• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Arc welder to loosen a link pin, without removal ?

Birdseye

I offered to help a friend fix his Kubota L35 backhoe/loader. The problem is that the link-pin for loader bucket auto-leveling lever is hard to move and wont relax and sticks in position causing the bucket to fully tip down when the boom is raised. The root cause is a bad grease zerk that didnt pass grease into the sleeve and pin. This has been fixed but the pin is still too hard to move, it should really be loose and spin freely by hand.

Probably the best solution is to remove the pin from the sleeve and give it a good cleaning and polishing but to gain access to remove the pin, 4 hoses have to be removed from the FEL control valve and the valve removed from the frame etc. I'd much prefer not to do al that.

Any suggestions to loosen that pin without removing it from the sleeve? I've gotten some grease to go thru and put oil on the ends. I've moved it back/forth thru the 90 degree swing space but it still isnt freed up to where its easy to move.

I was wondering about heating it with a arc welder by creating a short circuit with the stick on the end of the pin, not sure if this works or is asking for more trouble .

Thanks.

IMG_8526.jpegIMG_8522.jpegIMG_8521.jpegIMG_8523.jpeg

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I have heard of people using their favorite penitrating/rust removing oil. Perhaps use the item below to injuec it and let it sit between applications (with fingers crossed...LOL). It does look doable to get the pin out, just a bit of work.

1713962764680.jpeg

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
You could use a heat induction tool on it. I have used my welders to thaw out pipes before but what you are trying to do might be hard to control.
I would put some penetrating oil in the top of my grease gun and push it in a few times

Delmer

I like to pump oil into bushings like that, ATF is thin and easy to find. Use a grease gun with the plunger removed and held upright to not spill the oil. The mini grease guns work good for this, because they're not good for much else. Pump a couple shots, every half hour of work until it loosens up.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The mini grease guns work good for this, because they're not good for much else.
animated-rolling-and-laughing-emoji-1s6e21gop1z8coa1.gif