• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis; Is at least out of the mud

Metalman 55

Looks like it is coming along there DM. A lot of hours go into a project like that when there is a substantial amount of welding involved. What are you going to use for shanks & teeth?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Lots of time and effort!! Is good practice for my welding 'skills'. I have six series M shanks from a 955H that was being parted out. Not the best but still good and decent as to teeth. Have no bolts and no intent on bolting them on, will be welded in place as I feel this is the last makeover for this bucket! The side shanks I could not locate so will do with the welded on cutting edge pieces for side edges/teeth.
IMG_1652a.jpg IMG_1653a.jpg

Metalman 55

On my 941 the tooth shanks were bolted on & many had come loose over the years & others scabbed weld on here & there, but with poor quality welds. When the bucket was being rebuilt last fall after sandblasting, I gouged out the worst welds on the shanks & laid some more flux core in to help the cause.

I am sure you will appreciate the GP bucket rebuilt when finished. It will likely be 30% lighter than the MP bucket?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Even with all the added steel I am thinking almost half that of the MP. One seriously heavy pile of iron!

I believe I came up with a guy to sandblast the entire bucket, have to haul to him and uncertain the cost as yet but to make it look a taste better may be worth it.

Metalman 55

If you are able to get the blasting done, that will really enhance the finish product for sure. I was glad to get mine done & it sure made the welding go better too.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One forgiving aspect of 7018 stick, knock the larger scale and paint off burn away rods and deposits most often roll to top with slag. Field welded WAAY too long!! Wire is neater and certainly quicker but has to be VERY CLEAN!!! Done gas, GMAW, MIG welding for a long long time, never sat down with a TIG gun and may not ever get that chance but the new suitcase welder could handle that! Guy is supposed to call me back but no word two days.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Bucket looking good, not sure if I'd put that much effort into a hobby machine bucket but who am I to talk haha!

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have about a grand in steel and weld supplies, cheap for a GP bucket that will pin on my antique. Spent too much for the donor but found it has newer rails even as the shoes are crap and got a decent trans from it to keep mine working while I work on the one I removed. I will still have the MP if so choose to use it or to go with it if I sell the whole magilla once I am as done with it as figure I can get!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
BTW I saw the original post in my email before you edited. The old donor the bucket came off had sat for at least five years, plus had been worked in and around the Lebanon MO area, very aggressive low pH soils there. Yes it is a 'hobby machine' but is all I have and can afford. Still works as I need it to.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
BTW I saw the original post in my email before you edited. The old donor the bucket came off had sat for at least five years, plus had been worked in and around the Lebanon MO area, very aggressive low pH soils there. Yes it is a 'hobby machine' but is all I have and can afford. Still works as I need it to.

I went to make a small change but ended up deleting everything I wrote, pecking away on a "smart" phone...

Interesting to see the affects from acidic soil!

I'm with yah, everything I own Is old and wore out but does what I want to do, with a little up keep of course.

Best thing is it's all paid for!!

You think the same as I do, I don't mind putting hours of labour as long as I'm not sinking in to much money that I won't get back out of it (working it or selling)

You could sell that bucket for a fair amount once you're done with it!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You bet, all paid up just time and effort now. All I want them to do is outlast ME! May not be too hard given all that is going south right now!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Couldn't stand it, had to do SOMETHING!! Got off my arse and measuring/situating then took my widdle 20#r and drove them into place. Just tack welded for now but are where they will remain. Do not look bad for 955 early series H teeth on a Fat Allis!
IMG_1895a.jpg
IMG_1896a.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am supposed to be laying low until AFTER neck surgery next week. Just cannot stand sitting and twiddling with crap not getting something done.
I have a haircut first thing in morning then wife goes for the same at 11, she will be out of my hair long enough for me to accomplish some work! Have second passes to make on sidewalls, side braces, get root passes made on teeth then can quit for another short span.

Labparamour

Bucket is looking great!
I know it's hard to lay low. Don't over do it!
How long are you layed up after surgery?
Hopefully mended up for summer.

DB

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Miles told the me the canned response, would be good to go after three weeks. What he did not say but his associate did was I need to let the bone grow into these before I start side pressuring them. So his take at least eight weeks. By my last work I am thinking at least the 8 maybe ten.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hi DMiller, the bucket is looking good , wish I could weld that good . I know it's not easy for a hard working man
to sit around and look at the stuff that he wants to fix or repair. Give your self a little time , spend a little time with
family and friends, make a list of stuff that you want to do, read a good book. rest up. sam.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well I crossed that magic line in the sand not long ago, over sixty now so do as I can while I can! I do not weld so hot, do not look too close as has spots where I slipped from the stance I had or fumbled the rod a bit. Is well stuck together but will have comments on quality!! My lack of available positions anymore pretty well limit my all position welds!

Metalman 55

Progress looks good DM..........just follow the recommendations from the others & DO NOT over do it once you are back on track! It can wait for you! I am sure those welds will hold ok.