• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Age discrimination?

grandpa

I think that being of the older generation as a mechanic I am still quite a valuable asset if I could just figure out how to get up off the ground once I get down there!

Bully

Supt it's a good find you got there! Like I said, nothing against any one group, just some observations, and some of the younger guys are really hyper-motivated. I've met more guys that are in their early 20's that are homeowners now than there were when I was in my 20's. Youth definately does help on those long days. I can remember staying up too late when I was young, getting 3 hours of sleep, and being able to pull a 12 hr day shoveling stone no sweat and do it again the next day. Now I'm in bed on a work night at 9:00.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Did heavy industrial construction mainly in steel mill melt shops for some 20 years. Assembled melt shop equipment, checked it out and started it up. Struck out on my own 20 years ago in excavating when steel mill stuff died.

Guess what now. The last two years the excavating has sucked but all of a sudden the phone started ringing from the steel mills. As they told me, they need somebody that knows how to do the heavy mechanical and hydraulics that none of the kids can or want to do. Seems they just want to sit in front of a computer screen.

So, I am back in the mills doing what their own people can't and won't do. Needless to say I get pretty much what I want for it too.