• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advise, please...

ForestDan

I need a skid steer or CTL for my biz, and want to know if anyone has any experience running tracks over tires conversions. I know 95% of this machine's work will be loading whatever into trucks and trailers, pulling my chipper (5K lbs) into the forest and hauling slash and logs (2-3K lbs) out, but a wheeled machine would allow for snow removal during the winter.

I strongly suspect running a wheeled machine with a track kit would be a big compromise in performance, but how well will it work in steep mountains with dry and loose soil?

Lastly, I've borrowed my buddies CAT 287B several times, and like the machine, but he bitches about things with this machine. Actually, he bitches about everything, so I don't know what to think of CAT CTLs. I like the looks of the Bobcats and Gehls, have heard of few good things about Mustangs, ASVs, Case, and Takeuchis, but I need advise from folks who have used them. What about true cost of ownership, and all that? Plus, as I'm in So Cal, how concerned do I need to be regarding TIER II or III engines?

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks guys,

-Dan