• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone know we’re theres any big boy vises at

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
saw an ole Prentice made vice yr ago at a car swap meet in south ga. I bet that thing had 12 inch wide jaws An would open up an hold a milk crate. Like a fool I didn’t grab it after the guy priced it to me for 500 bucks. It prob weighed 350 to 400 lbs. told him I’d be back after lunch. My wife said ya better get it. But I really didn’t see anyone else there that would of wanted a monster like that one, I tolder it’ll be there all day. Needless to say it got gone. I’ve been looking ever since for another monster. I can’t seem to keep one on the back of my service truck with out busting it into Bad bout holding Hyd cylinders An getting them apart. Well I’ve seen pics of some
Monsters but none for sale an all the big ones I do find for sale only have 4 or 6 inch jaws. I want one that don’t mind talking a lil abuse. Been thinking bout making one but hadn’t started it

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Was looking around online earlier today An Saw an anvil from
Few yrs ago an it was mounted on a homemade pallet An there was 2 men standing beside it an it looked to be waiste high An maybe 4 or 5 ft long. I think it’s the biggest I’d ever seen

DIYDAVE

Look up farm estate auctions, on auctionzip, in your area. Prices are generally lower there... I inherited a Chas parker vice, about 6-8" jaw and opening, from my grandfather, and another from a great uncle, that's a lot bigger...

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Ok thx. Never though of that but makes sense all the ole timers had that stuff laying around

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Yea though of building one but I’m a real hard head. I need a sure nuff idiot proof one to build. I’ve been known to put Hyd cylinders in my old
Vises An use my service truck auto Craine to pull my 6ft pipe wrench or hook my 1 1/2 drive ratchet to cylinder nut An use 20 ft Chester pipe. Would love to sit down a think up of a sure nuff band boy build. An maybe use train track as the jaws.

gtermini

I bought a new old stock Wilton C3 6" combo bench/pipe vise for around 5 bills that fits the size you're after. I think they are closer to $2k new, but you might get lucky on ebay. My other big shop vise is a Prentiss Bulldog 5X8 from about 1940. It's way classier than the Wilton, but I'd cry if I broke it beating on something in it with a hammer. For unadulterated hammer abuse, I have a big blacksmith's leg vise on a portable heavy steel stand.

For hyd cylinders, I have a big old Reed chain pipe vise. It bites pretty good on the round body. Ridgid doesn't make them near as heavy as Reed.

https://www.reedmfgco.com/en/products/vises/chain-vises/

SetRatioSize600550-CV4.jpg

Seems like a guy could whip up something like one of theses in a half day. There doesn't look to be anything special about the parts needed. Hardest this to find would be the jaw inserts.
MSD-HDCV_B.jpg

msd-hdcv_48.jpg

http://www.ms-d.com/tooling.html

crane operator

I bought a new old stock Wilton C3 6" combo bench/pipe vise for around 5 bills that fits the size you're after. I think they are closer to $2k new, but you might get lucky on ebay. My other big shop vise is a Prentiss Bulldog 5X8 from about 1940. It's way classier than the Wilton, but I'd cry if I broke it beating on something in it with a hammer. For unadulterated hammer abuse, I have a big blacksmith's leg vise on a portable heavy steel stand.

For hyd cylinders, I have a big old Reed chain pipe vise. It bites pretty good on the round body. Ridgid doesn't make them near as heavy as Reed.

https://www.reedmfgco.com/en/products/vises/chain-vises/

SetRatioSize600550-CV4.jpg

Seems like a guy could whip up something like one of theses in a half day. There doesn't look to be anything special about the parts needed. Hardest this to find would be the jaw inserts.
MSD-HDCV_B.jpg

msd-hdcv_48.jpg

http://www.ms-d.com/tooling.html

you could get the vise inserts from grainger or msc, or other tooling place, google vice inserts and several come up. I really like that blue clamp set up with the brake adjuster and roller chain. I went to their site and their benches are quite something also. Never knew you could buy such things, thanks for posting.

In other news, I did just pick up a vise off craigslist yesterday. Chas Parker 436, with a nice set of pipe jaws in it. I think it will work well with smaller cylinders, up to 6-7" or so. The toe of my boot will give you a little size reference- I wear a 13.

I'm not sure me and it are going to get along though, when I pulled it off the forklift, the goofy mount frame they had on it , tried to come around and eat me. Got my pants pretty good, and they were good pants too......

20171027_140054.jpg 20171027_140018.jpg 20171027_140112.jpg

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Wow almost had to get that leg stitched up! New pants hopefully are Lil more comfy than putting a stitched up leg in a pair, New pants are like boots. They look good but wear like crap first few hundred miles till they get experienced

mitch504

Go to that CL ad and click on farm and garden t the top and you'll see he just reposted the same ad

JohnHFrancis57

saw an ole Prentice made vice yr ago at a car swap meet in south ga. I bet that thing had 12 inch wide jaws An would open up an hold a milk crate. Like a fool I didn’t grab it after the guy priced it to me for 500 bucks. It prob weighed 350 to 400 lbs. told him I’d be back after lunch. My wife said ya better get it. But I really didn’t see anyone else there that would of wanted a monster like that one, I tolder it’ll be there all day. Needless to say it got gone. I’ve been looking ever since for another monster. I can’t seem to keep one on the back of my service truck with out busting it into Bad bout holding Hyd cylinders An getting them apart. Well I’ve seen pics of some
Monsters but none for sale an all the big ones I do find for sale only have 4 or 6 inch jaws. I want one that don’t mind talking a lil abuse. Been thinking bout making one but hadn’t started it

Chris Allen,
This is John Francis, I have what you are looking for! Check out my website www.jnwvise.com and www.jnwmachine.com. Take a look and see what you think. This vise hold 2"Ø to 12"Ø and its bullet proof! There are avenues on the websites to get in touch with us. Looking forward to our conversation.

John Francis

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I think it was on youtube I seen what's his name make one....oh... chucky2000 I think...

Old Doug

I have had alot of guys asking about big vices i bet it would cost close to 500.00 in steel and a acme rod and nut. I found a good size vice that had a chunk broken out of the slide.I cut the jaw off and made a new side and bolted it back together than had it nickle welded. I went to get it after it was welded and they said it had moved and wasnt square. I put it back together and have used it for years i guess it wasnt strait when it was made.