• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'97 New Holland Powershift

Duke

Can I trust a 12 yr old powershift trans in a New Holland 675E backhoe?

What's the exchange & installation price on one of them?

I can't help but think they're like automatic transmissions in trucks-nice to drive, but BIG $$ to replace. :eek:

Duke

Also,

I used to have a Ford 555E. This is a '97 New Holland.

Anyone know the New Holland machines? Reliable, well built, etc.?

Grader Dane

Occupation
Owner operator of grader and Loaderbackhoe
i burght my first New Holland NH95 in 97 it is the same thing as the 675E but with side shift. I think the transmission is pretty reliable in general BUT it is 12 years and how many hours since it was new ? and how has it been serviced since?
I traded mine off 8months later to the first LB115 that was sold here becaurse the converter was too weak.That problem was later solved on a New Holand service program for a small fee.
But if you wont to go to the next step find a LB115 with the 5.0l New Holland engine in it put some 19,5-24 Michelins with good lugs on it and you will really have a good maschine, that ismuch more stabil than the 675E
If you have more questions feel free to ask

Mackcat

Can I trust a 12 yr old powershift trans in a New Holland 675E backhoe?

What's the exchange & installation price on one of them?

I can't help but think they're like automatic transmissions in trucks-nice to drive, but BIG $$ to replace. :eek:
I have owned several Ford/ New Holland backhoes and currently own a B95. All I can say is they are great Machines never had any trouble with any of them. I owned a 555E It WAS a good machine, only thing I thought it was weak in 2nd gear but they have solved this problem my B95 has awesome power in any gear

Duke

i burght my first New Holland NH95 in 97 it is the same thing as the 675E but with side shift. I think the transmission is pretty reliable in general BUT it is 12 years and how many hours since it was new ? and how has it been serviced since?
I traded mine off 8months later to the first LB115 that was sold here becaurse the converter was too weak.That problem was later solved on a New Holand service program for a small fee.
But if you wont to go to the next step find a LB115 with the 5.0l New Holland engine in it put some 19,5-24 Michelins with good lugs on it and you will really have a good maschine, that ismuch more stabil than the 675E
If you have more questions feel free to ask

I'd love to own an LB series, but the cost is way out of reach.

I see that the 675E is 101HP, so it is actually more powerful than the 580 SuperM series 2 I just sold (90 HP).

I just wonder if the New Holland powershift is real weak compared to the shuttle shift? Is there any gears that lock-up? Is it mushy & weak?

guss

i have a 675e with the powershift,love it,had it now for about 6 years,no problems at all.the dealer i deal with is a pretty big dealership,they normally sell 100 backhoes a year,im pretty good friends with a couple of the mechanics,and they both say they have never had a problem with the trans,the 97 had a wrong stall speed torque converter in the early 97s,but other than that,pretty much bullit proof,they shift them selfs,

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
I am not really up to newer stuff, but we always bought big Fords. If this helps, my
plate on left side of transmission says Allison never a problem bought in 1988 one
brute of a loader. Now get this = How to sell a backhoe. Years ago we started with
an already tired MF gas loader backhoe gears no power steering, no more than a
farm tracton with backhoe, but better that a hand shovel. Gotta be in the late '60s
cruised in our loacal Ford dealer, dont know anyone, they dont know me. Jumped in
a new 5500 LTB. wow so big, glass, heat power shift power steering. Big big tires,
17ft reach 1 1/2 bucket. diesel . Owner comes out, go play, totally awesome. Told him
we just opened a big gravel pit. He insisted for me to try it out no strings attach. They
brought it down. Talk about loading 10wheelers wicked oh wind/wipers too. Im getting
worried cause I used it for a mo. Then one day that big tan LTD came in, oh no. He
said, what do you think of it now. I said crying, I cant give it back. He said "I knew
you would say that". Right on his car hood he said sign here. Payments start in 4mo.
(skip plan) $680 MO. no SS no. no how much i make, no credit scores , no nothing but
his Ink pen. So he knew, years later we bought another new one this one in 1988.
When looking for a mid size excav. last year, same place (owner died) an hour in
their office, credit scores mothers name insurance cards got a license. Hey see ya!
So im saying those Fords/New Hollands will take a beating. Ill bet right now, due to
our problems it is possible they might go back old school salesmen. They now have a
lot of new machines and they are now stuck with them.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Assuming the powershift transmission in the newholland is the same as a case i wouldnt trust it. (case owns newholland) The powershift trans. tend not to last in the case loaderbackhoes (big repair job too, cab must be removed to remove transmission)

guss34

Assuming the powershift transmission in the newholland is the same as a case i wouldnt trust it. (case owns newholland) The powershift trans. tend not to last in the case loaderbackhoes (big repair job too, cab must be removed to remove transmission)

on new holland you dont have to remove cab,it drops right out the bottom,looks pretty simple.i dont rember but i thing clark makes it,not allison.when i get mine back home i will look and see.as far as price,on a new tractor the powershift is about a $10,000 option

Duke

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
I have a 2001 LB110 with a powershift. At 4500 hrs it started to shift hard. It wasn't a huge deal, but it kind of klunked going back and forth. I had it repaired because I still had warranty. (5yrs!) There is a valve bank inside the tranny, and you have to pull the engine and tranny to get at it, so it was a big job. When they opened it up they found some metal filings, although they couldn't figure out where they came from, so they put a new tranny in for me instead of repairing it. Up till that point, I never had an issue, and I guess it would have shifted hard for another 4500 hrs before it gave up for real.

Duke

It's funny you dug up this old thread of mine to get your 3 posts in.

Since this thread I bought an LB 115. I really like it and oh, by the way, the powershift transmission is a Dana/Spicer.

Extendahoe

Just bought my first backhoe... a 555E New Holland 2wd. 1998-99 model. The local dealer looked up my model number and he said it was built in Sept. 1998.. would that mean its considered a 1998 or would that have been built for the new 1999 models coming out for that year? So far I love it. It has 4700 hrs. on it, looks like new almost. Under neath its paint looks new almost. A utility company bought it new and traded it in for the new model. Looks like it prolly got a lot of idel hours. Not sure if thats good or bad. Its very tight all over. I would like to hear from other new holland backhoe operators and owners.. what you think, likes and dislikes about the NH. So I read in different threads here that Case owns New Holland and that New Holland owns Case... I give, which is it? Not that it matters I guess. I love my machine and I'm proud of it.

It's funny you dug up this old thread of mine to get your 3 posts in.

Since this thread I bought an LB 115. I really like it and oh, by the way, the powershift transmission is a Dana/Spicer.

Hi Duke, I've been reading you comments from several months ago concern your LB 115. How do you like if now? I'm considering buying one, but was concerned that the may be "light duty" compared to JCB that I am more familiar with. Also can you tell me how to shift the power shift transmission. It does not change speed when you turn the shifter. The light will show that it is shifting from 1 to 2 etc. but the speed doesn't change. I think the problem is me rather than the machine.
In any case have you had any problems? Would appreciate your comments.Thanks.. Fred

Bearmtnmartin

Occupation
excavation contractor
Your tranny defaults to second gear when you roll it forward once. If you have not switched it to manual mode with the switch on the dash, it should automatically move through the gears with no further input from you. The button on the end of the stalk drops it momentarily into first for digging into a pile.