• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977h engine performance problem

brendano

Hi
This 977 I have is being a problem, it has a d333 engine and runs smooth until revs are increased above about 1/2 throttle. I have been through the fuel system, replaced filter, cleaned out primary bowl and gauze, removed air filter, replaced injector nozzles, even tried fitting a high pressure electric fuel pump and also checking the turbo bearings, but the engine still is breaking down under high fuel demand situations. Running out of ideas. Running out of patience. If anyone can help that would be great.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have you tried checking fuel pressure, say at the outlet from the secondary fuel filter? Should be about 30 Psi

Last edited:

Bob/Ont

What are you saying? Runs rough under no load or dies when a load applied ? If rough at no load replace the horseshoe spring and two dowels that drive the governor. it makes governor run smoothly. If this is your problem you can feel the rack pulsing and holding it steady will smooth out engine.
Later Bob

brendano

More info

Fuel pressure is reading ok,dash gauge reads from output side of secondary filter .Engine breaks down above half throttle on no load ,sooner under load .How do I set the overhead ?

brendano

Thanks for your help guys but it turned out to be a blocked stator inside the turbo which I only found after dismantling it. Obviously the restricted exhaust flow to the turbine was not letting the turbo spool up enough. Machine is now running awesome. Thanks again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks for your help guys but it turned out to be a blocked stator inside the turbo which I only found after dismantling it. Obviously the restricted exhaust flow to the turbine was not letting the turbo spool up enough. Machine is now running awesome. Thanks again.

I'm going to assume this machine was smoking bad when it was working hard?