• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

another field find

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Averling barford  (4).jpg

Averling barford  (5).jpg

Averling barford  (2).jpg

Anyone with expierience of these

Deas Plant

'Travelling "Expletive".

Hi, Stock.
Ye olde Aveling Barford 6x6x6 grader, sometimes called 'Travelling "Expletive", the "expletive" meaning 'of dubious parentage'.

Ackshully, they weren't a real bad machine. That 6-wheel drive was pretty hard to stop and the 6-wheel steering made them fairly manoeverable as well.
While the controls were not the most user-friendly on the market, they were also not the worst. The machines themselves were pretty robust and could handle a good load on the blade. AND, they were all hydraulic at a time when Cat was sticking very firmly to its dog-clutch gear controls.

All the machines that I saw had either Leyland or GM diesels and the two that I operated had plenty of grunt. Those two also had torque converters in the drive train before a foot-operated clutch and manual transmission. One of these was a 20-ton machine with a GM 6V71 at 250 hp. This particular jigger had thumb-operated micro switches on the blade lift control levers to operate the steering without having to take a hand off the lift control levers - very handy around pegs and other obstacles.

If you look closely, you can see the drive shafts for the front axle laying on top of the main frame and you can also see one drive shaft bearing mount under the main frame. The transfer gear drop box for the front wheel drive can be seen under the cab surrounded by an angle iron protective frame.

This machine also has traction weights front and rear, something that I haven't seen a lot of. I don't know if they were fitted standard and they had been removed from most of the machines that I saw or if they were an optional extra.

Austin-Western and Clark were two other manufacturers who made 6x6x6 graders that looked a whole lot like these A-B machines. A-B also made 4x4x4 graders which were quite popular in their day.

BTW, I can't remember ever seeing one of these jiggers with a steering wheel. All the ones that I saw had a T-handle that operated hydraulic rams to steer the front wheels and what would be the lean wheel control in a Cat grader was the rear wheel steering control. The rear tandems on the 6x6x6's steered by turning on a turntable arrangement.

Thanks for sharing.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
info

Deas,

Thanks for the great description of this machine. You are truly a living library.

I'm always on the lookout for an unusual grader to get pictures of just so I can hear the details of it's history on this website. I really appreciate everyone's contributions.

stock

Occupation
Dea right on da money

Averling barford  (6).jpg

Averling barford  (7).jpg

Averling barford  (9).jpg

Averling barford  (10).jpg

There are still some of these working here so as soon as pic's come available I'll post them

ps its for sale ,has a recon engine in it but the clutch is worked out and the front drive bearing is snookered

stock

Last edited:

MG SUPER 500

Hi there...
I see that this is a simular grader like that I have. I just bought an Aveling Barford Super MG 500. It's an 6x6x6 witj an frontblade and mouldblade. It's an 1970modell, and it's condition is pretty good. It's powered by an Leyland AU600/46 engine, it's 597cu.ins / 9784cc. it's a staight 6sylinder, and it's about 160horse in it. And the transmission is manually.
I hope you can understand what I'm writing, my english is kinda rusty..

stock

Occupation
No problem with the english hell of a lot better than my norse, A hearty welcome to the forum.

Stock

MG SUPER 500

:) Thats good to hear :)
Well, yesterday me and my pal just bought another AB Grader... thats an SG350 6x6x6.. But it's condition is very bad... We mainly bought it for the engine, and the hydraulics and the mouldboard. But the cabin is almost gone by rust. It powered by an Scania 80 super Turbo engine, and that one is puting out about 250horse.
I have tried to put out som pics in here, but it seems that I'm not allowed?? Does anybody now why I cant??

MG SUPER 500

OK. So if I understand correctly will I be allowed to post pics and start a thread in a while after I have posted more than 3 reply's on others thread :) I just have to wait a bit then :)
thanks Steve :)

MG SUPER 500

I have to try to put in pics...
Testing...
This is my AB SG350, my latest grader...

Attachments

• DSC00617.JPG
    DSC00617.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 3,008

MG SUPER 500

And this is the AB SG500 we bought first.. and this is an very good object :) We took the pic when we was taking it with us back home.. Here its standing on our lowbed trailer...

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 2,649

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Welcome to the Forum Mg super 500.:drinkup:drinkup

I guess you got a MG in your garrage too?(Pics?:D)

There is a lot of old grader guys here on the forum, some has been operating graders from when your AB was designed...;)
Don't be afraid to post pics or ask questions, we will do our best to give you help and advice!;)

Hope you enjoy your stay here with us!:)

I made a thread some time ago with some pics of a newer AB whom i found in Drammen. Might bee some info/details for you there....

Fårrå nålles, as we say.(take care)

Deas Plant

Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Hi, MG Super 500.
Welcome to the forum. Good photos. Thanks for sharing. Your English doesn't appear to be as rusty as that SG350. It's a pity that the scarifier is missing from the SG500. Otherwise. it appears from the photo to be almost complete and fairly well cared for, apart from the bent step and the corner missing from the dozer cutting edge. I do not know if the scarifier from the SG350 will fit on the SG500.

Happy restoring and thanks again.

MG SUPER 500

:) Thanks guys :)
Yes, the SG350 is very rusty... but it all funktions well... but its mainly bought for spearparts...
And the SG500 was kind'a restored back in the late 90's, it was sandblestered (I dont know if it's called that) and repainted yellow. The shape is as I said quite good, but the electric system is VERY bad... And on these macines the electricsystem is backwords... it's having positive grounding, and te negative wiering. But we got to put in a completly new wiering system, and whith the Scania engine the dynamo will put the power the "right" way :) The SG500 came to this erea back in 1970, it was delivered in the christmas 1969. We got all the books and manuals who came with this, and its kinda good reading for an "fan" of graders :)

I will post more pics as the process is running allong :)

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Are the Aveling Barford graders the overseas model names for Austin Western? the other way around? with different power plants.
Sure looks like I have seen one like that before.

MG SUPER 500

Are the Aveling Barford graders the overseas model names for Austin Western? the other way around? with different power plants.
Sure looks like I have seen one like that before.

I've been searcing a little on the internet on these graders... And to me it looks pretty the same... with a little differences and so...
And I've heard that you could get these graders with different engines.. Leyland, Detroit and Scania.. but I think I spotted one with an Perkins engine too on the net.. :) I'n my SG500 its a Leyland engine, and it was a similar engine in the SG350 before they had put in a Scania engine there... It fitted right on.. same braketts and bolts :)

Super Roel

I've been searcing a little on the internet on these graders... And to me it looks pretty the same... with a little differences and so...
And I've heard that you could get these graders with different engines.. Leyland, Detroit and Scania.. but I think I spotted one with an Perkins engine too on the net.. :) I'n my SG500 its a Leyland engine, and it was a similar engine in the SG350 before they had put in a Scania engine there... It fitted right on.. same braketts and bolts :)

I think that Aveling-Barford and Aveling Austin motograders were licensed from Austin-Western , buth i have also an picture from an German Henschel motorgrader and that look the same as the AB and there is also an Russian motorgrader thats look also the same

Super Roel

Aveling Barford graders

I wil post here a pic of a Henschel grader that looks similar to a A B grader .

Attachments

• Herschaalde kopie van Henschel RWM motorgrader.jpg
    Herschaalde kopie van Henschel RWM motorgrader.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,313