• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Allis; Is at least out of the mud

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The project is begun. This mess is finally out of the mud behind the barn. And such a mess it is:
IMG_1767.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg
IMG_1775.jpg

By best guess previous owner had inventory from Bobcat or a local small machine sales yard available! Teeth are WAAYY too small!! Cutting edge appears to be old motor grader edge. 1/4" sidewalls, moldboard will need scab in on floor as cracks and worn spots besides the scuff shoes.

And YES, that is how I knew about bucket sidewall holes from teeth, my doing.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Started axing on the floor of the old bucket. Scab upon scab upon scab of steel. Going to end up cutting all away and installing a new 3/8" floor then wear straps on that. Hoowee I bit off a lot here.

Metalman 55

I think I had about 40 hrs into the floor/heel repairs on my bucket on the 941 this past fall. How tight are your pins in the pin bosses? A year ago I welded up the ID of the pin bosses on my bucket & installed new pins/ bushings & it is nice & tight now. That took another 20 hrs. Keep the pictures coming!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Upper pins are great, lowers not so good but better than the MP bucket. I may have to build a alignment jig bore out and weld in bushings. Pins in the bucket are fixed in place once installed, actually roll in the lift arm eyes and those bushings are pretty good for a forty+ year old machine.

crane operator

Didn't know if you'd given up the idea of a bigger dozer/loader than your current rig dmiller. https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/5961987721.html

977 CAT

977 ava mo.jpg

You were looking at a bigger allis weren't you? This one's in Ava mo. Says he's mostly done with a engine replacement- $5,000

It might handle that 4 in 1 bucket a little better, it would be heavier than your current loader wouldn't it?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
No I've decided and set enough cash into this one to keep this lone project do not need another. Still have a Allis 16B I am keeping an eye on but this will be my lone loader.

Stopped by the steel supplier as I went to donate platelets yesterday. They have a odd assortment of AR400 in stock, strap lengths, smaller sheet plates so I am going back with what the bucket had originally. 1/4" mild steel sidewalls will remain, I am thinking I will just section in the holed side instead of sheeting both, 3/8" or 1/2" AR for the floor sheet with 1/2"x5" & 6" skid straps 1/2" on the pin heels. I have the cutting edges, can reman the sidewall edges with smaller edge(Like on skid loader) as 3/4"or 5/8" instead of the 1" I have and do not want to ruin while using a full 1" for the floor edge. Going to have to section the moldboard floor and lip to the cutting edge as it has been hacked up too. Probably cut it back to where the floor had rubbed thru and gotten into the mold board bottom. Will be a little more than your 40 hours metalman I suspect!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used up what little gas my gas axe had left. Will need get tanks filled Friday as start night shifts tomorrow but made a little headway. Inner bottom structure is in decent shape, was full of dirt/organic matter(set afire twice) but otherwise not even too much rust. Tanks next then work to finish the hacking and then scrub the welded on pieces remaining off. Center row support evidently had been welded to floor sheet thru pocket holes in the sheet. Were under the strip skid shoes. New welder is a dream come true!! Set a pad eye for maneuvering the bucket, is SLICK as to welding with!!

IMG_1781.jpg

Metalman 55

When I was doing the bucket repairs on the old 941, the bottom wear plate that I was taking off had some seams that ran from front to back that were welded solid......I think 2 or 3 places. I used carbon rods with compressed air for the removal of mine old plates. Glad to hear that your new welder works good.........It will get a workout on this project for sure.:)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I got further today, used LOTS of gas to get it this far, near to out AGAIN!! Will need to work that out and continue to section out the old cutting edge and cut the moldboard for sectioning at the edge. Considering just dropping out the entire edge section with the mutilated end of the moldboard still attached. Have a cold saw for steel that will make short work of the major length of cut on the moldboard then finish with gas axe and cutoff grinder. What is left of the OE cutting edge is less than 5/8" thick, was originally 1".
IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1799.JPG

CavinJim

Progress! Glad the weather is cooperating. Even though the new site allows much larger photos, you might consider resizing them out of courtesy to those of us who can't get real high speed access. It took nearly 5 minutes just to load one of the bucket photos! Though I could count the bristles on your wire brush. Didn't bother with the second photo.

Metalman 55

20160922_115346.jpg Looks like you have a lot of the cutting n slashin done now! I see the Allis has a double bottom on the bucket with space between them, if I see it right? On the 941 it was just 2 layers tight together. Wonder why Allis did it that way?

CavinJim

Yes, way better! Wish I could convince certain software companies to do that, or Web page designers. There's lots of us just can't get true high speeds. I'm getting ready to put up a 60 ft tower and pay about $100 to get up to 3 m bits per second, which is still slow.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was noting the difference between the two as well. As memory serves some of the older IHC had a square flat bottom as well, may have just been engineering doing what they do. Jim, I am on DSL here was on satellite but that was killing me was so slow/expensive/data limiting and went back to landline.

Have to add, my MP bucket currently on the machine is also double bottomed. May have just been a theory as to wear.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Junk cutting edge and first 10" of moldboard came off today, moldboard was hacked and jacked up almost to back edge of old cutting edge remnant so decided just to lay in a new piece of floor. Will order that tomorrow, just 3/16 flat sheet. Corner bits or what is left of them will get welds ground off to remove them as just too much chunk then can start setting up for side panels and beginning the floor sew in top and bottom. Still lots of garbage to work off the bucket but getting there as well a few of the inner bottom braces welds were cracked.