• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on starting into skidsteer work??

Stevenbrla

Don't let a saleman tell you ANYTHING.

Then again... anytime you're listening to ANYONE, ask yourself: "What's this guy's ultimate goal in life?"

Wolf

One demo company I know in Philly is offering free X-mas tree pick up and disposal just to stay in their customers' faces. It's a great idea to provide a service and stay top of mind with the customers for when paying jobs do come up. You might consider it.

TECrubbertracks

rubebr tracks

Thanks alot for your comments so far. The 287b we have now is used mostly around the property here. The only issue is, the undercarriage looks like it won't be long before the tracks and rollers will need replaced which isnt cheap. We don't have it payed off either. It sounds like the newer ones without the asv undercarriage are alot better for long term durability. So was thinking it would be better too sell this one and start new, though you are putting out alot of money for a new one. Is there a operating cost that someone might have for a track skidsteer say 80-90 hp?? auctineerhere, when you say contractors you talking about excavating contractors??

Good afternoon, '
The company I currently work for offers complete undercarriages for all rubber track machines. We stand behind a 18 month non prorated warranty for all mini excavators as well as a 14 month non prorated warranty for skid steers. We have the best prices/warranty in the market guarantee. If you have any questions or would like a quote please do not hesitate to email me on here.

Thanks,
TECrubbertracks

Welder Dave

I think you answered your own question about how to get started. You have a friend in the excavating business. Perhaps you can start out by sub contracting for him. He'll be able to gauge how good of an operator you are and put you on some less critical jobs to begin with. It would give you experience and make him a little extra money. You might find you hate trying to run a business by yourself. It can be a PIA trying to do the jobs the jobs you have, estimate other jobs, returning phone calls, collecting your pay, dealing with complaints, losing jobs you spent a lot of time estimating, etc. It's not all fun and games running a business. 1000 hours the 1st year I think is dreaming. The first thing to figure out is what type of jobs you are going to do with your machine. If you want to do residential landscaping, you need a smaller machine no more than 5' wide to fit between houses.