• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Apprentice operator looking for some help

runt

I'm an apprentice operator looking to learn how to roll asphalt. Last season, I got paired with a journeyman operator who was excellent and very generous with her knowledge, and now having some time off this winter I've been going out to my training school to try and replicate the things I learned. Problem is, I have no hot asphalt to roll--just millings. The journeyman said I can "learn a lot on dirt" but didn't elaborate much. Yesterday i spent 8 hours rolling over a stretch of graded millings, basically just getting the feel for the way the machine moves and how to make it do what I want. When I go back out there next week, I'd like to be able have some actual exercises to do. Any roller operators here that have some good tips on how to practice? I have access to some concrete blocks that I might be able to set up as a false curbline... I was thinking that might be a good idea. The roller I have is Hamm HD90 vibratory tandem drum roller. Which is good, because the company I work for has all Hamms.

And a separate question regarding seat position: what is the correct position for the seat to be in? The journeyman I worked with always ran her seat all the way to curbside of the run and faced sideways, but I've seen other people run them in many different (usually more forward facing) positions. Also, from what i can recall, she didn't move her seat until a new lane was started and the curb was on the opposite side, but I've seen other operators moving them fairly regularly over the course of one lane... What should I be getting in the habit of doing?

Thank you!

elmo

The instructors at the training site should be able to answer your questions that's there job, If not ask another instructor. Learn how to slowly come to a stop so you don't push the asphalt. Stop at a slight angle so you can roll out the any bumps in the material. Try not to make sharp turns so the drum doesn't tear the material. Go to your meetings and ask one of the agents or dispatcher who there are roller operators and ask them your questions. Set your seat on the curb side and when you pinch a joint on that side.

runt

The instructors at the training site should be able to answer your questions that's there job, If not ask another instructor. Learn how to slowly come to a stop so you don't push the asphalt. Stop at a slight angle so you can roll out the any bumps in the material. Try not to make sharp turns so the drum doesn't tear the material. Go to your meetings and ask one of the agents or dispatcher who there are roller operators and ask them your questions. Set your seat on the curb side and when you pinch a joint on that side.

Thanks for replying. I am going to the training site on my own time this winter, so there aren't any instructors available right now for me to ask. But your advice will definitely help me practice! Thank you!

runt

Also keep in mind that hot mix can be rolled with tooo many passes and the mat will tear. A torn mat is not something you want to be responsible for.

Yeah, I definitely understand that. The journeyman I was training with always ran first roller, and she would seal the mat in just a few passes before moving up. I haven't yet gotten to see how many passes a second or third roller would typically make, but I would imagine it's not too many because the second roller was never far behind us...

Tinkerer

The person on the site that is representing the customer is usually the one who determines how many passes the breakdown roller makes. They also core drill the mat after it is completely cooled and then perform an analysis of the compaction and the final depth of the mat.
The finish (rear) roller operator has to know what they are doing. If the finish roller gets too close to the first roller the mat will likely be too hot to remove the breakdown roller's marks. If he waits too long the mat will be too cold and no amount of rolling will remove the roller marks.
You will see the back-end man on the paver screed continually sticking a steel rod with a washer in the mat right at the paver. He is checking the unrolled mat depth.
I am not trying to be a know it all, but I spent a lot of time on every type of asphalt roller used and I also ran pavers and road wideners. Road wideners are very good at spreading hot mix on shoulders. I remember doing an 11 foot wide shoulder on an interstate highway.

Last edited:

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm sure rolling is a little different anywhere, but being smooth in stopping and starting prevents ridges. I would say the seat positions depends on what you need to get close too, All the guys I have watched moved the seat to the side that the clearance was tightest. Ie. the cold joint, the shoulder, or curbline. The biggest thing with a roller is don't get in a hurry. Compaction takes steady consistent speed. I don't care how fast you are moving if you are getting the compaction numbers that the customer has spec'd. PennDot has a roller pass schedule that is determined on the job by proof rolling with the equipment that is going to be used. The onsite inspector has the operators make multiple passes until the aggregate breaks or the material begins to lose compaction. That will tell you how many passes that need to be ran.

runt

The person on the site that is representing the customer is usually the one who determines how many passes the breakdown roller makes. They also core drill the mat after it is completely cooled and then perform an analysis of the compaction and the final depth of the mat.
The finish (rear) roller operator has to know what they are doing. If the finish roller gets too close to the first roller the mat will likely be too hot to remove the breakdown roller's marks. If he waits too long the mat will be too cold and no amount of rolling will remove the roller marks.
You will see the back-end man on the paver screed continually sticking a steel rod with a washer in the mat right at the paver. He is checking the unrolled mat depth.
I am not trying to be a know it all, but I spent a lot of time on every type of asphalt roller used and I also ran pavers and road wideners. Road wideners are very good at spreading hot mix on shoulders. I remember doing an 11 foot wide shoulder on an interstate highway.

Thank you for sharing this knowledge! Are there set rules for when the finish roller knows when to start his passes? I'd guess it's dependent upon temperature of the mix, ambient temperature, etc., right?

runt

I'm sure rolling is a little different anywhere, but being smooth in stopping and starting prevents ridges. I would say the seat positions depends on what you need to get close too, All the guys I have watched moved the seat to the side that the clearance was tightest. Ie. the cold joint, the shoulder, or curbline. The biggest thing with a roller is don't get in a hurry. Compaction takes steady consistent speed. I don't care how fast you are moving if you are getting the compaction numbers that the customer has spec'd. PennDot has a roller pass schedule that is determined on the job by proof rolling with the equipment that is going to be used. The onsite inspector has the operators make multiple passes until the aggregate breaks or the material begins to lose compaction. That will tell you how many passes that need to be ran.

Thanks for replying. I've been trying to run at a consistent 3.5 mph and today i spent a lot of time working on just keeping a consistent speed and stopping and starting smoothly without getting too much out of that speed range.