• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AFE mulching head

Boulder86

Hello all. I'm new to this forum but I've already found a lot of very useful information on it! I am thinking of adding a mulcher to my lineup of attachments and as a custom fencer Central British Columbia I have got a lot of trees to deal with! I have been wondering if anyone here has run one of these AFE disc type mulchers and if so what was your thoughts on them? The size of the mulch isn't my greatest concern because it will break down fairly quick in our climate, I just want to be able to knock trees down and chew them up on right of ways and also do a bit of clearing for pastures and such. Any thoughts or input is appreciated!

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
The advanced forestry head is a quality attachment. I have a few that I use daily and just bought a brand new one today. I like them allot. Both the drum and the disk have their plus's and minus's.....bit I would not hesitate to buy the AFE head, as long as you are running a high flow machine...good luck !

Boulder86

Hey thanks for the reply! I'm looking to chew up a lot of 5-8" birch, aspen, and willows as well as Douglas firs and small spruce! Really curious how much area I could hope to cover once I get good at running it? Our bush is not all that thick and some of it is rocky but with the way you can see your blade on it I think it would be probably the best style for the area! I have a bobcat t870 which doesn't have quite the hydraulic power of the big Cat but I think the ECO model will work.

pafarmer

Occupation
You will be able to take on 5 to 8 inch trees as you described with ease. It will take that brush like a hot knife through butter.once mastered you should be able to clear 5 to 10 acres in a 6 to 10 hour day. Do not sell the big Bobcat short, it's a big powerful machine and flows hydraulics very good. I assume it's a high flow machine. Keep the disk out of the rocks and dirt, your tooling on the disk will last much longer. AFE sells replacement sets of head tooling, i suggest you get ond with your purchase. Visibility is what this type of head gives the operator. You need hold the head at a slight tilt, the brush will be cut and feed itself into the spinning disk and cut in down to very small pieces that decay quickly on the ground. I own and operate both styles of mulchers and prefer the AFE over the others due to less maintained and better operator visibility and control. You tube has a bunch of good video's that show the capability of the unit and the style in which it should be operated. I just put on one a high Flow 259 D CAT and even the smaller unit works extremely well. Go yo the AFE website and watch a few of their own video's, they clearly , accurately and honestly show what their product can do...hope I answered your questions and don't second guess the AFE mulch , it's a great mulcher IMHO.....

Boulder86

Yeah it is a high flow machine. I have been very happy with the capabilities of the ctl! Through my own research I have been drawn to the AFE disc mulcher vs the drum although I know the drum style has its place I know. Im going to pursue it further and hopefully I can make this a reality come spring!! I have watched every video I can find on this mulcher and it really gets me excited to get out there and start developing some of the nonproductive land that I see all around me here!!

Boulder86

Hey pafarmer would you have a couple before and after pictures you could post and also some on the size of the mulch?

pafarmer

Occupation
We are out working our tails off. I don't have any video's nor would I waste the time or money it would take this old dog to learn how too. What I can offer you is if you navigate your way on the Interweb to Advanced Forestry's website, you can check out what they have to advertise their products...They show exactly what their product is capable of and what it leaves behind. Great product i! Allot less maintenance with the same end result as the rotary drum forestry attachments....keep both out of the rocks and you will get good life and great performance from both. The AFE is cheaper to own and operate IMHO...

rockman

We are out working our tails off. I don't have any video's nor would I waste the time or money it would take this old dog to learn how too. What I can offer you is if you navigate your way on the Interweb to Advanced Forestry's website, you can check out what they have to advertise their products...They show exactly what their product is capable of and what it leaves behind. Great product i! Allot less maintenance with the same end result as the rotary drum forestry attachments....keep both out of the rocks and you will get good life and great performance from both. The AFE is cheaper to own and operate IMHO...

pafarmer ... any major poblems running the afe head at all ?
can you redude the size of the end product down to a smaller size by recutting it or are you better off with a fae style head ?
cheers

mx727

Biggest difference I've seen brought up repeatedly is that the drum style doesn't throw material like the disc does, so when working near roads, house, etc., the drum has an advantage.

rockman

by using the afe disk head , can you still get the chip size down to a presentable size ? ... or are you better off going with the fae , drum style head ?

Todd v.

The disk style, Diamond or AFE, will not leave a fine finished product like a drum mulcher can. They throw debris and you would spend more time chasing the stuff down to reprocess it again. Very quick at getting it rough chopped and on the ground though and less expensive all around like Pafarmer said. They leave more like big toothpicks as opposed to chopped mulch like a drum does. There are also two types of teeth on the drum mulchers, Knife style and carbide, The carbides are better to get in the dirt with, the knife style aren't as durable especially around rocks but are more productive because they are designed to cut/shave more than beatup the wood like a carbide does.