• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Acco Grader

Graderfan1981

d4c24a

Acco built the biggest motorgrader ever. I have read, that they built two types. The prototype is the 6 wheel grader and the other one has 12 wheels.

Here the one which has 12 wheels:
http://realitypod.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ACCO-1700-Grader-new.jpg

And the other with 6 wheels:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/accodozer/sets/72157630103724112/with/7361737364/

Does anybody know what happend to both?
The one with 6 wheels has lost some parts :(

as far as i know scrapped

lantraxco

Both of those links show the same machine, the one with 12 wheels apparently from when it was in working order, the other link showing the machine stripped, probably for transport. He built also the biggest bulldozer yes? Wonder why they weren't successful.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
There are several other threads here on this grader with additional photos and information. If you insert ACCO into our search feature at the top of the page you can find them.

Graderfan1981

Both of those links show the same machine, the one with 12 wheels apparently from when it was in working order, the other link showing the machine stripped, probably for transport. He built also the biggest bulldozer yes? Wonder why they weren't successful.
In a German forum someones says, that are both different machines...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I always thought that there was only ever one prototype of each built - grader and tracked bulldozer. The bulldozer still exists in one piece. However those photos appear to show 2 slightly different graders in that one has what appears to be a motor scraper tractor as the "front end" where the other one has a more conventional non-drive steering axle although the photo is taken from the wrong angle to be able to confirm it 100%. Was one a later version of the other I wonder..?

They weren't successful because at the time they were built a market for machines of that size didn't really exist. If they had been built today instead of almost 30 years ago, who knows.....?

Last edited:

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
At least the big azz dozer was bought and restored, I think it's stored in Italy still just not in Acco's yard. I thought he build those huge machines for a big project in Libya. When the country went all sideways he was not allowed to send them there.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
They weren't successful because at the time they were built a market for machines of that size didn't really exist. If they had been built today instead of almost 30 years ago, who knows.....?
I should have added that even by the standards of the day when they were built, the ACCO product was more than a bit stone-age, or let's be PC and say "not so technologically advanced as the competition". Maybe that's another reason why they never took off.

The fact that Colonel Quadaffi fell out of favour with the rest of the world about that same time also likely had something to do with it.

lantraxco

My apologies, the very last picture on the page brought up by the second link does indeed show a dual engine six wheel grader with a different air cleaner and exhaust setup fore and aft. I still maintain the other pictures are of the same 12 tire machine in a stripped down state. I guess everybody has to have a hobby? lol

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I guess the biggest grader that was actually produced in some numbers and put into daily use was that big Champion? I do not recall the model, but they used one on a dam construction project here in the mid 80's.

d9gdon

Here is the info on the Champion 100T motor grader that you're talking about, all courtesy of Vannatta Bros. website www.vannattabros.com

"In 1975, Dominion Road Machinery, later called Champion Road Machinery, introduced the world's largest production-model grader, the 80-T, which later became the 100-T. This machine was introduced in 1975 as the 80T with a Detroit 16-71N Engine but by 1977 it was modified and repowered with an Cummins V1710 set at 700 hp.

It was a poor seller and reportedly only about 10 of these machines were ever sold before Champion discontinued the product a dozen years later. The model number approximates the weight of the machine in tons. It had a 24 foot blade and an articulated frame. Although bigger graders have been custom made, this seems to qualify as the world's largest production grader.

In 1975, Dominion Road Machinery, later called Champion Road Machinery, introduced the world's largest production-model grader, the 80-T, which later became the 100-T. This machine was introduced in 1975 as the 80T with a Detroit 16-71N Engine but by 1977 it was modified and repowered with an Cummins V1710 set at 700 hp.

It was a poor seller and reportedly only about 10 of these machines were ever sold before Champion discontinued the product a dozen years later. The model number approximates the weight of the machine in tons. It had a 24 foot blade and an articulated frame. Although bigger graders have been custom made, this seems to qualify as the world's largest production grader.

Champion is now part of Volvo, but has a storied history as Champion from Canada. The roots of the product can be traced to a US Patent for a horse drawn grader in 1872 with Champion and its predecessor companies making graders in Canada since 1892. "

champion100t.jpg

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Yes, that is it. Phillips and Jordan Construction used one here in north Texas when they built the dam at Lake Ray Roberts. I got to ride in the cab a few times. The operator had a good view from up there. Except when in reverse.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I always thought that there was only ever one prototype of each built - grader and tracked bulldozer. The bulldozer still exists in one piece. However those photos appear to show 2 slightly different graders in that one has what appears to be a motor scraper tractor as the "front end" where the other one has a more conventional non-drive steering axle although the photo is taken from the wrong angle to be able to confirm it 100%. Was one a later version of the other I wonder..?

Somewhere on the web there is a story with a bunch of pictures and video of the grader and the crawler commisioned and built for Libya. Kadafia's supposed plan was to bulldoze and level cities that housed dissidents. Big toys must have been his answer to his little man complex. The grader was scraped but the dozer remains in a museum. I do not think that there ever was a plan to build more than one of each. The grader was larger than the Champion shown. I would bet that the champion is the largest production grader ever built.

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Yes, that is it. Phillips and Jordan Construction used one here in north Texas when they built the dam at Lake Ray Roberts. I got to ride in the cab a few times. The operator had a good view from up there. Except when in reverse.

Interesting to know. I just drove across the dam today.

1466IH

The Captain coal mine over here in southern illinois was home to a lot of cats prototypes. They had a diesel/elctric grader with haul truck tires and a 30' x8' moldboadrd. they also had a twin engine twin cab haul truck that never had to be turned around. the operator drove down to the shovel, locked the steering and then got on a cat walk and went to the cab at the other end of the machine and drove it out once it was loaded. A friend of mine was a lattice boom welder on merrian drag line and shovels and has some pretty neat picktures

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That sounds like one of the Kress "Cavity" coalhaulers. Kress put the cab down low under the end of the hopper overhang.