• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis; Is at least out of the mud

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Last of the day, time for a beer. Smile is now semi permanent, root passes on all six completed above. Will need second pass, set the corner bits then flip the big hunk of stuff for the backside finish.
IMG_1903a.jpg IMG_1904a.jpg IMG_1905a.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If that don't cut dirt none will! Also gives more 'handles' for the lift/roll chains.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Thanks DB, I know quality welds and these aint quite there but the are good for me. I am probably going to leave the big bugger sit for now, weather is changing to colder and that side of the shop is not heated where I use the door for ventilation and smoke exit. Will most likely be sitting just as it is in three or four weeks. Thanks for the wishes.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Most new moms jump out of bed far too soon to attend to others than the new baby.

Pretend, for the time alloted by your MD, that you are a new mom, at least for the time you are supposed to be on "bed rest," as they said in the army! It's hard to do, but you owe it to others to recover to 100%!

Neill

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Thanks for the worry guys. I take it pretty easy as I do this, not straining or lifting just steady burning rods other than the thumping with the BFH to get the teeth set. I want at least a semi-finished product BEFORE I get the knife. IF FOR ANY reason for my own peace of mind should anything happen(Heaven forbid) the wife will have less problem getting the stuff gone.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had a good weekend, with three days to go I got the last of the side pieces on and currently the bucket is flipped for the last of the underside work where it will stay for a while. Not sure I care for my Pad Eye side plates they may get removed after all the rest of the work is done. Did pick up three 1/2" hook weld-ons to install across the top edge, the one still on is coming off.

IMG_1925a.jpg IMG_1926a.jpg IMG_1927a.jpg

Metalman 55

Looks like it is coming along there DM. What are the extended side plates with the holes in them for........just pulling/lifting points that may be handy to have? I made a custom center lift point on the 941 bucket to save a cable from wrapping around the sharp bend on the spill plate. It is definitely not a standard Caterpillar component, but it works!

Attachments

• 20161026_133646.jpg
    20161026_133646.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Thought of using them as I do 'Pad Eyes' as we use at work for odd dimensioned materials for clevis sets, have one welded to the back of the bucket now as a lift eye. Most likely will not remain after get the bucket work done and ready for paint then will trim off level with welds. Makes a good lifting access point for chains for now and steadied up the bucket when inverted for the last bottom work.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You all can be mad, start yelling any time, could not stand it and the Doc said was OK, just not to bang my head around!! AND NOT to lift it for at least three more weeks.

Final pass welds on floor plate done, pin boss heels on but not complete, have a finish pass for bottoms and weld bottom of teeth mounts then flip it over later, just wanted bottom closer to done!
IMG_1973A.jpg

IMG_1974A.jpg

IMG_1975A.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Teeth are all 'glued' down now, filled the old carriage bolt holes some in the edge and have cleaned it up some with weld thru primer on bottom and overlay of rattle can Cat Cream Yellow. Awaiting release from Doc to flip this chunk, probably 3-5 weeks out. Lower back is kicking my lower extremities, his take was the level of arthritis as they found last August along with constant irritating use(I know) and the disc(s) is(are) mad. I am doing core stretch exercises with walking and believe or not Yoga trying to calm it back down. If does not the next step is fusing the lower one or two Lumbar discs. Not the best prognosis but not a death knell either. Tried the Tramadol again as cannot take anti-inflammatory meds for another four months, they had ZERO effect as I thought would from last use try and I am NOT going on Oxy anything, not going down that bad road.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And I know it 'aint purdy' or perfect but it is forty years+ old and been rebuilt by at least two(including me) at least this time closer to right.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Neighbor did me a favor, came up with his tractor and flipped the bucket on its bottom. Welding is done, need to paint rust converter on mold board but paint is also almost done. Again not the prettiest hog in the wallow but will do the work!! Now awaiting when I can run the crawler and mount it up.
IMG_1993a.jpg IMG_1994a.jpg

Metalman 55

Looks good! Bet you cant wait to get her on the machine & try it out.......... Did you brush paint or spray the bucket? What would you say............perhaps a 35% weight reduction from the multipurpose bucket? If I remember correctly, weren't the 7's rated at 2 yds.?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Should be just over two yards heaped by my calcs. Floor is 34" deep, the back just at 48" to top of overspill lip. The bucket should cut at least a third off the MP weight. BTW did take my 210 and fed wire around in the pin bosses, got them significantly tighter but still some loose. MP measures 27" from cutting edge to rear cutting edge and less than 40" overall height. Used rattle cans to spray the bucket, have intentions once get right final repairs done, the replacement rails on and the cage from the donor remanned so it will work better then will use mix paint and paint the entire machine with replacement decals. May end up in the future as a antique show display tractor, AFTER I get done working it. Never did get a shop to sand blast or bead blast the bucket, did find one near to Union MO but they have a three month lead appointment schedule.

And YES, I really want to set it to dirt!!

Labparamour

Bucket looks fantastic.
Gotta feel good getting out in the shop and puttering.
I bought a Texas Blastet- pretty basic sand blasting pot-
to clean up some parts. Had a small a small shed to blast in.
Looking forward to seeing it mounted back up to the machine.
DB

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Probably the one aspect of me is a little OC about repairs. I see the shoddy kind of slap together stuff that so many put out as overhauled or reman'd, mostly paint job overhauls and just makes me mad. This old bucket had been so scabbed together as to make it pretty well worthless as a excavation device more like just a dirt pile mover. And yea I did not rebuild the entire bucket just those aspects that needed a lot of TLC. The old Allis has not seen so much attention before I obtained it. This was the donor when I first received it, much of this old machine will reside within the runner.
DSC03190.JPG