• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone ever use a Case back"wards"hoe ?

Madman

I used one the other day for a few minutes, WTx, I thought I knew how to use one until I tried this, lol:Banghead I'm refering to the backhoe attachment, the levers are different then an excavator and the 3 other backhoes I ever used. I heard something about this before. I call it a backwardshoe. haha:D

Last edited by a moderator:

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
a case 580 im presuming you're talking about. Those machines are the best ones around.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Do you mean it has ISO style controls? (As opposed to SAE, which is standard for excavators these days.) The ISO style is like John Deere backhoe controls. Or was it something else altogether?

I ran typical Case 3 lever, pedal-swing hoes for a long time before I bought a 580 with the Deere style controls. It took some getting used to. Then, when I got on an excavator, that was a whole nother learning experience...

DigDug

I run a Case backhoe & then jump into the excavator without noticing it. I guess when your brain gets used to something working one way you dont notice the controls are different. doug

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Digger you have it backwards. Deere controls are considered SAE and Excavator or CAT controls are considered ISO. I run SAE and I can't hit the ground with ISO. This was preformed in front of a crowd at the CASE backhoe rodeo yesterday.:rolleyes:

pushcat

We got a new 953C and I was the first guy to run it. We order them with the two stick control because one of our old operators can't or won't run one with a joystick. I can run either it doesn't matter to me. Anyhow, I was having a heck of a time with this one, the controls were backwards. We had Cat come out and switch them around. I asked him what did they do, hook it up wrong at the factory? He said no, it was sent up like a wheel loader, the bucket and boom controls were switched. If I would have realized that I'm sure I could have run it with no problem, but in my mind there was no way I could get a handle on it.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Digger you have it backwards. Deere controls are considered SAE, and Excavator or CAT controls are considered ISO. :

:Banghead

I knew I should have verified it before I posted it. it's not like we haven't had this discussion before. :rolleyes:

BTW, if you're not sure about this, and you Google for "sae control pattern", about halfway down the first page you'll find this. :D

So, now I'm going to remember it as, SAE= "sure ain't excavator."

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I can't run Deere controls either I learned on Cat controls and can't change.

The Deere control pattern is goofy its not a natural hand movements :D

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I could run Deere if I did it more often. Back when we used to rent or borrow backhoes, they would always seem to come with opposite controls as the last one.

I would put a week on Cat controls, then a week on Deere. Then we would forget to specify and the next machine would be different again:Banghead . It was good for me, because my dad can't run Deere controls at all, so I got full time on the equipment. Now it would throw me off, because I haven't touched Deere controls in a year or two, but I was surprised at how easily I could get used to a new pattern.

Does anyone know why the different patterns are setup the way they are? Did the companies study to see what hand movements people were more prone to, or did they just want to be unique?

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I think the Deere control pattern has been around for years because many old gray market excavators etc with the wobble sticks are Deere pattern.

There are alot of older equipment operators can only run the Deere control pattern as that was the most common back in the 70s and early 80s.

What I don't like about the Deere pattern is the bucket curl and stick are on the same control.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
Ford LT-9000 said:
What I don't like about the Deere pattern is the bucket curl and stick are on the same control.

That's strange, I liked the fact that you could fill the bucket using only one hand. Different strokes for different folks I guess:)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
From the posting digger made it looks like I can only use SAE pattern so is that Deere or Cat controls ?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
SAE would be CAT according to the chart.The major difference is the boom and dipper.I like the Cat controls better because that is what I usually run but I have to say that I have always felt that the John Deere pattern was more intuitive.Something about it just "feels better" once you get used to it.
I have run both styles on the same job and once you get beyond having to "think about it" it really isn't a problem as many others here have observed.Ron G

mtb345

Occupation
heavey equipment operator
first thing i ask is it cat control ? when renting minis without it im lost

Electra_Glide

first thing i ask is it cat control ? when renting minis without it im lost

All the minis I've ever rented have a pattern-changing switch, and it seems that every time I have one delivered or pick one up, the first thing I have to do is switch the pattern to CAT.

Like someone else already mentioned, I learned on a CAT pattern, and can't run the Deere pattern to save my soul. I have tried a few times to force myself to use the Deere pattern, but I usually get frustrated, and reach for the switch.

Joe

Jessie Patrick

I was trained around 6 or 7 years ago my an "old school" operator who apparently only ran backhoe pattern.... hell, I didn't find out until three years ago there was even an ISO/SAE switch. I can operate and be equally productive in both sae and iso now