• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ADT roll over.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
This accident happened wedensday evening.

A airforce unit and a instructor borrowed some of our ADT's to do a elementary course on ADT driving to get the "license".
I gave them a practical mission; to transport a amount of crushed rock from a depot into one of my projects inside our camp.:cool:

Winter is present, so they used chains on the ADT's.

But the drivers where advised to not use the retarder...only engine brake and normal brakes.
Works well, if u drive the ADT's in a low gear and don't drive to fast....
Guess the driver didn't do that....:eek:

He has gotten out of a right turn, into a straight, and then drove out on the left side of the road.
Looks to me like he has lost his traction on the front wheels, and gotten it back, when turned to the left....:(

He used his seatbelt, so he wasn't hurt, just a little shocked.

ADT is salvaged and down in the shop. No damage, exept some scratches in the paint.
A lifting eye got bent in the salvage though.:cool:
Mecanics have to check the engine and drivetrain next week...
We don't know how fast he turned the engine off...:confused:

Lessons learned:
- Use the retarder, if there is traction enough. Its the best tool to keep speed down.
- Always keep the speed low enough to be in controll.
- Instructors should have their rumpsteak in the instructor seat before sending newbees out on their own.
- Always wear a seat belt when driving!!!

Pics:
- first two is taken in the evening when it happened.
- third and fourth is the next day.
- five shows two of our armoured engineer vehicles pulling it up. One is stabilising the front and back while the other is pulling it up the slope.(they are pulling 18'+18' and 36'+36000 punds/9+9 18+18t)

Attachments

• mt310 (Small).JPG
    mt310 (Small).JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • mt3101 (Small).JPG
    mt3101 (Small).JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,139
  • mt31 (Small).JPG
    mt31 (Small).JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,145
  • mt312 (Small).JPG
    mt312 (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,151
  • mt313 (Small).JPG
    mt313 (Small).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,146

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
How other parts of the world operate.
Would never have dreamed of putting chains on an ADT,........ hang on,...... would never encounter the need to put chains on an ADT. :eek:
I see you paint those trucks in camoflage :D
Good to hear nobody got injured, pride will buff out ;)

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
We stud the tires on our ADT's for winter work, they are really only for when the truck is empty, as when loaded they will normally behave themselves on icier terrain.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Its an hours ride from the depot into our camp.
Dosen't show on the pics, but its rather steep down theese roads....
Chains is a security must on those roads.

The bad thing about ADT's is when u loose traction, u loose it all over. Then its nice to have some stell knobs to scratch the ice with.
This accident could easily been avoided, in my opinion.
5 other ADT's had no problems on the same route....

Studs is a solution, my experience is they get tored out of the rubber on rock ground.
Normaly u use a ADT on shorter distances and on a filling without snow/ice...Chains is not needed there.
Or u sand the ice real vell to have enough traction.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
We stud the tires on our ADT's for winter work, .

Going to show my ignorance again here :confused:

You make it sound like YOU actually fit the studs rather than change the tyre to a factory studded one. Is this actually what happens and if so How ? and are they removable later ?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Yes we shoot the studs in.
Drill a hole with a spesial drill with the right dimention and depth.
Then u shoot in the stud with a spesial airpowered studpistol.
Then u can have different styles of studs. Also different weights.
Most of this is regulated today, like max overhang on the outside + max weight of the stud.(for use on public roads)

There is also some studs that have treads on the outside so u can "skrew" them in.

You can remove them with a screwdriver or a spesial tool, looks like a nail remover.
Studs wear and its no use in using them over again. Drill a new hole on the side of the old and shoot in a new one.

Sweet memories from the late 80's when doing this in truck tires.(and car tires)
Its hard work, u got to press the studpistol hard into the drilled holes when it shoots in the stud. In Sweden they use super glue in the drilled hole, to hold the studs bether and longer in the tire.

Pics of the drill and a truckstudpistol.

Attachments

• studgun.jpg
    studgun.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,114
  • bor200x153.jpg
    bor200x153.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
You make it sound like YOU actually fit the studs rather than change the tyre to a factory studded one. Is this actually what happens and if so How ? and are they removable later ?

We don't remove them, they do wear out after a while. Not much rock where we use the trucks, just ice on frozen clay. We will put new ones in if needed. Like I said they are only beneficial when the truck is empty.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Yes we shoot the studs in.
Drill a hole with a spesial drill with the right dimention and depth.
Then u shoot in the stud with a spesial airpowered studpistol.

There is also some studs that have treads on the outside so u can "skrew" them in.
Studs wear and its no use in using them over again. Drill a new hole on the side of the old and shoot in a new one.

We don't remove them, they do wear out after a while. Not much rock where we use the trucks, just ice on frozen clay. We will put new ones in if needed. Like I said they are only beneficial when the truck is empty.

WOW ! :notworthy my luck all I'd do is shoot them in tooooo far and get a puncture.
Thanks for the info :cool2