• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Gradall operators here

DEE

Occupation
HEAVY EQUIPMENT
Telescooper ,thanks for the advice buddy.Our operators do v ditchin most of the time.They cut a lot of side slope on the back side of the ditch.Seems when i make my cut im havin trouble bringin the boom to the side cause of weak side swing .i am workin off the back but at a slight angle so boom in means swingin the boom as you bring the boom in ,im sure ya know what im sayin.they say i need to cut the top of the back slope then work my way down to the ditch line ,but im havin a jagged lookin bottom and the normal operator has a beautiful straight bottom ,man this aint a backhoe for sure ,haaa thanks for the in fo see ya here again,,Dee

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
There is a guy in my city that bought an old one I'm not sure what year or model it is, but it's definitely got a couple of screaming Detroit Diesel's. He does a lot of work for the city I've seen him at the end of winter with his bucket reversed cleaning snow out of ditches and digging up broken water mains when tractor backhoe's aren't available or can't handle the job. As far as I know its the only one in the city which is unfortunate a lot of companies here are still using the old Case 1085 Cruz air excavators for doing road work and roadside ditching. I have seen both wheeled and tracked Gradall excavators in Edmonton doing just about any excavating jobs that conventional backhoe type excavators can do. And after about ten years of running conventional machines I'd love to give a Gradall a try, I've looked on they're website and the new machines now have switchable control patterns and high pressure hydraulics like the conventional machines.

DEE

Occupation
HEAVY EQUIPMENT
Hey there,yeah we have two Gradalls here .One with a single engine and the older one with two detroits,they have pwoerfull hydraulics,and have johndeer joystick patterns but man they are tricky to get use to with the weight of the boom and they are bouncy because of the rubber tires .I have only about 8 hrs on one so far bein trained but i think if they cut me loose and left me alone id get it quicker ,haaa..thanks for the reply,take care,Dee

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah I ran a John Deere 595 wheel excavator a number of years ago and the foreman I had at the time told me it can take 2-5 years to get smooth at running it on rubber tires. Anybody can run it with outriggers down but to do it with them up is a whole different story. It had a whole bunch of problems with the hydraulics as it was quite slow and had no digging power. And I had nobody to at least give some helpful tips as to how to get "smooth" with it so I kept running with the outriggers down and after I got my winter layoff I didn't go back to working for that company. I know a guy here who runs wheel excavators here in the city and he figures with the way safety laws are going you wont be allowed to operate a wheel excavator with outriggers up. I don't know how that will work for Gradall's I don't think the truck mounted machines even come with outriggers.

telescooper

Dee

When having to cut and swing at the same time keep you cutting edge turned into the cut, You will feel when it is at the correct angle. when booming in and cutting you will have to constantly keep the opening the bucket to keep the cutting edge cutting, the angle of the edge will change as you boom in. When you get to the end of your cut close the bucket and boom out at the same time, this will help getting most of your material in the bucket. They take a little getting used to putting your bucket in the cut with all the bounce. You will get a feel for it it just takes time. On some Gradall's you can lock the suspension by turning sideways and picking up the side of the carrier. to do this turn 90 degrees and place the bucket down and push the machine pick the tires up off the ground about a foot and touch the travel pedal. you can feel the suspension lock. Don't worry you shouldn't flip it. The older G3WD's were like that the 3100 isn't some are supposed to lock automatically. I don't know about the 2 engine jobs I don't have a lot of hrs in them. Are your 2 engine excavators three levers with foot swing and foot slew controls? Hope this helps

Telescooper

DEE

Occupation
HEAVY EQUIPMENT
Thanks tele...yeah wondered why i was goin deep figured out i wasnt stoppin my cut at the ditch line center so i was diggin into the shouldr ,thanks for the tips guys

DEE

Occupation
HEAVY EQUIPMENT
TELE,, i ran a kobelco sk210c today,,,does kobelco have a way of switching joystic patterns,,,thanks,,Dee

Manjunathmvbhat

HI, This is manjunatha, i am doing market survey on wheeled excavators, Presently i am in India.
I need some pro's & Cons of Gradall Wheeled Excavators & Crawlers. Even i need Some operator comments on Vibration Handling and safety etc..
Can anyone help me out to get the above details.

U can reach me to mail :- manjunath.mv@geometricglobal.com

Manjunathmvbhat

if you have any details about gradall above models please share here or you can mail me.
If not Please share your contact details i will contact you.