  • img066.jpg
    img066.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,865
  • img067.jpg
    img067.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,866

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
up up and away....

Attachments

• img070.jpg
    img070.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,878
  • img069.jpg
    img069.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,890
  • img068.jpg
    img068.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,845

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Heli-logging at Jervis Inlet

out boating one day and found these guys flying wood.

Attachments

• img072.jpg
    img072.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,861
  • img073.jpg
    img073.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,880
  • img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,831
  • img075.jpg
    img075.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,873
  • img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,991

logger mike

I worked for Erickson Air Crane which is also Canadian Air Crane, i have worked below many of them, all Erickson aircraft have names painted on the nose i have worked with Georgia Peach, Elvis, goliath, and even cgjzk that worked in cali one summer. amazing aircraft that shouldnt fly but do very well they do like theyre 300 gallons of jet A evry hour though.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Beaver Mishap

up up and away....

Where did this small disaster happen? I went from logging to fixing float planes on the west Coast of Vancouver Island back in the early '80s. By looking at the rear window of the Beaver, I can tell this is an old pic because most companies modified their aircraft to the bigger side windows. Care to name the airline?

It never failed to amaze me that pilots sometimes would hole their floats and would watch helplessly as their A/C slowly turned over and sank. It happened to more than a few machines I was involved with. The smarter guys would try to tie up to something and keep her from going over or take off quickly and get back to base or even beach the bloody thing. I put lots of temporary patches on floats to get them home. The Beaver shown seems to have taken a bit of damage to the float struts by looking at the angle of the float to the wing - something came loose. However, when they finally had it out of the water and heading home, the thing appears to be hanging normally. These mishaps were probably one of the reasons that I got out of fixing float planes.