• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Antique Horse Drawn Grader

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
I just purchased an antique road grader out of Texas. I got it on Ebay and haven't actually seen it yet other than pictures. The owner had no idea of the make, model, year, or anything. I know its old but looks to be in restorable shape. I believe it to be a Gallion based only on a pic I saw of a newer vintage pull grader. The draw bar has a very distinctive shape to it. I'd be glad to hear from anyone that knows anything. Thanks

Attachments

• 0a58_1.jpg
    0a58_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 12,180
  • 1fd1_1.jpg
    1fd1_1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 12,063
  • 3234_1.jpg
    3234_1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 15,231
  • de98_1.jpg
    de98_1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17,994
  • f74f_1.jpg
    f74f_1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14,081

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I actually got to run a grader like that. it was kinda neat, but it was a little hard on the legs and feet.

here is the next generation grader. its an Adams, that has a single cylinder Wisconson engine to run some of the blade functions.

Ill post a few more in the next few days

Attachments

• adams 2.jpg
    adams 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 11,903
  • adams 6.jpg
    adams 6.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 11,831

jboettcher

Road Grader

Don't know a thing about them and I didn't know they were collectable. I have two twice as big and in pretty good shape. Used here in the Mississippi bottoms of Lincoln County Missouri to build roads way back.

jboettcher@sccmo

dougay

i have a roadgrader that looks alot like yours .the one with out the motor.i have people asking to buy it.have know idea what its value would be.

geneb

I have one of those also. About the only difference is it has springs to help pick up the blades. We used to use it regularly until about 15 to 20 years ago.

snapfruzen

Occupation
Grader since 1976,working at a coal mine with scra
I knew an old timer who built some of the Forestry Trunk road in western Alberta with one similar to the Adams. He said with the hitch adjusted to one side and a D6 out front you could ditch through just about anything.

shortarc

In my area the Amish farmers have several of the old horse drawn graders and use them quite a bit. They are always looking for a real good one to repair and put to work.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
In 2000, Adams County Washington had several of these, more refined, with pneumatic tires, and an old mower seat. Still, a manual tow, no pony engine to help, just armstrong adjustments. I asked a county worker why they used them. His response was the cost of a grader to profile shoulders on county roads was way too expensive. They towed these graders with a four-wheel drive one ton carrying a slug of dirt in the back for traction. The operation moved right smartly with the fellow on the grader bugged up and dusted up. It was quite an interesting sight; an air-conditioned automatic transmission truck towing the “antique” grader. Don’t know if they still use them.

shortarc

Here is a shot of one of the ones that belongs to an Amish farmer in my area. I had to do a little work on it for him.

Attachments

• 0406100823a_411697 (Small).jpg
    0406100823a_411697 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6,962
  • 0406100918a_467863 (Small).jpg
    0406100918a_467863 (Small).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7,607

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Richard,that pic looks like it was taken in Bethany.

Most certainly was. In the parking lot West of Country Kitchen on Hiway 136. God's Country over here. Where you located Clyde?? :)