• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A couple ford l9000 design questions

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
1. Who on earth designed these tanks? You might as well cut that bottom step off because it is worthless. Also, looks like they could've put a bigger tanks there to, lots of room between tank and fender, which does come in handy when greasing the truck.
PLEASE DON'T MIND THE FILTH, IT HAS BEEN A PRETTY CRAPPY DAY HERE!

TANK(SMALL).jpg

2. I only seen a few extended front bumpers on L's. Is this something the factory would've done because of a customer order, or something aftermarket? The only reasoning to do this that makes any sense would be to bring it away from the truck so if something hits the bumper, it doesn't explode the radiator, grille, hood, etc...

FRONT BUMBER (SMALL).jpg

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
All of my old L series trucks have a big luberfiner oil filter mounted on drivers side frame in front of fuel tank.

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
I don't know for sure but all of mine have them. The only thing i can figure is it is for extra filtration.

redneckchevy9

Occupation
It is a externally mounted canister filter system.

I seen that when I googled it, but I wasn't sure what the advantages were or if they were only run in certain areas of the US where working conditions demanded extra filters

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
Could be All the truck I have all have them. My trucks range from 1974-1987 models your truck is newer maybe they changed the way they did them.

redneckchevy9

Occupation
I have seen several tractors with a 3 air tank setup in that empty space, not sure what was on the other side though. Not many L9000's around here, but a lot of 8's with driver side tank & steps on passenger side. Glad I have 2 tanks at least.

Old Doug

I havent seen a luberfiner filter in a long time but years ago it seems like they all had them. When i was 18 i work for a guy that had several trucks. When he retiered he gave me some big boxes of luberfiner filters. I had them in one of my dads buildings. Some one took them out of the big boxes they were in and set them up in the rafters. Back then they were not wraped up by the time i found them they were junk.