• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Amber Exclamation Point "Action Lamp" - what does it mean?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You are the man! Yeah that looks like my dash. I'm planning on driving out to the machine tonight and I'll give it a go. The S/N is KMM00461 by the way
. Here it is Mark.:)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
if it has the compact instrument cluster you cant clear the codes without ET
the book indicates that the screen is in service mode for an active code an A is added to the code path as below .as you have not quoted a serial number it could be one of two different displays.

Mark back in message #5 he did mention the S/N : The S/N is KMM00461 by the way"

I can understand about needing ET to delete codes, I was thinking that might be the case.

We need to keep in mind that "active code" means just that. If say it was for over heating and he did not know how to "retrieve" the code and went back the next morning and looked at the codes with engine nice and cold and no "!" light on the code would not be active.

This is where having the ET hooked up will help as, at least the machines I used it on, it would give you the important information like how many times it was set and the hour meter reading for at least the last occurrence.

So if the hour meter now has 2,344 hours on it and it shows last time code was logged was at 2,343 hours and all the other codes were set say back at 1,284 hours or before you had a good idea where to start looking!

Now if the poster was to run the machine again and as soon as the "!" light came on he checked for event codes and found one of them with the "A" on before the MID Code he would know where to start looking.

Little_Grizzly

The poster is nodding his head. I will be on the machine this weekend and that is exactly my intent. I talked to Cat and they think it is safe to operate the machine. The '!' was amber and not read. To them that means the code is low severity. If it starts flashing red or is accompanied by an alarm tone then it's different.

Thanks for all your help. Really impressive that this resource is out there.

kshansen

Occupation
The poster is nodding his head. I will be on the machine this weekend and that is exactly my intent. I talked to Cat and they think it is safe to operate the machine. The '!' was amber and not read. To them that means the code is low severity. If it starts flashing red or is accompanied by an alarm tone then it's different.

Thanks for all your help. Really impressive that this resource is out there.
Please let us know what you find this weekend. I agree the amber warning is saying "Something is not right" Red would be saying "Watch out or your wallet is going to take a big hit!"

Little_Grizzly

Well as you might expect I worked it all day and the fault never happened. Let's keep this thread alive If a watched pot never boils.....

kshansen

Occupation
Well as you might expect I worked it all day and the fault never happened. Let's keep this thread alive If a watched pot never boils.....
That's how it goes sometimes! I always hated to intermittent type problems, spent literally months trying to figure out what was triggering an warning light on a Cat once and that one should have been easy as the light that was coming on was for "Plugged Filter" long story short the "real problem" was a defective temp sender!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If those oil pressure codes were logged codes, could date back to service interval. To keep DDEC and Early Cummins engines controls from showing lost oil pressure after oil changes we had to fill the new oil filters prior to install. They would not pay warranty on the early models if the low/no oil pressure code was logged in.