• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another noob with Clark forklift questions

az350x

Hi-
First time poster here. I "inherited" an older Clark forklift, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher things like model year, etc. from the data plate?

It's a Clark C500Y180D with sideshift. Any idea what the "Y" and "D" in the model number indicate?

Serial number is Y1625-09-5570CB. It's rated for 18,000 lbs. I found and printed an Operator's Manual for the C500 Y 180 (and larger units), but while this manual gives info on LPG, CNG, gas and diesel-powered variants of this truck, the only diesel it mentions is a Cummins, and my unit has a Perkins.

My intention is to get it running and decide whether to keep it around or sell it. I know it's run within the last year, but I was told it needs a starter. I haven't touched it yet, but plan to drain/replace fuel, check fluids and coolant, charge battery, etc. before trying to get it running. I don't have a key for it, so will be needing to replace ignition switch also.

If anyone has any insight to any of the above questions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tony

lantraxco

"Y" is for yardlift, Clarkspeak for pneumatic tires.

"D" is for diesel and I have seen perkins in Clarks but it may or may not be original. Your manual may just be for the wrong years.

Those are some of the toughest forklifts ever made with the slightest bit of maintenance. If I'm remembering correctly you can, with factory blessing, add fender weights and a horseshoe counterweight in the back, go all the way up to 22,500 capacity. Have to lead the steer axle to get 25K. Is that the one that was on craig's forever? I wanted to buy it but I couldn't afford to get it hauled, lol.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Hi-
First time poster here. I "inherited" an older Clark forklift, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher things like model year, etc. from the data plate?

It's a Clark C500Y180D with sideshift. Any idea what the "Y" and "D" in the model number indicate?

Serial number is Y1625-09-5570CB. It's rated for 18,000 lbs. I found and printed an Operator's Manual for the C500 Y 180 (and larger units), but while this manual gives info on LPG, CNG, gas and diesel-powered variants of this truck, the only diesel it mentions is a Cummins, and my unit has a Perkins.

My intention is to get it running and decide whether to keep it around or sell it. I know it's run within the last year, but I was told it needs a starter. I haven't touched it yet, but plan to drain/replace fuel, check fluids and coolant, charge battery, etc. before trying to get it running. I don't have a key for it, so will be needing to replace ignition switch also.

If anyone has any insight to any of the above questions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tony

Y stands for "yard"truck, so it will have pneumatic tires.
D stands for Diesel, hence a diesel engine.
It was the 9th truck built by Clark in production run number 5590.
Your plate shows 18,000 capacity. It could have been configured as a 16,000 to 25,000 capacity.
Will seek more details after a visit to KY till August 22nd.

az350x

"Y" is for yardlift, Clarkspeak for pneumatic tires.

"D" is for diesel and I have seen perkins in Clarks but it may or may not be original. Your manual may just be for the wrong years.

Those are some of the toughest forklifts ever made with the slightest bit of maintenance. If I'm remembering correctly you can, with factory blessing, add fender weights and a horseshoe counterweight in the back, go all the way up to 22,500 capacity. Have to lead the steer axle to get 25K. Is that the one that was on craig's forever? I wanted to buy it but I couldn't afford to get it hauled, lol.

Thanks for the reply!

Not sure if it was on CL or not, but I suspect no. I'm glad to hear these machines have a solid reputation. I don't have any use for it, but at this point my investment in it is, um, zero, AND it's sitting here in my yard, so it seems prudent to tinker with it some and see if I can get it running reliably. I'd be interested to have a ball-park idea on its value, if anyone has any idea.

I clicked the link to your website too, btw. VERY cool rigs you've got there!

Tony

az350x

Y stands for "yard"truck, so it will have pneumatic tires.
D stands for Diesel, hence a diesel engine.
It was the 9th truck built by Clark in production run number 5590.
Your plate shows 18,000 capacity. It could have been configured as a 16,000 to 25,000 capacity.
Will seek more details after a visit to KY till August 22nd.

Does any of that give any indication to what year it was built? I'm curious...

Thanks!

lantraxco

Somebody will be able to pinpoint it from the serial number, but they built this model I believe from the seventies through the nineties or thereabouts.

As far as value the rule of thumb on forklifts around here as far as I know, if they're in good running condition they're worth about a buck per pound of lift capacity. Varies some with make/model/year/attachments, and of course the local economy.

The one I was looking at I think had a duff engine but I won't swear to it, guy was asking about $5K

az350x

Howdy again - update time, for anyone who's curious.

I messed with the truck this summer some, and got it running. I put a new starter and ignition switch in it. I probably farted around with it on half a dozen occasions (driving it around property, running forks in all directions, etc.), and would guess I put about 2-2.5 hours of run time on it. It's a side shift, and although I believe the forks to be ruined due to welding/straightening? work done to them, it's a pretty fun rig.

The issues I'm having now are-
1- It quit and won't run. It starts with ether, but immediately dies. The throats of fuel tank had heavy rust visible, and it's been sitting now for a month or more with a completely full tank of fuel. My guess is I've got rust plugging fuel filter(s) somewhere and plan to run down that theory.
2- after new ignition switch install (what a wiring MESS under the dash!), I don't seem to get any battery power with key in "ACC" position, specifically to glow plug circuit, which is why I think I've only ever been able to start it with starting fluid, unless motor was good and warmed up.

Anyway, that's what's up with it. TD24 was kind enough to message me some info he found out about it- built in '84 and was in fact built with the Perkins motor. My plan is to get it running reliably and either sell it or trade it for something more useful to me here on my little 5-acre spread- like a farm tractor or something. We have a LOT of hay farmers in the area, and I'm told a unit like this with a hay squeeze on it might have some demand...

Anyway, that's what's up with me and my '84 Perkins-powered Clark 18k behemoth!