• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

alfafa: non-herbicide goldenrod kill - and, what about Round-up Ready alfalfa?

TreeHogger

Greetings Gents - I am clearing a few acres of trees (clay ground) to plant alfalfa after the frost danger. My plan is to diversify a bit (I have a tree farm), and tap into some of the crazy horse-people's money - they're paying $8 bucks for a small square bales here in MN!

My question is two-fold:

~ I'd prefer not to use herbicide to kill the copious golden rod that is in the open areas... will a couple of mowings with the bush-hog take it out, so that I may plant alfalfa directly into the sod (mostly brome grass, aside from the goldenrod)??

~ I am told that there's now Round-up Ready alfalfa seed - has anyone used it???

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Mark

712alberta

I don't think your going to have much luck with killing golden rod with mowing alone. Probably best to use the "evil" Round up, and maybe tank mix some 24D with it. Apply at the high rate, and watch things die. Then mow, you may need to work the ground depending on your seeding equipment. We have always seeded Alfalfa into black soil, and with a cover crop of Oats or barley. the cover crop will help to limit the weed problems as the alfalfa gets established.

1466IH

We have had great luck with RR alfalfa but you are gonna have to use some sort of mechanical weed control. I would go over with a moldboard or heavy chisel plow. Check with your local chemical rep and see if there is a pre emerge herbicide that will work with alfalfa. So I would plow then disk then spread seed and run over with a cultimulcher and if possible spray some pre emerge. When you are done you want your hay field as smooth a possible especially if you plan on baling small squares. I'm not sure that I would use 2-4d in your situation since you are on a tree farm. Around here there are only certain times of the year you can use that stuff because it will kill anything that is in bloom if you get any drift. If you really want to spray it I would definitely hire the local co-op to do it because for one they have insurance and they are also better equipped for the job

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grease Gun

1466 is right....you're going to have to work it up so you've got a good seedbed. With regard to RR alfalfa, it's a real good option. You can't use 2,4-D in-crop, so forget about it. Just use Roundup and don't let the weeds get too tall before you spray them. There are lots of other chemical options available as well, but RR is a good idea.

TreeHogger

1466 is right....you're going to have to work it up so you've got a good seedbed. With regard to RR alfalfa, it's a real good option. You can't use 2,4-D in-crop, so forget about it. Just use Roundup and don't let the weeds get too tall before you spray them. There are lots of other chemical options available as well, but RR is a good idea.

Ahhh, much appreciated advice everyone.

And yes, I was told by a friend (farms sandy soil) that he had good success direct seeding RR alfalfa into grass, then spraying to kill weeds after using NRCS's seeder (which drops fert too). I am thinking that perhaps I disc, to level and cut up the goldenrod and other plant residue after the first spring flush - then spray with round-up. Thinking I can skip the plowing as the field has been fallow for at least 50 years (no compaction)?

Frankly, I would like to do the above and mix in some grass and or native flowers into the small field for greater diversity + if the alfalfa doesn't take so well, I still have a hay crop. Thoughts??

Thanks again,
Mark

Grease Gun

Sorry for the delayed response....but be aware that if you go with the RR alfalfa and you spray Roundup in-crop, you'll kill everything except the alfalfa. So if you want a mix of alfalfa and anything else, save some money on the seed and plant regular alfalfa. I figure you already know that, but wanted to be sure.

With the weeds you're working against, I'd go with the RR alfalfa for a year or so until you get the weeds cleaned up and then drill some grass or whatever else you might want into the established alfalfa crop later.